• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OVERSTREET REVIEW Review

52 posts in this topic

There's a difference between Simon saying:

"I thought that song was awful."

and:

"I though that song was awful and if I were you I would never even consider singing in public again! Who do you think you are anyway, Clay Aiken? Do you really believe you did a good job on that song, YES or NO d@mnit!?!? If yes, then you really are a clueless insufficiently_thoughtful_person."

What's the difference between Paula saying,

"You did your best."

and:

"I'm sure your heart was in the right place."

and:

"You showed a lot of courage."

and:

"Love the look. Great hair."

and:

ad nauseum... makepoint.gif

Rick

good reports like...Vincent Zurzolo.

I like Vinnie and all, but here's how his reports frequently run:

"Welcome to my Comic Book Market report, now let me tell you about what my wife and I have been doing this summer... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif...don't eat meat... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif...the market has been great! 'til next time!"

Doug's market reports are great, a bit lengthy at times, but great. smile.gif

I stopped buying CBM awhile ago as I didn't feel the price justified the product. What I was referring to was Vincents last two Overstreet guide reports. I thought these were very well thought out and concise.Since CBM seems to cater to a different tier of the market maybe they could simply move the whole market report section over to the new publication. Or simply duplicate it in both. Of course, marketing it to stores starting with issue 3 doesn't seem to make a lot of sense either.

"What I was referring to was Vincents last two Overstreet guide reports. I thought these were very well thought out and concise."

Sometimes concision has a lot to do with good editing smile.gif. Of course, having excellent raw material doesn't hurt.

The term "criticism" is not itself negative; there's positive as well. From the noun Critique. It is just associated more with negative.

And my point about Abdul's criticism is that it's lacking information. Bland. Pointless. Garbage. Just like everyone is saying about HooDeeDoo's comments.

True criticism is supportive information and not just exclamatory statements.

Rick

I'm down with that. Even at her age, she's got it going on!

C'mon Paula, keep the mouth shut and shake those cakes! cloud9.gif

Rick

yeah, but wait until you see her with her face off, then you can come back and tell me if you still want some of that arse? blush.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gifgoodevil.gif

Just like everyone is saying about HooDeeDoo's comments.

I love sweeping generalizations.

True criticism is supportive information and not just exclamatory statements.

Rick

For a supposedly tough group, alot of you guys sure are a sensitive and caring bunch.

Let me explain the problem with giving constructive criticism about the new Overstreet Review. To be able to tell them how to improve it, I need to understand the overall POINT of it. The first issue has some random eBay and Heritage sales and an arbitrary group of titles with new price spreads. That's it. (Oh yeah, and one page of statue prices.) Taking it for what it currently is, the only thing I can conclude is that someone said: "Hey, remember when Bob did his mid-year price update? Whaddaya say we do something like that on a monthly basis and we'll put in some CGC sales." Everybody says: "Great idea!" and then this thing is published with a $6.50 price tag.

Now that people can look at it, the publishers of it say: "Hey, give us your feedback. Tell us what you like, what you don't like and what you'd like to see in the future."

Excuse me, but it's not the job of anybody here to tell Gemstone how to create a new publication WHILE THEY'RE CHARGING MONEY FOR IT. Talk about arrogance!

When CBM came out, it was obvious what the point of the magazine was. Was it perfect? No. However, if you looked at it, you understood what the point of it was. Over time, it grew (as all magazines do) and got better through feedback from readers. I dare anyone to look at the OR and to cogently tell me what the point of it is.

If it looked like an honest fledgling step I would cut it some slack, but like I said before, these are the big boys and they should know better. When they do something great, I'll give them the credit and praise them to the heavens, but when they have the audacity to charge $6.50 for something as dreadful as this, they deserve to have their head handed to them on a platter.

Without parsley.

For a supposedly tough group, alot of you guys sure are a sensitive and caring bunch.

Since when does tough = boorish? Thank goodness some people know how to conduct themselves with civility.

-- Joanna

alot of you guys sure are a sensitive and caring bunch.

Thank you for the compliment! cloud9.gifsmile.gif

Maybe it'll rub off on some others eventually. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Cheers,

Z.