• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We're having our house fumigated. Should I move my comics out?

18 posts in this topic

Some pedigree books have a distinct odor to them. Could be the same kind of thing here..... insane.gif

Probably find a thirty year old collection and name it "The DDT Collection"!

Jim

I don't even have boxes anymore. They're all on book shelves. What does one do with 10,000 comics while the house is getting fumigated?

This is about the scariest statement I've seen.

I tried to move a bookshelf the other day, and evidently I dislodged one

of the shelf supports and EVERY shelf came crashing down onto each other

and then into the floor. Luckily it was just my normal books like novels,

reference, school yearbooks, etc. I don't want to think what would have

happened if those had been comics.

893Funny-thumb.gif

Good one, bug...

I'm imagining those shelves and assuming they're all warped from the weight of the comics... I had mine stored that way, when I was 12 and had only 3,000 books.

I would say that this fumigation is your wake-up call; spend the $450 to get 100 or so short boxes and pack those books up properly! Even then I'd move them during the fumigation if possible.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I AM going to move them out when we get the house tented. It also gives me the opportunity to paint that room before I bring the comics back in. So instead of the "DDT Collection", we can call it "The New Paint Smell Collection".

No problem leaving your books, this type of thing won't adversely affect them.

If whatever you are fumigating for goes into the box's hand hole to die, then the new bugs you'll eventually have will eat them and die too. smile.gif

Hey, I feel for you. Just bought a house and, thanks to the mis-identification of a beetle by an entomologist who thought it consumed wood (I've since had 3 other entomologists tell me it was a harmless species) I've pissed away thousands in extra rent and other expenses. In my adventures into finding a solution, I discovered that in CA there are a number of companies that use heat instead of chemical fumigants. I'd check them out--very effective, no toxicity. Either way, though, move the books. You have no idea what may happen. And if your problem is termites, go through your books page-by-page. Termites will infest comics.