• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calvin and Hobbes orig art on Ebay?!

40 posts in this topic

I don't get it...sounds like you are throwing a tantrum 'cause they won't dance for you. And if you sell the books or whatnot, what imact does that have on either one of them? You get rid of something you supposedly love only because the creator didn't jump high enough for you...and this hurts them how?

I don't get it...sounds like you are throwing a tantrum 'cause they won't dance for you. And if you sell the books or whatnot, what imact does that have on either one of them? You get rid of something you supposedly love only because the creator didn't jump high enough for you...and this hurts them how?

The answer is, it doesn't in the least. I guess the logic is, you won't be a fan of it anymore or support it. The logic is baffling, but of course unsurprising to me.

I honestly don't think it'd be hard to get Watterson's autograph if you wanted to go to his residence and hang out in the area coffee shops or grocery stores and knew what he looked like. He apparently is living a pretty normal life right now -- just not in the public eye.

It is the real deal and it is VERY rare. Originally sold by a California art store a few years back. There are a handful of original watercolors like this on the market and about a dozen dailys or Sundays. However if you look at LtdRarities on ebay, you would think that Watterson was pumping out sketches on a daily basis. I'm shaking the change loose from the couch as I type.

I tried to call up LtdRarities and found that he is no longer a registered user on eBay. Or were you talking about another user?

That is the one. Haven't seen him post his crud in a while. It was amazing at the wide variety of original art he possessed: Calvin and Hobbes, Dr Seuss, Charles Adams, Gary Larson. All starting at 9.99 with no reserve and ALL private auctions.

I don't get it either. Him and Ditko just seem like a pair of grumpy guys. They put out great and revolutionary works, but refuse to have the fans show their appreciation and amusement by having some merchandise or being fan friendly.

I think a difference here is that DItko and Watterson are retired. You rarely see this attitude among active professionals. I am reminded of a show I was at where someone asked Walt Simonson for an autograph and his responses was along the lines of "Sure. After all you're helping to pay my mortgage."

As an addendum, Heritage just threw up the image for their Calvin and Hobbes original for their next Signature sale. Image doesn't look right to me. Sorry I can't provide a link, typing on the road.

What doesn't look right about it? Not questioning your assesment, just curious as to what I should be looking for...

That is the one. Haven't seen him post his crud in a while. It was amazing at the wide variety of original art he possessed: Calvin and Hobbes, Dr Seuss, Charles Adams, Gary Larson. All starting at 9.99 with no reserve and ALL private auctions.

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, isn't his work just as difficult to come by? Not only a astronomically high price tag, but also very few in the market...

Speaking of Dr. Seuss, isn't his work just as difficult to come by? Not only a astronomically high price tag, but also very few in the market...

http://www.everypicture.com/artists/17/1/dr.-seuss.html

(Just found this site yesterday - never even spoken with them - can't speak to their legitimacy)

As to the original post, I think the $25K pricetag is one of those fishing/showing off prices. While C&H strips are officially in the rare strata, I can't believe that a sketch for an obscure magazine would be worth anywhere near that much. I know I'd pay a couple hundred for a daily today, but if there were suddenly hundreds or thousands of them on the market (and surely they'd all be bought up by dealers for immediate resale, or at least driven up beyond reason on release) that may be too high. But I'd be tempted to pay that much for a nice pre-hiatus Doonesbury, too, so what do I know.

It's just that C&H fans are unusually devoted and affectionate for the work, so the attraction is more personal/emotional than financial/speculative. Everyone who's a devoted C&H fan feels that they alone have a deeper understanding and connection to the work than others do. So fans would potentially drop that kind of $$ for this just *because* it's unique, which in a C&F fan's mind solidifes their self-image as uniquely "in" on Watterson's product in a way no other person can be.

As an addendum, Heritage just threw up the image for their Calvin and Hobbes original for their next Signature sale. Image doesn't look right to me. Sorry I can't provide a link, typing on the road.

Heritage link

http://comics.heritageauctions.com/commo...;hdnSearch=true

"This lot has been withdrawn from this auction. Bids are no longer accepted and previous bids are cancelled."

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I believe that most of the Seuss art is still in San Diego on loan to UCSD

Mrs. Geisel is a shrewd marketer and makes the most out of

Dr. Seuss' product

His autograph is an easy forgery.

That was a real poor C&H forgery