• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Independent 3-D comics

49 posts in this topic

Seeing the posts on Indy comics in the copper section Got me all antsy and searching through some older books and I dug up a full long box of nifty 3-D books from the 80's.

It's interesting , I put them away in order of history and it started with Kirby's 'A Battle For A Three Dimensional World' that he was hired by a 3-D company to do a visual history of 3-D technology for, very bizarre but also very cool. Not sure if many have seen it, but when I was a kid it was hard one to find and a bit of a grail for me.

Also found AV in 3-D, I remember this one being very hard to find for me to get in Canada as a kid, think I ended up ordering it from Sulipa eventually. Oh, the memories. The box goes onto Alien Worlds 3-D(love to get a 9.8 CGC copy of this) Sheena 3-D with an amazing Dave Stevens cover. Seduction Of The Innocent and on and on...

I think the coolest one I found was two copies of the large format DESTROY by eclipse, one in 2-D and one in 3-D. Not sure if anyone saw this, but it is very cool. Just two super heroes kicking the living heck outta one another and wrecking the world.

In the box I found a stack of those white cut out three-D glasses to, must be over hundred pairs here. I love the insert glasses instead because they we're printed with art on them, but few publisher did that.

(I collect movie 3-D glasses as well, if anyone has any from the 50's through the 80's please PM me, that would be tres'cool)

Anyone else into these books as kids? I noticed that there really wasn't any 3-D books from the 60's and 70's, but good Gawd did they ever throw a ton out in the 80's. Blackthorn seemed to rule the roost on these as they had a continueing series by Ray Zone that sadly was just re- 3-D'd versions of old stufff like Krazy Kat and stuff that didn't exactly translate well.

Anyone else have any fave 3-D comics that they'd like to show off?

I found another one Called Stats etc in 3-D it's a smaller sized comic in 3-D about some super hero that gets clients who are on a deadline to use their stats services. Very weird.

What other 3-D books do you have that aren't Blackthorn, PC or Eclipse?

I've been dabbling in 50's 3-D books recently and have found some amazing deals. Really great covers and surprisingly great 3-D for the time as well.

I started collecting the 50's 3-d stuff a while back. I have over 1/2 of them I think. got a few doubles as well like the Superman 3-d and the Sheena along with a bunch of others. Very hard to find those with Glasses intact. I remember an ebay auction just for 2 pair of Superman glasses and it went for about $70

Whenever i find more recent ones I grab those as well. I think I have extra copies of Betty Boop ( which came without glasses) and Captain EO Staring the Action Hero Michael Jackson

1464312-3dfunnya%5B1%5D.jpg

Ok so it is not a Copper independent, but it is a hard one to find and many of them are water damaged as this one was in some kind of wharehouse flood

589a9194abe40_1464312-3dfunnya1.jpg.2778d39ee736efd01110a29ef407d035.jpg

A look through my independant collection, I only find 6 that are not PC, Eclipse (ie, Scout #16, Adolecent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters 3-D #1) or Blackthorne or that you haven't mention in the first post.

1. Will Eisner's 3-D Classics #1 (Kitchen Sink)

2. Steve Canyon 3-D #1 (Kitchen Sink)

3. Ms. Tree 3-D #1 (Renegade Press)

4. Against Blackshard 3-D #1 (Sirius Comics)

5. Disney's Comics in 3-D #1

6. Mage, a Hero Defined 3-D #1 (Image)

Need to find a copy of that Destroy!! 3-D Special #1.

Found 3 with Flexidiscs that I'd forgotten about (and then I forget one of those anyway.) Nexus vol.1 #3, ???, and Scout #19.

Seeing the posts on Indy comics in the copper section Got me all antsy and searching through some older books and I dug up a full long box of nifty 3-D books from the 80's.

It's interesting , I put them away in order of history and it started with Kirby's 'A Battle For A Three Dimensional World' that he was hired by a 3-D company to do a visual history of 3-D technology for, very bizarre but also very cool. Not sure if many have seen it, but when I was a kid it was hard one to find and a bit of a grail for me.

