• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help with Ga comics.

41 posts in this topic

As for the Planet comics... Why is it priced that way? Is there something significant about it or is it just the age/rarity?

Scantily clad women

Rocket ships

Scantily clad women

Aliens

Scantily clad women

Ray Guns

Scantily clad women

Pre-code blood and guts

Did I mention the women?

seank scores 100% with his answer (well done, sir).

STEVE

As for the Planet comics... Why is it priced that way? Is there something significant about it or is it just the age/rarity?

Scantily clad women

Rocket ships

Scantily clad women

Aliens

Scantily clad women

Ray Guns

Scantily clad women

Pre-code blood and guts

Did I mention the women?

seank scores 100% with his answer (well done, sir).

STEVE

Thank you.

If the Planet is in decent grade I'll trade you the UXM #94 you are looking for...
893whatthe.gif You can't be serious?

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm learning a lot here. I gotta get a scanner as I don't know how to grade and I'd like some further opinions on this stuff.

The Planet imo is in very nice condition. It presents really nice for a book this old. I'd say it's in the best condition of the thirty or so GA books I have. There is almost no wear on the spine at all. The staples aren't rusted or anything and the cover is firmly attached.

It looks like the cover had been creased down the center from top to bottom. I see two major flaws off hand but I don't necessarily know the degree to which they affect the condition of the book.

Flaw 1: It is off cut dramatically. When looking at it directly, you can see the bottom corner of the back half of the book protruding out below the front half and at an angle. When turning it over, you see the opposite with the top half of the front of the book protruding above the back at an agle. Picture a comic opened to the center so that it is spread out. Now picture it with angles slightly off of 90 degrees so that it is no longer really a rectangle. Now with that picture in mind, close the book! That's the best way I can describe that.

Flaw 2: Not sure on this one. I looked for the book online last night and found some pictures/scans of it. Most of them had lush colors and very bright. Mine does as well, but there were several differences.

There is a girl on the cover of my copy wearing a yellow dress. The copies I saw online reflect/illustrate a red dress.

The title on my copy is written in Yellow whereas the online copies were written in red.

My thought is that the color had faded due to being left in the sun however, the colors are are as lush or bright as the ones online, just different. The black in the background of my copy is deep and dark and does not look like it has faded.

Again, I couldn't tell either way as I'm not even a novice in these regards.

I took some digi pics of the book last night but they look real bad. I'll try and post them if anyone wants to see'em.

I'll definitely post it when I get a scanner.

Thanks again folks!

Flaw 2: Not sure on this one. I looked for the book online last night and found some pictures/scans of it. Most of them had lush colors and very bright. Mine does as well, but there were several differences.

There is a girl on the cover of my copy wearing a yellow dress. The copies I saw online reflect/illustrate a red dress.

The title on my copy is written in Yellow whereas the online copies were written in red.

My thought is that the color had faded due to being left in the sun however, the colors are are as lush or bright as the ones online, just different. The black in the background of my copy is deep and dark and does not look like it has faded.

Fiction House books are susceptable to fading. Big problem with them. Take a look at the Fiction House thread and you'll see a huge variance in color density.

Please get a price guide.

Four Color was how Dell ran comics with various TV/movie type character so you'd have Donald Duck one issue and Rin Tin Tin the next. It ran up to over 1400 issues. Most split off into their own series. So Uncle Scrooge No 1 is actually FC 396.

Planets are very susceptible to fading as I understand it and would distract from value. Not being a collector of those I don't know how bad that is discounted.

BTW UXM 94 for the Planet is probably a reasonable trade depending on condition. You have that as your grail. And low grade GA aren't as expensive as you think, though fairly liquid to sell for a title like Planet. Down in the Good range (which is where the majority of GA comics are) very few issues break the $100 mark or even the $50. Take away most Timely's, key books, and low # DC superhero, and a GA "good" can be had for $50 or less.

The touble and fun is finding them for sale at all.

