• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I got with Bats

notation of the little bit of glue doesn't bother me, and a tear that small likely doesn't affect the appearance of the book to the point it should be considered "restored"...but, I am a batman kind of guy

rick

I could not spend real cash on this book ( virtually any book ) due to graders notes of "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover".

Steve

Steve,

To be fair, it doesn't appear that your first choice would be to buy any slabbed book. You have stated that your preference is to buy raw, get it slabbed, and then possibly sell it. That being said, you would really pass on a high grade golden age comic simply because it had a notation "minor amount of glue on cover"? Is there a price point where that notation would be acceptable? Do you feel that it should be priced exactly the same as a book in a purple label with a different kind of minor restoration? Do you think that the person who wasn't bothered by the notation and spent the big money overpaid?

Richard

(fixed this) Bat #1 would probably be the better longer term investment although I would prefer to have the MF#52 as its a much tougher book to acquire, especially in high grade. I don't mind the "slight glue" notation just wish it WASN'T on the label. It would be nice if the notes were online so that kind of stuff could be easily accessed and then they could leave that stuff off the label (too distracting).

Edited by Silver Surfer

I could not spend real cash on this book ( virtually any book ) due to graders notes of "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover".

Steve

Steve,

To be fair, it doesn't appear that your first choice would be to buy any slabbed book. You have stated that your preference is to buy raw, get it slabbed, and then possibly sell it. That being said, you would really pass on a high grade golden age comic simply because it had a notation "minor amount of glue on cover"? YESI[/] Is there a price point where that notation would be acceptable? YES Do you feel that it should be priced exactly the same as a book in a purple label with a different kind of minor restoration? NO Do you think that the person who wasn't bothered by the notation and spent the big money overpaid? NO

Richard

Steve

Steve,

To be fair, it doesn't appear that your first choice would be to buy any slabbed book. You have stated that your preference is to buy raw, get it slabbed, and then possibly sell it. That being said, you would really pass on a high grade golden age comic simply because it had a notation "minor amount of glue on cover"? YESIs there a price point where that notation would be acceptable? YES Do you feel that it should be priced exactly the same as a book in a purple label with a different kind of minor restoration? NO Do you think that the person who wasn't bothered by the notation and spent the big money overpaid? NO

Richard

Steve,

Thanks for elaborating.

Richard

Both of these books sold in 2006, with a blended average sales price for each around $110,000. Which one would you choose, and why???

I would have to go with the Bat on this one.....as much as this NM- More Fun 52 is probably one of the rarest big GA keys in grade, I could not spend $110,000 of real cash on this book ( virtually any book ) due to graders notes of "very minor amount of glue on spine of cover". Where is the purple label??? That glue did not jump out of its tube and happen to land on the spine......I would guess there is a little tear under that glue dot.....but I digress. If not for the graders notes/glue, I would choose the MF52 instantly. Batman #1 for me!

Steve

I'd take the pair for $175K and be quite pleased with the deal

Easy for me. Bat 1. Hes way More popular . The books High Grade. Its Unrestored. Its a Rare book in HIGH grade which everyone forgets or does not realize. How many above 8.5 unrestored to you think there are? The amature restorers couldnt resist touching up that beautiful cover.This may be the most restored key b ook of all time. Unrestored is really scarce and High Grade unrestored is arguably rare and competes with More Fun in rarity at 8.5 and up[unrestored] or at least the difference is no where near as big as you think. Bat 1 seams to always pop up unrestored to me.

The More Fun 52 is restored. I dont believe the glue fell on it by accident in a strategically significant spot.Views on restoration are constantly changing.You are always going to have to worry about what future generations of comic collectors are going to think about the dot of glue. I am not willing to take that chance from an investors perspective.This problem will never exsist with the above mentioned Bat 1. I must remember to mention this is only MY opinion before the Battalions come in.

As someone who collected primarily SA and BA for 15 years, my perspective on Restoration is generally from the "Hate it" school of thought. However, at a Forum dinner a couple of years ago, Steve Borock, who, to my understanding, once owned the More Fun # 52, described the beauty of the book and the logic behind assigning the grade and label that CGC did. He made a persuasive argument that the inconsequential (and entirely unneccesary) repair shouldn't tarnish what is still by far the nicest known copy of a tough GA key.

Not being a Batman fan, I'd probably take the MF # 52. I'd echo the concern of others that between the restoration and the fact that few people will even know who the Spectre is in 20 years, the potential to "cash out" your investment (nevermind book a profit) is much tougher with the MF. But still, its a damn cool book.

:shy:

It pains me to say More Fun #52, being as big a batman fan as I am. Finding a nice Bat #1 isn't nearly as hard as finding a nice MF#52! You may not find another 8.5 but a 6.0 or up should pop up for sale eventually. I can't say the same for the MF. You also have to factor the 9.2 grade and Larson pedigree on the MF.

The glue is no biggy for me......I have the New Adventure #19 Larson that got a purple label because of glue and it doesn't bother me in the least. I can surely understand how it might bother others though.

There you go!! 2c

Edited by Socratic Wonder

The bothering all depends on the price. At 110k it bothers me.I keep saying to myself that 110k could not buy me an unrestored book !

hm Fair point!

I didn't think of it that way.

I always find great sense in what Peter says :)

rick

MF #52 hands down - blue label - purple label - I could give a flying fig - it is a stunning copy with a extremely minor spot of glue, and the coolest DC major key as far as i am concerned. Batman #1 is arguably "more important", but it is far too common to get me excited about it and has an exceedingly generic looking cover to boot.

As for the earlier Batman/Spectre face off - tougher call , but that 'Tec #27 is pretty ratty ( not that I don't buy low low grade when the price is right ), and Spectre cover More Funs just generally appeal to me more than pre-Robin 'Tecs (even the BIG one), though a 'Tec #31 MF #53 face -off might have me whistling a different tune.

I think Steve owned the Mile High More Fun 52. Not the Larson. Unless he had both? Both books are the same grade at any rate and both have very minor restoration in blue labels. Small world.

Ah, I see. Actually, I only read the text of Showcase-4's post (I guess the scans were posted later) and I just assumed the book in question was the Mile High copy.