• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I agree with marvel 3 being lame.

Even though I am obviously a Timely sycophant, you guys are nuts.

There are many adjectives to describe this cover. Lame ain't one of them.

mm3.jpg

Set aside the fact that it is an Angel cover for a moment...

You have a hot chick with her clothes getting torn off; a hairy, legless dwarf with a hatchet; skulls; and weird, cool machinery. What the heck is there not to like?

This cover SCREAMS golden age!

It definitely ain't lame!

For comparison here are all of the early Marvel Mystery Angel covers.

To my taste there really isn't a bad cover in the bunch.

(And "ok" is alright by me (thumbs u )

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm8.jpg

mm12.jpg

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm8.jpg

mm12.jpg

You just knocked me of my seat..... :luhv: that 2.... oh man that issue I will own one day! Without a doubt 2 is up there as one of the greatest Timely (and overall) cover. That 12 is great too. Is 12 only Kirby? Or is it Simon and Kirby?

I agree with marvel 3 being lame.

Even though I am obviously a Timely sycophant, you guys are nuts.

There are many adjectives to describe this cover. Lame ain't one of them.

mm3.jpg

Set aside the fact that it is an Angel cover for a moment...

You have a hot chick with her clothes getting torn off; a hairy, legless dwarf with a hatchet; skulls; and weird, cool machinery. What the heck is there not to like?

This cover SCREAMS golden age!

It definitely ain't lame!

That is a warped cover and one I really like. I also like the various Angel covers - it is the Angel stories that stink up the joint.

So when can CGC adopt the "lame" "great" scale for cover notations?

Figured I would save Steve the trouble of doing this later.

Both of these have been off the market for years, so it's hard to say what the market value is, but if you could pick one, blah, blah, blah

Action #1 all day long. If the Amazing Fantasy had white pages instead of off-white, I might take that instead.

mm2.jpg

mm3.jpg

mm6.jpg

mm8.jpg

mm12.jpg

got any high grade (shrug)

But Richard in your opinion all Timely covers are great. I've never once heard you say one wasn't. So clearly your opinion is based purely on your love of the Timely group of books. There is no objectivity there at all.

I can point out tons of crappy covers from DC, Fox (plenty!), MLJ, Fawcett, Centaur, Timely, EC, etc. Most Timely-heads can only find crappy covers in all publishers but Timely

To honestly think that a publisher, who put out as many books as these publishers did, would hit the home run you think they hit for every single solitary book is just not a solid piece of turf to defend, from an objective standpoint

But certainly, if your subjective opinion is that a book like Marvel 3, with the pasted on looking head on the preposterous legless dwarf, and an expressionless poorly drawn hero as the centerpiece of a drab cover is a great example of Timely cover composition, then more power to you my brother. I'm happy you can find a gem in it that I can't. It's what makes the hobby fun, interesting and diverse.

(thumbs u

Yep, Pre-Robin tecs are all great.
:cry:

Well they are. And there is much love from this geek for 38 as well. :gossip:

no, I agree, it is just that all mine are gone, gone, gone... i've lost, that lovin feelin....woa that lovin feelin....

My favorite of all the MMC Angel covers is definitely the #8. I think back when these books were first on the news stands and the kids running up to check out the newest issue. I can only imagine that kids at the time absolutely loved that two-ton monster and that freaky four-armed goon. I also like the aesthetics of the all yellow cover. The fact that it also has decent sized shots of Torch and Subby is definitely a plus also.

mm2.jpg

This cover and this copy is just fantastic. Every year that passes this issue jumps a few notches higher on my want list. Issue #3 barely stirs anything in me, maybe the odd bowel movement, and #6 is better but they can't hold a candle to issues #4, #5 and #9.