Also found AV in 3-D, I remember this one being very hard to find for me to get in Canada as a kid, think I ended up ordering it from Sulipa eventually. Oh, the memories. The box goes onto Alien Worlds 3-D(love to get a 9.8 CGC copy of this) Sheena 3-D with an amazing Dave Stevens cover. Seduction Of The Innocent and on and on...

I think the coolest one I found was two copies of the large format DESTROY by eclipse, one in 2-D and one in 3-D. Not sure if anyone saw this, but it is very cool. Just two super heroes kicking the living heck outta one another and wrecking the world.

In the box I found a stack of those white cut out three-D glasses to, must be over hundred pairs here. I love the insert glasses instead because they we're printed with art on them, but few publisher did that.

(I collect movie 3-D glasses as well, if anyone has any from the 50's through the 80's please PM me, that would be tres'cool)

Anyone else into these books as kids? I noticed that there really wasn't any 3-D books from the 60's and 70's, but good Gawd did they ever throw a ton out in the 80's. Blackthorn seemed to rule the roost on these as they had a continueing series by Ray Zone that sadly was just re- 3-D'd versions of old stufff like Krazy Kat and stuff that didn't exactly translate well.

Anyone else have any fave 3-D comics that they'd like to show off?

Hey buddy! I LOVE these as well. I think you're being way too hard on 3D zone, though, I think its an awesome series with some great material and gorgeous covers. #16 is the best 3d book of the 80s if you ask me - awesome 3d stevens marilyn monroe story cloud9.gif and an awesome cover. I have the one 9.8 devil.gif

Hey, Dan...

I was just allways so llet down by 3-D Zone as a kid, ray Zone allways seemed to be just reprinting old stuff from the 30's and 20's when I was buying it. Or at Least it seemed that way in my mmind, I'm right now reading the Stevens Monroe story, glasses on and everything just to make sure your not trying to mess with me.(kidding, bud)

Your right. It rules.

'best

Chris

That is one of my fave 3-D covers of all time from thee 50's!!! I'll have to say I love the two EC ones better but this issue is so cool, its everything a fifties comic should be. 3-D and a horror book, hell they even pput it in the movie Gremlins cause it was so dang cool.

Great scan man, love to see more.

thanks

Chris

I have been going through all those boxes of independants to get rid of and I snagged a few more 3-d's for my semi-permanant collection. It is always nice to fill holes from your own stock.

Blackthorne: Goldyn in 3-d and 3-d Heroes

Aardvark-Vanaheim: AV in 3D ( I have only found a handfull of AV's so far must be in the next box to look through)

and Kitchen Sink: Will Eisner's 3-D Classics featuring the Spirit. ( Sorted out a whole bunch of Kitchen Sinks)

1470335-AV3d.jpg

1470335-AV3d.jpg.7f2567b70ad3d30fcdba90ee64a8ccc9.jpg

That Sheena cover has to be seriously one the of the greatest pieces Stevens ever did and thats saying a lot. I remember buying that issue in the mid eighties when a comic shipment came into a Calgary comic shop called 'Comic Centre' and forcing the owner to go through his entire shipment to find it-- I guess being an insanely annoying 3D fan helped me in my crusade.

Gawd, I wish Stevens would have done the interiors as well. I think Ray Zone redid the 3D in this from the old artwork the reprinted from the fifties Sheena, cause it did look a lot better.

Love that this thread was dragged back from the dead-- Someone post a copy of Deep Comix 3D, I have never owned that one. My fave(outside the 50's) still had to be Three Dimensional Alien Worlds-- That book has it all for any young kid. Boobies, exploding heads, aliens, war in the future... Awesome-- still stunned I talked my mama into buying that, in retrospect that was a big 'Fail' on her behalf, but a big win for me. haha

Other 3D issues I never did find over my years-- National Lampoons 3D issue from I think '73-- Deep Comix 3D, There was a series of European 3D comics that came out in the late 70's but I have no clue what they we'r