• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Batman #5...I love the double covers cloud9.gif

please help me understand confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif....the ONLY reason I chose Flash 123 is due to the double cover on the Batman 5. If the Batman was a "regular" 9.6 I would have never compared the 2 books, as the Batman would be no contest against any SA Flash.

I have always viewed double covers as an undesirable printing defect, yet virtually all of you found it to be "cool"......why???????????? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I actually collect double covers and I think they are a great printer defect. I just like being possibly the only person in the world to own a double cover of a comic. If you don't like the double cover, just rip off the outer cover (but don't actually do this or else wink.gif).

Yeah, tough to craft a rational argument in favor of the Flash here. Plus, in 30 years when no one collects comics anymore, the Batman will have at least retained some value as a vestigial cultural icon while the Flash will be worth pennies on the dollar as an esoteric curiosity.

hello all...

I will still be collecting in 30 years (I hope...gulp!)

Batman for me

rick

So will lots and lots of people. This is the first thing I have ever disagreed with Win on. He may have said it tongue in cheek. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hello all...

I agree, it has to be t/c smile.gif

rick

Now which one are you going to choose, with $97,000 of cold hard cash on the line?........

1579980-capone.jpg

..................or

1579980-spidey1.jpg

as my SA past continues to tug on my coat tails, Spidey 1 for me

Cap....it's his first appearance....ASM 2nd appearance....Trump

I'll take my hand at posting the options. In this case they are books for the upcoming Heritage Auction.

Guides for $3450

823014042o.jpg

Guides for $3300

823086003o.jpg

The PL for sure - now if it were Red Dragon #7, I would go for that - even though it guides for less.

Now which one are you going to choose, with $97,000 of cold hard cash on the line?........

1579980-capone.jpg

..................or

1579980-spidey1.jpg

Spidey. Cap 1 is probably the easiest big time key to find in grade. This copy may not even make the top 5. Spider-Man is a cultural icon in the top 3 all time, even though the cover is butt ugly.

Spidey. Cap 1 is probably the easiest big time key to find in grade. This copy may not even make the top 5. Spider-Man is a cultural icon in the top 3 all time, even though the cover is butt ugly.

Probably Spidey 1 -- which can actually be a very pretty cover if you don't have the transfer stain like this copy. I don't think it's quite Sub-Mariner 31 butt ugly.

hello all..

wow, I have to think about this one (great choice this round)....

considering I can buy the WC copy of Cap 1 from Filter (if I had any desire to own a cap 1), I have to say ASM1, cuz I don't know anyone that has one that nice...

rick

This is a tough one. I don't like that the Cap 1 9.0 used to be an 8.5. (I would feel weird paying an extra $20k or so for a book that used to be the same grade as the 8.5 I currently own just because it is now in a new label) But at the same time, even as a 9.0 the book looks good. (Doesn't look over-graded even as a 9.0) Also have to keep in mind that after selling for $97k, that Cap 1 has already been resold for something like $135k.

Spidey 1 is the easier sale, but Cap 1 is the cooler book, and I think has the most upside.

I'd probably take the Cap 1 and buy a VF/NM Spidey #1 for 1/5th of the price of that 9.6.

This is a tough one. I don't like that the Cap 1 9.0 used to be an 8.5. (I would feel weird paying an extra $20k or so for a book that used to be the same grade as the 8.5 I currently own just because it is now in a new label) But at the same time, even as a 9.0 the book looks good. (Doesn't look over-graded even as a 9.0) Also have to keep in mind that after selling for $97k, that Cap 1 has already been resold for something like $135k.

Spidey 1 is the easier sale, but Cap 1 is the cooler book, and I think has the most upside.

I'd probably take the Cap 1 and buy a VF/NM Spidey #1 for 1/5th of the price of that 9.6.

hello all...

A...do you think you could re sub your Windy city copy and get a 9.0 out it smile.gif

rick

A...do you think you could re sub your Windy city copy and get a 9.0 out it smile.gif

rick

I wish I could but probably not. I think the dust shadows keep it out of the 9.0 range. I think I read on these boards once though that dust shadows could be removed (or at least diminished) by some sort of dry-cleaning process that is not considered resto by CGC. So with a little work maybe it could get a 9.0, but I would definitely say no on a straight resubmission.