• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

more fun 53 for me please! Bailey's cover, spectre makes his costume + all the other features in the book win over superboy 1 for me.

What Shiv says.

I've always thought Superboy #1 was a cool book, but not as cool as MF 53!

There was a "one that got away" story with me that included a Superboy #1. Lady comes into the store back in '93 with a nice golden age collection she had been left. Only about 75 books, but they were all nice. The sweetest book was a Superboy #1 in very high grade. She asked me if I was interested, of course I was. She asked me what they were worth and what I would pay. I carefully graded each book and made her a fine offer. She promptly said "Thank you", and began to leave. Confused, I asked her if she was going to sell them or not, she replied "Not" and walked out the door! Never knew what happened to them....

"note to self......do not sell off everything I own to buy up every Superboy #1 I can possibly find" stooges.gif

And yet they sold for approx the same price proving that the people with the money to spend made a different decision than most of us would. Takes all kinds...

"note to self......do not sell off everything I own to buy up every Superboy #1 I can possibly find" stooges.gif

And yet they sold for approx the same price proving that the people with the money to spend made a different decision than most of us would. Takes all kinds...

I think this is a bit of a label chaser scenario. The 9.2 superboy is, I would think, a very high grade for that book. I haven't checked the census, but that would be my guess. So there's a bit of the super high grade mentality at work, I suspect, that isn't really in play on the 8.0 MF, or at least not to the same extent. I think most of us on this thread (and most collectors in general really) would go for the bigger book in the lower grade over the opposite (ie smaller book in higher grade)... so the clean sweep isn't that surprising...

Put me down for the Superboy#1 over the MF53. Im not a huge fan of Superboy, In fact its one of the slowest DC hero titles. But, MF53 has never done it for me. I think its always been overvalued as part 2 of the origin. Say what? You only get one first appearance/origin and for Spectre its MF52.

Id also take the Mystery Men#1 as its in far better condition. There seem to be far more Detective collectors (around here especially!) but, Id also wait for a better copy. Then again, Im not going for #1 - 26 so knock yerselves out guys. Id like em, but my priorities lie elsewhere.

Hey AdamStrange,

I could be wrong, but I'm taking this is an unwelcomed sarcastic dig towards me?.......

I'll let this one slide......this one

I don't think that was a shot at you at all..

I hope you're right Bronty.....it was one of those comments that could be taken one of several ways, and with the whole email thing vs. face to face to thing, it can be hard to tell sometimes, as many of us have seen all to often on these very Boards.....especially since the comment lacked any of these: 893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gifblush.gif) sign-rantpost.gif27_laughing.gifacclaim.gifflowerred.giftongue.gif893blahblah.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifscrewy.gifdevil.gif