• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I'm surprised everyone thought this one was so easy, although I did think most people would probably choose the Action 1.

As soon as you posted it, I knew it would be a shut out. Action 1 - 10 / All Star 3 - 0. If you think about it, there are over 600,000 different comic books ( not total number printed, number of different issues ), and Action 1 is number 1 of them all.

#1 out of 600,000 !!! hail.gif ( I'm getting excited because I'm seriously considering selling some books that were going to be keepers ( you know how that goes) to help fund the purchase of an Action 1 and Tec 27 within the next year or two, as they become available --upper end of low grade, unrestored ( suprise suprise) and nice looking will be my criteria)

Recent manipulation is "posssible" as I use it in my frame of reference, but I want to think it's unlikely. The quality of such books I think attract quality collectors.

Some of the Nationals are reliably rumored to have been "improved."

Hi Adam, the point of my last post was to illustrate that while books like this are in the hands of true collectors like Jon Berk they will not be improved. If these same books are transferred to a like-minded collector as Jon Berk, they books will stay that way. If not, then it's possible that some of the " less perfect" books will be "improved".I noticed that you said "some" of the Nationals have been improved.Why haven't all of them been reliably rumored to have been improved? Is it perhaps because some of them are not candidates for improvement?

Hi Adam, the point of my last post was to illustrate that while books like this are in the hands of true collectors like Jon Berk they will not be improved. If these same books are transferred to a like-minded collector as Jon Berk, they books will stay that way. If not, then it's possible that some of the " less perfect" books will be "improved".I noticed that you said "some" of the Nationals have been improved.Why haven't all of them been reliably rumored to have been improved? Is it perhaps because some of them are not candidates for improvement?

I don't have the details on a book by book basis so I can't provide any more reliable rumors that what I stated. But I'd be happy to make up some unreliable rumors if you'd like. yay.gif

So it seems that Detective 27 and Action 1 always win when put up against others. Time to ban those from this thread? wink.gif

Let's match 'em up against each other for the 1st time in this thread...(.I think)

Both sold several years ago for approx. $48,000.

Which Grail would you choose?

Action 1 graders notes: "small donor piece added to 1st wrap with tape"

1516629-action1.jpg

........................or

1516629-tec27.jpg

I'll weigh in after you guys on this one

1516629-tec27.jpg.0d176812f17d8e68a52156cabd6b328a.jpg

I would usually say the Action #1, but that's alot of tape on that spine, and the Tec, looks nicer, even with the missing chunk, so I'd take the 'Tec, and maybe sell it to get me an equally nice Action #1 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So it seems that Detective 27 and Action 1 always win when put up against others. Time to ban those from this thread? wink.gif

Let's match 'em up against each other for the 1st time in this thread...(.I think)

Both sold several years ago for approx. $48,000.

Which Grail would you choose?

Action 1 graders notes: "small donor piece added to 1st wrap with tape"

1516629-action1.jpg

........................or

1516629-tec27.jpg

I'll weigh in after you guys on this one

Time for a sign-rantpost.gif

I'd pass on both for the price. Here is why.

As many of you know, I am a devout slab cracker. After cracking dozens of these things, here is what I have learned:

As it relates to page quality -

If the label says - WHITE pages ----- expect Off-white (in some cases- cream to off-white.

If the label says - Off-White to WHITE pages --- expect Cream to Off-White or Cream

If the label says - Cream to Off-white -- Expect them to be slightly brittle and tan

Anything else -- back away from the book

Since both of these books have "cream to off-white" on the label, and the bottom left corner of the Tec 27 looks brittle, along with its tan exposed corner, I'd pass.

Now that begs the question, do the holders cause rapid page deterioration? Or do I just have a different interpretation of white, off-white, etc pages are?

Time for a sign-rantpost.gif

I'd pass on both for the price. Here is why.

As many of you know, I am a devout slab cracker. After cracking dozens of these things, here is what I have learned:

As it relates to page quality -

If the label says - WHITE pages ----- expect Off-white (in some cases- cream to off-white.

If the label says - Off-White to WHITE pages --- expect Cream to Off-White or Cream

If the label says - Cream to Off-white -- Expect them to be slightly brittle and tan

Anything else -- back away from the book

Since both of these books have "cream to off-white" on the label, and the bottom left corner of the Tec 27 looks brittle, along with its tan exposed corner, I'd pass.

Now that begs the question, do the holders cause rapid page deterioration? Or do I just have a different interpretation of white, off-white, etc pages are?

for the few GA books I've submitted myself, I've found that CGC has been pretty much dead on, when designating PQ, I haven't cracked out any books that have been graded, so I can only speak for the raw books that I've checked out myself and then sent to CGC.

perhaps they are more lenient on higher dollar books such as these.

Edited by thedude

do the holders cause rapid page deterioration? Or do I just have a different interpretation of white, off-white, etc pages are?

Bill, I think both you and I have a different interpretation of color page than CGC on certain/most books. I had a Famous Funnies #1 that I KNOW had text book definition, undisputable light cream/cream pages and it came back as off-white....I almost fell off my chair! This has happened many times with me, so I know its not a fluke. You would think accurately nailing down color page would be the easiest part of grading...much simpler than resto detection and assigning a technical grade.

It works for you if you are going to sell, but you have to be careful if you are looking to buy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif