• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I got news for you. The 4.5 Blue label Superman # 1 is the Rarer book of the two.

Ajusted for condition in an unrestored state that is.

I think the book is worth 60k today.

Superman is my choice.

How so? I was under the impression there are like, twenty or so Suspense 3's with most of them missing a page. I may be way off but that's what I recall reading. I'd be surprised if the supes was the rarer book, ESPECIALLY adjusted for condition.

I think that along with Batman #1, Superman # 1 Is the most Restored goldenage key of all time.Look at the census.It is lopsided in favor of restored books.This book is really tuff unrestored and when you start going over 4.0 it really gets scarce.

Superman #1 is a classic beautiful cover.

I think that along with Batman #1, Superman # 1 Is the most Restored goldenage key of all time.Look at the census.It is lopsided in favor of restored books.This book is really tuff unrestored and when you start going over 4.0 it really gets scarce.

Superman #1 is a classic beautiful cover.

That may be, but try finding an unrestored Suspense 3 in 8.0. I don't care if you take restoration and grade into account, the Suspense is still the rarer book I think. I'd rather have the supes too, ugly foxing and all, but a suspense 3 in 8.0 is not a book you see every day - I think you're underselling the rarity of the suspense. There's a reason it went for 50 grand even as a so-so (there, I said it) Schomburg cover.

Im not saying a Superman # 1[in 4.5] is blow away rarer than a suspence # 3 [8.0]

It is up for grabs but I would pick the Sup because it seams everytime you run into a Sup1 some where some how , Its always found with resto on it.

I do understand that Suspence 3 in any grade is scarce[i have owned one before]

and it is scarce/rare in 8.0 and above.

I also understand that its tuff to find complete being that there are no staples[glue holds the pages together]

Suspense 3 for me. I can always sell it later when I find a Supe 1 that is not butt ugly like that one.

Suspense 3 for me. I can always sell it later when I find a Supe 1 that is not butt ugly like that one.

To who? The market for $50,000 non-key, non-mile high, golden age is kind of slim..

I'm confident I could find a copy that I would like better than the Supe 1 shown here. While I waited I would have a Suspense 3. I can deal with that. Not that I'll get to. tonofbricks.gif

Suspense #3 in 8.0 for me, please, because it's Schomburg, high-grade, unrestored, rare, uber-classic, and likely to be in the running for highest-graded copy for a long long time.

...And also because maybe that's a 3rd-print Superman wink.gif

To who? The market for $50,000 non-key, non-mile high, golden age is kind of slim..

Ciorac is right again!

The market for $50,000 non-keys is slim......good thing Suspense 3 is a key! In fact, in the world of GA classic covers, it is in the top 3 I would venture to say to virtually all collectors, and to many it is probably #1, including yours truly. When Heritage auctioned this book off, it was used as the background on the front cover of their Signature Auction catalogue.......they knew it would be one of the biggest and most important books they were offering, and they were right! Not only is it a key classic cover, but also THE key (IMO) piece of comic art ever created by Schomburg. I know some collectors struggle with buying a comic for its cover and not its content or characters, but in the "classic cover" world this is as good as it gets. Throw in the books true scarcity in any grade, and extreme rarity in this grade, plus a pedigree for some extra status and flair, and you have not just "a key", but the ingredients for "a great key".....even though no one is wearing tights or a cape tongue.gif

Want to see a new world record for OA ? See what happens if this cover OA ever hits the market 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ( unless Jon Berk already owns that too wink.gif)

In fact, in the world of GA classic covers, it is in the top 3 I would venture to say to virtually all collectors,

it is not in my top 300 let alone top 3.

THE key (IMO) piece of comic art ever created by Schomburg.

No offense but I think you've read one too many auction catalogs gossip.gif There are many Schomburg works that are far superior. If it wasn't for:

- the rarity

- the fact that its part of a run that includes killer lb cole covers

- and most of all, its prominent place in the photo journal

few would give a SPOON about this cover. It's just not that great a cover. Far, far, far from his best. yeahok.gif

No offense but I think you've read one too many auction catalogs gossip.gif There are many Schomburg works that are far superior.

few would give a SPOON about this cover. It's just not that great a cover. Far, far, far from his best. yeahok.gif

That's why I added the phrase ( IMO ) makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I was speaking for myself. I'm sure some others would prefer Schomburg war covers....I like this one the best.....(and based on the $47,000 sales price of this book, I am confident I am not alone gossip.gif)

The price for both was approx. $47,000. Which one would you choose, and why?

1527299-supes1.jpg

are you kidding me ?? OK, I know that the Suspense 3 has a cool Schomburg cover, but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ?? yes the Supes #1 presented here has some foxing and some surface dirt, but it isn't the worst GA book I've seen, (you "pretty book" people are killing the hobby sign-rantpost.gif)

besides, If I picked the Suspense 3, I would be reminded everyday, that I passed on an Unrestored Superman # 1.

Superman #1 for me please, all day (and night) long cloud9.gif

are you kidding me ?? OK, I know that the Suspense 3 has a cool Schomburg cover, but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

One of the most high demand and rare in grade GA Classic Covers that ever walked the face of this planet makepoint.gif