• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a small collection unearthed

39 posts in this topic

just about 10 minutes ago i got a call from my local PO. seems that an old gentleman had come in and given approx 60 books to the PO staff. he was saving them for his grandson who passed away....... frown.gif (he'd been giving the postal clerks son a bunch of Met's memorabilia over the past few weeks, as well).

they have done a cursory check and determined that they are primarily from the 60's/70's.

the purpose of the call was to have me check 'em out for them.......

not expecting much but i'll let you guys know what i find later today and if there's anything of interest, will post some scans.................... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

just about 10 minutes ago i got a call from my local PO. seems that an old gentleman had come in and given approx 60 books to the PO staff. he was saving them for his grandson who passed away....... frown.gif (he'd been giving the postal clerks son a bunch of Met's memorabilia over the past few weeks, as well).

they have done a cursory check and determined that they are primarily from the 60's/70's.

not expecting much but i'll let you guys know what i find later today and if there's anything of interest, will post some scans.................... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Good Luck! Can't wait to see what you find. grin.gif

Don't go postal on them....

boo.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I find it sad, that this poor old guy - who just lost his gradnson - has no one else to give his prized belongings to than postal clerks?

That's a sob story right there.

And that's assuming the story's legit, and not another mail package that mysteriously "broke open" in transit. juggle.gif

I find it sad, that this poor old guy - who just lost his gradnson - has no one else to give his prized belongings to than postal clerks?

That's a sob story right there.

And that's assuming the story's legit, and not another mail package that mysteriously "broke open" in transit. juggle.gif

i'm guessing it's legit as i've known these folks for 6 years now........

i'd tend to agree with your assessment except that i suspect he's indirectly giving them to the children of the two postal workers.........

nevertheless, a sad story........

well, it's a story of good news/bad news.

first, there are at least twicw as many books as the gals estimate of 60.

second, these are mostly BA from my cursory glance

almost all Marvel and DC with a couple of decent books; i spied very fine copies of nick fury #'s 2 & 3 and an old GA copy of Boy comics.

i'm going to go through them now and will post a few scans for grins...........

the other thing that the old gentleman left with these folks is the real prize of the collection; at least a fine copy (some slight foxing on the all white cover) of the ORIGINAL 1962 METS YEARBOOK. what a hoot to glance through that. pics of everybody including Gil Hodges, Elia Chacon and Gene Woodling..... 893whatthe.gif

Woodling started out in 1940 ferchrissakes and was a MET in 1962...... insane.gif

he hit .313 in the Yanks 5 consecutive World Series championships in 1949 - 1953........... 893applaud-thumb.gif

there was also a 1966 and 1975 Mets yearbook.

oh well, onto the comics.....................

it turns out that most of the books are midgrade BA Marvel with about 20 or so DC's thrown in. not a lot to write home about, but here are a few anyway.............

Nick Fury and his agents of Shield #2

postal_collection_001.jpg