• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Which one would you choose, and why ????

Marvel Mystery Comics #8 (1940) CGC Universal 3.5

or

Mystic Comics #1 (1940) CGC Universal 5.0

hm

They are both lame covers, so if I had to choose I guess I would go with the higher grade.

well, i'm bleeding from the eyes, as it took alot of gerber work, but i did finally get to the bottom of it: if mystic 1's cover is lame, that means there are 17 non-lame d.c. covers, globally. silver age included.

And fourteen of those are only equally as good as the Mystic.

Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting Billy. My eyes couldn't have taken it!

Action #2 over Tec #225 - I don't think I could look at myself in the morning after paying $14K for the 1st Martian Manhunter

Action #1 over AF #15 - Spidey is my favorite superhero, but this is Action #1!

Mystic #1 because most people are saying that and I am too lazy to look them up

Figured I would save Steve the trouble of doing this later.

Both of these have been off the market for years, so it's hard to say what the market value is, but if you could pick one, blah, blah, blah

image_6_1_full.jpg

image_485_1_full.jpg

No hesitation the AF#15, its worth way more than that Action #1 and actually looks like it could be resubmitted and get a 9.8 (not that would be mind blowing). I doubt there are many collectors who wouldn't trade that Action #1 straight across, just way too much money on the table. Flip it and then go buy another Action #1 for a record price and still have lots of money in your pocket.

or

hm

They are both lame covers, so if I had to choose I guess I would go with the higher grade.

well, i'm bleeding from the eyes, as it took alot of gerber work, but i did finally get to the bottom of it: if mystic 1's cover is lame, that means there are 17 non-lame d.c. covers, globally. silver age included.

Then that would mean there are 276 DC covers that are not as lame as the Marvel 8.

I'll go with that.

The Mystic 1 cover is considerably less lame than that horrible Marvel 8 though. That's why I chose it. (thumbs u

or

hm

Then that would mean there are 276 DC covers that are not as lame as the Marvel 8.

I'll go with that.

The Mystic 1 cover is considerably less lame than that horrible Marvel 8 though. That's why I chose it. (thumbs u

A very telling statement Ciorac. hm

The cover of Marvel 8 is unique in the fact that only the very intelligent appreciate its awesomeness...

mm8.jpg

If you don't like that...

or

hm

I'll go with that.

The cover of Marvel 8 is unique in the fact that only the very intelligent appreciate its awesomeness...

mm8.jpg

I absolutely agree. I think the MMC8 is a great cover and even better story inside of the part 1 meeting/brawl between two great characters.

MMC#8 is a nice cover but it always disappoints me that the covers were so pro Angel in the early issues (MMC#2 is a out right classic mind you) especially since the Torch/Sub-Mariner battle was the main showcase of the issue. They more than make up for this by knocking it out of the park with the cover of issue #9. :cloud9: I can smell the pulp now. :cloud9:

Action #1 for me too for reasons i've already said at another post

Action 1 for me for obvious reasons, for anyone who knows anything about me.

:)

That you might take a Bats #1 over an Action #1 and would fly to New York in a Robin suit to pick it up in person? Anyone who knows Bill much better than me, is this fairly accurate statement? :baiting::grin:

or

hm

I'll go with that.

mm8.jpg

If that's true, then why do you like it? (shrug)

or

hm

I'll go with that.

mm8.jpg

Ouch! Below the belt and the referee takes a point away. :kidaround:

MMC#8 is a nice cover but it always disappoints me that the covers were so pro Angel in the early issues (MMC#2 is a out right classic mind you) especially since the Torch/Sub-Mariner battle was the main showcase of the issue. They more than make up for this by knocking it out of the park with the cover of issue #9. :cloud9: I can smell the pulp now. :cloud9:

Hey I actually think the cover to Marvel 2 is one of the best Timely covers of all time! And it IS an Angel cover!

or

hm

I'll go with that.

mm8.jpg

I'm OK with the 8, but have to admit Bill, that # 12 is a cool Angel cover.

Hey I actually think the cover to Marvel 2 is one of the best Timely covers of all time! And it IS an Angel cover!

Correct myself... the # 2 is not only an outright classic but probably on the top 5 Timely covers. Also up there for me at least Daring Mystery 4 Mystic 4 Cap 3 Marvel 9 along with the 2. These are my personal favorite best Timely covers of all time!

or

hm

I'll go with that.

mm8.jpg

Just doesn't float my boat. Great Marvel Comics/MM covers?

#1 - Great!

#2 - ok

#3 - Lame

#4 - Great!

#5 - Great!

#6 - ok

#7 - Great!

#8 - Lame

#9 - Great!

#10 - Good

Not a bad score for the first ten at all. 5 - Greats!, 1 - Good, 2 - Ok, 2 - Lame

Batman:

1 - Great!

2 - Lame

3 - Great!

4 - Lame

5 - Great!

6 - ok

7 - ok

8 - Good

9 - Great!

10 - Good

Not quite as impressive as the Marvel/MM run, but not bad: 4 - Greats!, 2 - Good, 2 - ok, 2 - Lame

First 10 Superman Action:

1 - Great!

7 - Great!

10 - Good

13 - Great!

15 - Good

17 - Good

19 - Great!

20 - Good

21 - Great!

22 - Good

Not a lame one in the bunch.

So you see, there is good, ok, lame, etc in all publishers. Even (gasp), yes, in the beloved Timely pantheon of heroes

or

hm

I'll go with that.

mm8.jpg

Just doesn't float my boat. Great Marvel Comics/MM covers?

#1 - Great!

#2 - ok

#3 - Lame

#4 - Great!

#5 - Great!

#6 - ok

#7 - Great!

#8 - Lame

#9 - Great!

#10 - Good

Not a bad score for the first ten at all. 5 - Greats!, 1 - Good, 2 - Ok, 2 - Lame

Batman:

1 - Great!

2 - Lame

3 - Great!

4 - Lame

5 - Great!

6 - ok

7 - ok

8 - Good

9 - Great!

10 - Good

Not quite as impressive as the Marvel/MM run, but not bad: 4 - Greats!, 2 - Good, 2 - ok, 2 - Lame

First 10 Superman Action:

1 - Great!

7 - Great!

10 - Good

13 - Great!

15 - Good

17 - Good

19 - Great!

20 - Good

21 - Great!

22 - Good

Not a lame one in the bunch.

So you see, there is good, ok, lame, etc in all publishers. Even (gasp), yes, in the beloved Timely pantheon of heroes

I agree with marvel 3 being lame. You did not rank the tec covers 27 to 37. But I can imagine most will receive a great, right? The superman actions I agree are great. I don't like all the early Bat covers either.