• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Bill, I am glad you mentioned "boring to the point of excrutiating".

oops! Sorry Rich, I forgot we are only supposed to talk about how pretty the covers are...... flowerred.gif

Pretty cover on the AF 15.....ooohhhh.....ahhhhh...

Better? angel.gif

Bill, you big lovable nerd!

These are just for you....

batman9.jpg

superman18.jpg

DC RULES...there, I said it. Are you happy?

Edited by MrBedrock

oops! Sorry Rich, I forgot we are only supposed to talk about how pretty the covers are...... flowerred.gif

Better? angel.gif

batman9.jpg

superman18.jpg

hey, doesn't that real fact 5 i just bought have that same shot of bats and the boy?

batman9.jpg

hey, doesn't that real fact 5 i just bought have that same shot of bats and the boy?

You bet it does! In fact DC was so hard up for good covers that they used it on Batman 16 too!

But I shouldn't say that too loud or I might get another "*spoon* PLEASE" outta Bill.

batman9.jpg

You bet it does! In fact DC was so hard up for good covers that they used it on Batman 16 too!

But I shouldn't say that too loud or I might get another "*spoon* PLEASE" outta Bill.

You wouldn't see Timely doing anything like ever, especially with, say, giant-sized annuals.

"might"? i can count on him to defend mama d.c. more than i can count on my wristwatch. and i've got a pretty good one.

batman9.jpg

You wouldn't see Timely doing anything like ever, especially with, say, giant-sized annuals.

Apples to oranges. It is one thing to reprint a cover on a comic full of reprints. It is another to reuse images to make a cover on a book full of "new" material. How many times did Timely do that? Now list the times DC pulled off this wonderful artistic feat. Have fun using your friends fingers and toes as you count.

batman9.jpg

Apples to oranges. It is one thing to reprint a cover on a comic full of reprints. It is another to reuse images to make a cover on a book full of "new" material. How many times did Timely do that? Now list the times DC pulled off this wonderful artistic feat. Have fun using your friends fingers and toes as you count.

And how many times during the GA did DC annuals contain reprint material? They went to the trouble of new material in their giants. sumo.gif

In any event, I'm not sure how many times DC re-used the same image during the GA. I wouldn't think it all that often but I'm open to reading what anyone can come up with. I

And how many times during the GA did DC annuals contain reprint material? They went to the trouble of new material in their giants. sumo.gif

In any event, I'm not sure how many times DC re-used the same image during the GA. I wouldn't think it all that often but I'm open to reading what anyone can come up with. I

In the spirit of friendly debate I guess what I was getting at was that I can't think of an instance where Timely reused an image from a cover, cut and paste style, to make another cover. The Marvel Annual and the Cap Annual were complete reprints of Marvel 33 and Cap 18 with the covers.

DC reused images to make other covers on a number of occasions. The two Batman instances quoted above come to mind, along with All Star #2. I am sure there were others but I can't think of them at the moment. I do realize that DC did much more in the way of reprints than Timely/Marvel did pre-1960. But these are not the types of covers I was refering to.

In the spirit of friendly debate I guess what I was getting at was that I can't think of an instance where Timely reused an image from a cover, cut and paste style, to make another cover. The Marvel Annual and the Cap Annual were complete reprints of Marvel 33 and Cap 18 with the covers.

DC reused images to make other covers on a number of occasions. The two Batman instances quoted above come to mind, along with All Star #2. I am sure there were others but I can't think of them at the moment. I do realize that DC did much more in the way of reprints than Timely/Marvel did pre-1960. But these are not the types of covers I was refering to.

I'm all for friendly debate.

I don't think there are any Timely cut and paste jobs, either.

And I'll admit to DC re-cycling cover themes or re-drawing similar image -- though the examples that come to mind are from the 50s.

Better? angel.gif

batman9.jpg

superman18.jpg

Thanks Richard!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifcloud9.gif

batman9.jpg

Can't we just love them all? Why must it be Timely vs. DC all the time? Big deal, DC had a cool Batman image and used it a couple of times. Big whup. I love Timely, DC, MLJ, Fiction House, Fox, Ace, Dell, Nedor,etc

Did they all make some crappy comics and covers? You bet! Did they all make some great ones? Sure!!

That is what makes the hobby fun, finding and collecting the great ones, and even the not so great ones.

Batman is my favorite hero, but that doesn't mean I think Cap sucks. Heck I have a Cap 1 in the box next to the Bat 1, and they get along just fine. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif

Can't we just love them all? Why must it be Timely vs. DC all the time?

Are you trying to spoil our fun? poke2.gif

Ciorac, the Gandhi of Golden Age. The Funny Book Mother Teresa.

The Switzerland of the Collecting world!

I feel the love brother. And I will, from this day forward, love all comics equally and as if they were my own.

BTW, I think my own Detective 27 needs to pay me a visit.

Edited by MrBedrock

I feel the love brother. And I will, from this day forward, love all comics equally and as if they were my own.

no, he's the Rodney King ["can't we all just get along?"] of the hobby. and mother teresa was way better looking than pons.

and isn't that primitive little figure of superman on supe 1 reused somewhere else? didn't mattie write an article about it somewhere?

no, he's the Rodney King ["can't we all just get along?"] of the hobby. and mother teresa was way better looking than pons.

and isn't that primitive little figure of superman on supe 1 reused somewhere else? didn't mattie write an article about it somewhere?

oh, I don't know, pons I think has mother beat in the looks dept poke2.gif

The only two Timely's that come close is Sub-Mariner Comics #15 & #16, very similar!

West

Action 10 splash.

The only two Timely's that come close is Sub-Mariner Comics #15 & #16, very similar!

West

Good call West.

Now if we are talking "similar" covers. Hoo-boy! That is a can of worms filled with every Marvel Mystery cover! Torch and Toro swooping down on the Japs from the left, Torch and Toro swooping down the the Japs from the right, from the center....

Then the variants, Torch and Toro swooping down on the Krauts from the left, from the right, then the center.

Then of course the "grail" covers with a semi-nude Toro in bondage being saved by his flaming mad lover!!

Lots of diversity in the Timely pantheon, you got me there. 27_laughing.gif

I'm glad you are embracing the truth Richard. It will be an inspiration to us all!

Visit? confused-smiley-013.gif