• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charleston Chew?

19 posts in this topic

I was just looking through one of my old books and saw an old advert i remember back in the day (around 1992). It said to send in a Charleston Chew wrapper and 50 cents to get a "limited edition Marvel comic featuring 4 new action packed adventures".

Does anyone remember that promotion? The cover features Wolverine and Jubilee on a red background by Sam Keith. Was there 4 different comics or one comic featuring 4 stories? Anyone have them?

Yep, I remeber this one... though I could never down enough Charleston-Chews to earn it <ugh> crazy.gif!

The Spider-Man side doesn't look half-bad! How many pages long was this one - anybody?

Who was that generic villain on the cover w/ Spidey, I don't recall him 893scratchchin-thumb.gif... still looks good though 893applaud-thumb.gif.

Here's a back cover ad for the Charleston Chew promo comics. thumbsup2.gif

1472654-charlstonchew.jpg

That add doesn't make it clear if there is one comic, two or four. Since it's a flip book and Spider-Man is on the back then it's not four. The question is do Ghost Rider and Surfer appear in the book posted above or did those two have their own flipbook?

The comic had 2 stories on each side. A Wolverine and a Ghost Rider story on one side. Flip the book and you had a Spider-Man and Silver Surfer story on the other. Spidey battled Eel in his story.

Now who remembers the Turkish Taffy ads in Charlton Comics? grin.gif

They had an Avengers first issue also if my memory is right.

I'm almost sure that the indicia title is The Avengers Collector's Edition from 1993.

Only appearance of personal favorite villains, Elements of Doom, between Avengers 188 and Thunderbolts 6.

Jack

1499724-AvengersCollEd1.jpg

bumpit.gif Yeah, 4 cheesy "cut out yourself" trading cards - NICE !

I remember finding a couple of these Avengers books as filler-books in some rebarcoded/ polybagged repacks at a $1 Store once. They included some Lightning (remember those guys - "Bloodfire"?) and Valiant Comics too!

Perhaps 5 or 6 books to a pack for $1, was like opening old-school Topps Wax Packs!

Mmmm... crunchy bubblegum! cloud9.gif