Ed

Huckleberry Hound 1141
Cool. According to Overstreet that issue comes between # 7 and # 8 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a Four Color, using the Four Color numbering. poke2.gif

Duh.....

Yes twinkles I do know that it's Four Color numbering.

I have the # 1 (Four Color 990) as well as #2(fourcolor #1050)

But why they felt the need to make # 1141 a month after the existing series H HOUND # 7

1468599-huck.jpg

and a month before #8 as an existing title was odd to me. This is what I was referring too. I realize it's a special issue judging by the title,

1468612-1141.jpg

but why it didn't fit in the already existing numbering series for Huck was and is unknown to me.

Overstreet felt the need to list it there chronologically which if you'll remember is all I stated.

I suppose I should have kept the discussion about planet baby got back.

1468612-1141.jpg.0ff0a6a50b263d7d24c01876788f7446.jpg

Planets are very susceptible to fading as I understand it and would distract from value. Not being a collector of those I don't know how bad that is discounted.

People often make this mistake. Planets are not especially susceptible to fading, rather there were pretty extreme variances in the ink density at the factory. A lot of Planets rolled off the press with poor cover colors due to cheap and ineffective printing techniques. It's not damage, and not a defect per se, but definitely has an affect on value.

People often make this mistake. Planets are not especially susceptible to fading, rather there were pretty extreme variances in the ink density at the factory. A lot of Planets rolled off the press with poor cover colors due to cheap and ineffective printing techniques. It's not damage, and not a defect per se, but definitely has an affect on value.

A few dealers have attempted to sell certain issues with different colors due to poor ink mixing as "color variants". No one bit to my knowledge.

Huckleberry Hound 1141
Cool. According to Overstreet that issue comes between # 7 and # 8 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a Four Color, using the Four Color numbering. poke2.gif

Duh.....

Yes twinkles I do know that it's Four Color numbering.

I have the # 1 (Four Color 990) as well as #2(fourcolor #1050)

But why they felt the need to make # 1141 a month after the existing series H HOUND # 7

1468599-huck.jpg

and a month before #8 as an existing title was odd to me. This is what I was referring too. I realize it's a special issue judging by the title,

1468612-1141.jpg

but why it didn't fit in the already existing numbering series for Huck was and is unknown to me.

Overstreet felt the need to list it there chronologically which if you'll remember is all I stated.

I suppose I should have kept the discussion about planet baby got back.

Shouldn't have used the poke2.gif, but maybe shy.gif or yay.gif

The Huckleberries where they did special issues were all in the Four Color series. Why, I don't know, but all of the specials are numbered that way. Maybe it should have been Huckleberry 7.5 grin.gif

Well then, I made out here. Honestly, I'm so fascinated that at 31 years old, I can buy books more than twice my age. I wouldn't have been let down if they were worthless.

You need to buy an Overstreet right now.

Marc

Yeah, don't I know it. No one will sell me one and my LCS keeps giving me the store copy story.

Found one in about 2 minutes for you:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002...eet+price+guide

Well then, I made out here. Honestly, I'm so fascinated that at 31 years old, I can buy books more than twice my age. I wouldn't have been let down if they were worthless.

You need to buy an Overstreet right now.

Marc

Yeah, don't I know it. No one will sell me one and my LCS keeps giving me the store copy story.

Found one in about 2 minutes for you:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/002...eet+price+guide

Thanks!

Ok, I copped a scanner today. Here is a scan of Planet Comics 43:

img001-1.jpg

I'll post a back cover in a short. I'm gonna post this in the PGMB section just to get opinions on grading. Figured I'd post it here first as there was some interest. I'll post the back with the front in the PGM section.

I'll also post the Funny Stuff 22 and The Young Love 1.

By the By, I keep forgetting to complement you on the Madcap avatar, When a teenager, daredevil 234(?) was my favorite comic because of his surrealistic rampages. I then discovered Flaming Carrot who could well be Madcap's pappy!
Madcap getting chained to a pole and hacked across the belly with an axe all the while laughing it off... Just classic!

Ya know, Madcap could very well be Deadpools pappy.