• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Fun 14-17 all in one day!

41 posts in this topic

Bigloo has posted on ebay copies of the entire DC run of the Dr. Occult story that Jerry Siegel once described as "a dry run for Superman."

The story actually begins in Comics Magazine #1, but Dr. Occult doesn't get powers and a cape until More Fun 14. Then he shows more powers as the series goes on.

If you see these stories it's clear they were trying to slip Superman into print in some way or another. They had failed for years and would finally succeed in two more years, at DC.

Dr. Occult looks exactly like Superman. And that is not an exaggeration, not me trying to stretch a resemblance to mae a conclusion. The face is EXACTLY like Superman. And with the cape and all, he has superman like powers as well. In fact if you change the coloring of his limbs and torso, you;'d have an image virtually in decipherable from the supes image that was published in 1938.

Now lots of you already know this, but unless you've tried to assemble this set, as I once tried, you know it is well nigh unassemblable. All of them are rare and I have not seen any of them for sale more than a handful of times, at best, in 20 years. I have never seen all of 14-17 available in one place at one time.

They were one fine day in my old comic store in New Orleans....the full set (14 -51) came along as a bonus with the Action 1 - 18 that walked in the store back in 1996. Quite the celebration we had!

Sigh!!! I remember well when you had those Actions! I was about to literally hop a flight to N'Orleans and buy those babies....but Dan beat me to it. Damn him!

tonofbricks.gif

MF #14 CGC 3.0 on C-Link as we speak. What did the copy on EBay end up at?

$2,325 in VG if I recall correctly.

Man, several MF 14s have been popping up all of a sudden...

STEVE

Its amazing how a few books can start a landslide.

Actually it was 2325 in Vg restored (though slight). Hard to know what an unrestored would go for. The buyer of that book may be smart to have the glue removed and see its value go up.

that is certainly a tempting offering. I would be more interested if I had not just bought 3 books from him in the last few listings he did.

Does anyone know if he is selling off his own books or are these consignemnt books?

Is he selling off his own main collection or are these just extras?

Either he is having trouble selling the Showcase 22 or this is a third copy each of which had restoration

Does anyone know if he is selling off his own books or are these consignemnt books?

jmg, my understanding is that the books are from a variety of sources (i.e., multiple collections), which may explain duplicate copies.

(wow, yet another hobbyist in Los Angeles - via the board, I've learned of more GA collectors in my area during the past two months than I've met around here in the past two decades).

STEVE

(wow, yet another hobbyist in Los Angeles - via the board, I've learned of more GA collectors in my area during the past two months than I've met around here in the past two decades).

STEVE

That's one of the best things about the boards. Some of my closest friends these days are guys I met here. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're football fanatics as well as comic collectors. headbang.gif

STEVE

That's one of the best things about the boards. Some of my closest friends these days are guys I met here. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're football fanatics as well as comic collectors. headbang.gif

Oddly enough many comic fans are football fanatics. At work, I have to look long and hard to find someone to talk to about the weekends games!

(Last three posters from the LA area. Holiday board dinner?)

Yes, count me in...putting faces behind the names will increase my enjoyment of the board.

And to stay on topic, I did not pick up the MF 17 after all... so contact the seller if you're interested.

STEVE

I would certainly be happy to get together with a bunch of other LA Boarders so I can put a face with a type style.

I know that several got together when Steve B was here a year or so ago.

I think that a dinner during the week would probably work best for me. My office is in Encino so I can get to most places in LA , but not OC, in a reasonable amount of time.

Sacentaur, you passed up the MF 17 because of possible glue on spine? Did it have alot of glue or just a little? Forgive me, but several years ago Pat Kochanek went public about returning the Larson Amazing Mystery Funnies 18 because of its having glue on the spine.He was a real finicky collector.That book is the one you posted on the Centaur thread. Maybe the glue has been removed since then. Anyway, seems like a contradiction, OR, the Amazing Mystery Funnies 18 Larson has super eye appeal and you just accepted the glue being there?

A valid inquiry steel (no need for forgiveness), one that I can easily address...

Being the Larson copy, a Centaur, and sporting a Bill Everett cover, that made the AMF 18 an irresistable item in my book. Also, it indeed does have tremendous eye appeal. And yes, the glue was removed (but I can certainly accept the book either way - it's quite lovely).

Back to the MF 17, I never saw it - the seller alerted me and gave me the option of taking it or passing, which I very much appreciate. I passed and have no heartburn over the matter whatsoever.

Pat Kochanek had some incredible books...I wonder what he is up to now?

STEVE

Pat Kochanek had some incredible books...I wonder what he is up to now?

Pat Kochanek has some incredible original art.