• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

If Steve doesn't mind me hijacking his thread for a moment. The comparison of these two books this week in the ComicLink Auction has left me shaking my head. I can only imagine being set up at a convention just ten years ago and a guy bringing this first comic to me and offering a crisp $100 bill if I would trade it for the second. The times they are a'changin...

So... Green Lantern #76 in 9.4 for $9,030

RADDBCD12007824_16418.jpg

OR... Green Lantern #1 in 6.5 for $9,100?

RADA81F22007813_104614.jpg

Hmmm, interesting.. From an investment standpoint, I may go for the GL #76 as I see no price drop in this book.. But if it was something I'd keep for my collection, I'd take GL #1 as there are plenty of 76's out there and I'm a GA guy

great comparison. I think the 76 now sells for too much. But the #1 doesnt really scream "great value" either. Its not a particularly scarce book, even in high grade. AND its not GLs first appearance. Just the first issue of a series that isnt widely collected anymore. So, to me, Id take the GL76 for $5000 or 6000, or pass on both.

And if you had to sell one of them quickly, the 76 wins hands down.

Edited by aman619

If Steve doesn't mind me hijacking his thread for a moment. The comparison of these two books this week in the ComicLink Auction has left me shaking my head. I can only imagine being set up at a convention just ten years ago and a guy bringing this first comic to me and offering a crisp $100 bill if I would trade it for the second. The times they are a'changin...

So... Green Lantern #76 in 9.4 for $9,030

RADDBCD12007824_16418.jpg

OR... Green Lantern #1 in 6.5 for $9,100?

RADA81F22007813_104614.jpg

1st of all Sean I am happy to see someone other than me contributing to this thread.....so please feel free to keep 'em comin'!

As for this match up, as much as I loathe the thought of buying comics printed after 1969, with this much $$ at stake, I would go with the hot book that had the upside ---- GL76. GL1 is flat / not exciting / not going anywhere from what I can tell, and the GL76 in 9.4 seems to have "the magic" that could / should keep it escalating in desirability and value. With that dark green cover with full bleed to the edge, I just can't imagine a whole bunch of 9.4's being handed out by CGC and flooding the market to the point that the book becomes devalued.

Tec 27 which eventually launched Bat 1 --- both books have great appeal / demand.

AA16 which eventually launched GL1 --- not even close...AA16 is such a superior, high demand book compared to GL1, they are not even on the same planet

Steve

Sometimes you have to buy what you like and forget about the market. It is a hobby after all.

I did...it was called Oldbuck, and look what happened :sick:

I'm not familiar with that....why don't you start a seperate thread to talk about it.

Sometimes you have to buy what you like and forget about the market. It is a hobby after all.

I did...it was called Oldbuck, and look what happened :sick:

I'm not familiar with that....why don't you start a seperate thread to talk about it.

please no.. :cry:

absolutely crazy to me (since I am GA only collector) that a bronze age book, can "compete" price wize with the GL 1in offered grade...I was 2nd underbidder on the clink #1...even at $9K, it is likely a great price moving forward, but $9K for a GL 76 in any condition? blows my mind (again, I don't collect anything over vf/nm, just doesn't make financial sense to me)

rick

I think the GL 76 is over rated. I would much rather have the GL 1. I think it is a sleeper book and will come into it's own one day. Maybe maybe not, but that's what I like.

Sleeper Golden Age Books... hm

What a cool idea, someone should write a column about those or something.

;)

For me, I've actually always thought GL #1 was a bit overvalued in the guide - why should it guide for 2x All Flash #1 (which is earlier and basically the same), or for more than All Star #8 (which is much more important)? But my brain still has a hard time accepting that a nice unrestored Golden Age key isn't worth a stack of Bronze Keys combined with $100 bills. The #76 may be a better investment, but I still love GA books and I'll take the #1.

I think the GL 76 is over rated. I would much rather have the GL 1. I think it is a sleeper book and will come into it's own one day. Maybe maybe not, but that's what I like.

Sleeper Golden Age Books... hm

What a cool idea, someone should write a column about those or something.

;)

For me, I've actually always thought GL #1 was a bit overvalued in the guide - why should it guide for 2x All Flash #1 (which is earlier and basically the same), or for more than All Star #8 (which is much more important)?

Regarding GL 1 vs. All-Flash 1 - Flash had the fortune/mis-fortune of having his first appearance in an anthology book named.....Flash Comics #1. GL had the good fortune of first appearing in All-American Comics #16. This paved the way for Green Lantern #1. Flash #1 was already taken by the anthology, so poor Flash had to accept the much less appealing title of All-Flash #1. It shouldn't really make a difference, but aesthetically it does.

Imagine All-Captain America #1 or All-Batman #1. Just doesn't have the same ring as Captain America #1 or Batman #1.

Regarding All-Star #8 - this one is also a matter of aesthetics. WW doesn't make the cover. Plain and simple.

Edited by ciorac

well, the Bronze books we oldtimers still cant get into our heads as worth real money are just about 40 years old now. And they have a huge fanbase of collectors active today who love them as their own. AND, MANTY OF THE EARLY ONES ARE PROVING TO BE A LOT TOUGHER (NOT RARE OR SCARCE, BUT NOT SO PLENTIFUL) AS WE ALL BELieved (sorry caps lock).

add it all up and we see the prices being paid today.

Many GA books by comparison have languished in value, especially in grades like this. The HG copies are sought for top dollar and these lesser copies still arent cheap, but you dont get a beautiful book for your money, like a 9.4 hot BA key.

Its about times they are a changin....

Regarding All-Star #8 - this one is also a matter of aesthetics. WW doesn't make the cover. Plain and simple.

And where is Archie on Pep #22? :baiting:

Or Subby on MPFW?

But yes, I agree. If WW was on the cover (and if Aquaman/Green Arrow were on the cover of MF #73) these books would be much bigger.

It should have been WW inside the crystal ball they are all looking at.

There is a sort of All Batman and All Superman, its called World's Finest and it is a second class citizen to Batman and Superman. Look at the number of times World's Best is for sell and goes on the low end. Don't get me wrong, I love World's Finest, but I don't collect the title anymore ...