• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Why didnt you go for john Mclaughlins copy Rich?..That was a real[All story beauty] Former owner of the book sale and huge pulp collector for those who dont know.I purchased his copies of[ The Reign of the superman] and his copy of motion picture funnies weekly # 1.A very very ecsentric character to say the least.

I tried! I bid what I thought at the time was a strong amount...$40,000. It went for about $60,000. Who'd a thunk? (shrug)

Damn (worship)

thanks goodness I have no desire to collect pulps ...whew

Why didnt you go for john Mclaughlins copy Rich?..That was a real[All story beauty] Former owner of the book sale and huge pulp collector for those who dont know.I purchased his copies of[ The Reign of the superman] and his copy of motion picture funnies weekly # 1.A very very ecsentric character to say the least.

I tried! I bid what I thought at the time was a strong amount...$40,000. It went for about $60,000. Who'd a thunk? (shrug)

Damn (worship)

Wasn't that one restored? Amateur...

Damn (worship)

come now that's cheap compared to comics. People throw that kind of money around on Church semi-keys.

Damn (worship)

Not that I recall. It was a beautiful thing to behold. And McLaughlin had a cool custom presentation box made for it.

Damn (worship)

Not that I recall. It was a beautiful thing to behold. And McLaughlin had a cool custom presentation box made for it.

Is this the one you are referring too?

All-Story Oct 1912 (Munsey, 1912) Condition: Apparent FN.

Damn (worship)

Is this the one you are referring too?

All-Story Oct 1912 (Munsey, 1912) Condition: Apparent FN.

That is the one. As I said, I didn't recall restoration.

All-Story Oct 1912 (Munsey, 1912) Condition: Apparent FN. This is the first appearance of Tarzan in any medium! The importance of this pulp cannot be overstated, it is currently the single most valuable pulp magazine, and is considered rare with probably fewer than 20 existing copies. This copy must rank among the best in appearance, for it has a clean and fresh look, with a full, unblemished spine, good color, and good paper quality. Unrestored except for a tiny (and unnecessary) tear seal at the edge of the back cover. The front cover is virtually flawless. The "Tarzan of the Apes" tale in this pulp is Edgar Rice Burroughs' second published story, and the first under his own name. This publication preceded the McClurg book edition by almost two years and varies textually in a number of respects. This classic cover by Clinton Pettee, of Tarzan wrestling with a lion in the jungle, is the first published image of Tarzan. This copy comes in a custom-made cloth-covered box that slides into an absolutely lovely leather slipcase with gold-tooled spine, presentation befitting a truly exceptional item that would be the highlight of almost any collection. Bookery's Guide to Pulps GD value = $10,000; VG value = $20,000; FN value = $40,000.From the John McLaughlin Collection. Estimate: $25,000

Damn (worship)

From what I understand many of the nicest pulps have beeb reglued at the spine.Pulps are considered more like a book than a comic.So its no big deal to a pulp collector.At least thats what ive been told.

Damn (worship)

From what I understand many of the nicest pulps have beeb reglued at the spine.Pulps are considered more like a book than a comic.So its no big deal to a pulp collector.At least thats what ive been told.

Great thanks for the info.

this oughtta split some votes....

Ill say--- against what I expect to be loud denunciation, --- FF1.

While I dont necessarily agree with the 250 price it has in this comparison, I think FF1 has more legs and liquidity than the worlds best, super-sweet Church Flash #1. To me it boils down to First rate vs second rate characters.... plus as time marches on, the extra 20 years a GA key has behind it (as older and rarer) means less and less compared to current comics business and character awareness.

Easily the Flash for the following reasons:

- its a Church copy.

- 20+ years older.

- much hard to find in high grade, really a one of a kind book.

- the FF#1 isn't even the highest graded copy.

Edited by Silver Surfer

Flash for me too.

I think there will be a reassesment of the price of the Flash after the AA#16 Church price debate.

Most people 6 months ago would have said the Flash was overpriced. Now it's a good price.

George

Since I grew up reading Fantastic Four and have more of a connection with it, I'd rather have the Fantastic Four #1. However, if someone were kind enough to give me the Flash #1, I wouldn't kick it to the curb!