• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

I think a lot of it for me is the condition aspect of the book. The cover looks weak, semi brittle and the pages are an unknown and look tan to cream. So from a collectors point of view I don't find it appealing. From a dealers or speculators point of view, I'm sure it's different. But I've never spent more than a grand on a book, so I'm kind of a cheapskate and for me to spend 30,000 dolars I'd have to be getting a vg which as we all know will never happen except by chance.

By attention I meant attention and action from fraudsters. If 30k is what brings the cockroaches into the light, why don't said cockroaches tend to a business where 30k is a daily occurance.

Ed

Good question. I wish they would.

Probably because there's less competition and more profit in collectibles fraud. confused-smiley-013.gif

How many cars are sold on a daily basis for 30k or more.

How many houses?

How many comic books are sold on a daily basis for 30k or more?

Not many. That's why it gets attention. Not too hard to figure out.

not to mention the car didn't originaly cost 10 cents

Umm.... there is a ton of fraudulent activity in real estate. The most common is making cosmetic fixes to severe structural problems and flipping to unsuspecting buyers, but I'm sure every kind of fraud possible has been done with real estate. Anywhere there is money to be made there is someone trying to make it dishonestly.

By attention I meant attention and action from fraudsters. If 30k is what brings the cockroaches into the light, why don't said cockroaches tend to a business where 30k is a daily occurance.

Ed

I am confused by the talk of fraud in this auction. I have no reason to believe or disbelieve that some of the underbidders had sold things under a cloud, but what has that to do with their being underbidders? is the implication that the 2nd most important comic book couldn;'t have sold for 30K in low grade without fraud? In a market where copies of books nobody ever heard of are going for four figures and hulk 181s are going for 10 and 20K, and where copies of Civil War Unlimited are being sold for hundreds and sometimes over a thousand, we think that nobody would buy a copy of Detective 27 for 30K unless they were defrauded by fake underbids?

Seriously, I am not just trying to make a point here. I am confused. Is it really felt that Metro was somehow bamboozled into buying a book for too much?

I guarantee you they'll resell it for a very nice profit and won't have to cheat anyone or find the one fool in the world willing to pay that much.

While I responded to ft88 about his fraud stuff, I certainly didnt see anything wrong with the auction, or with the book selling for what it did. In fact, knowing metro won it, I would assume that it will sell for significantly more than $31K + restoration fees as a restored 7.0 or whatever, a few months from now. In fact, it makes me think that the way to go if you want to own one of these kind of books is to wait for the 1.0s to show on ebay and buy them yourself and have the work done. Probably cheaper in the long run than buying nice restored books, even in the currently depressed restored market.

Talk about an easy decision whether to restore or not

Not really, You can always restore and not always unrestore. I think thats one allure of unrestored book even though they "look" bad.

Ed

Not really, You can always restore and not always unrestore. I think thats one allure of unrestored book even though they "look" bad.

Ed

this one is beyond bad...the damn book was chewed by a rat !!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

there is no allure to a disease carrying, filthy rodent chewing off little pieces

of your books spine, so he can make a bed out of it....disgusting!

and it was the 1st Batman from 1939!

If 30k is what brings the cockroaches into the light, why don't said cockroaches tend to a business where 30k is a daily occurance.

I bid $21,000 ........does that put me in the running for being a cockroach ???

That quote wasn't mine.

If 30k is what brings the cockroaches into the light, why don't said cockroaches tend to a business where 30k is a daily occurance.

I bid $21,000 ........does that put me in the running for being a cockroach ???

That quote wasn't mine.

I know Bluechip...you and I are OK. The quote was picked up in from one of your posts. Hey Bluechip....how you doin'? Buy or sell any neat books lately? popcorn.gif

Ed

I would agree that this one's a no-brainer. But even then I'd prefer the sort of resto that is (at least mostly) removable, even if the ultimate appearance grade turns out not to be as much as it could've been with more massive resto. If the standards and the market were to favor removable restoration over the non-removable type -- instead of favoring the highest number achieved-- then fewer books would end up being permanently altered by resto.

Ed

I agree. I might not have had the "rat chew" copy of Detective #27 restored. Realistically, it would probably sell for more with the rat chew than it would if you had the rat chew fixed.

Now, the Detective Comics #27 in this ebay auction that we've all been talking about, that is a no-brainer. The book already has amateur restoration. May as well just get the spine redone and the amateur work removed. It won't cost that much compared to what the book should sell for after the work is done.

I agree that the book might as well get restored, that will at least add strength to the cover. I just dislike books with vf or better covers and tan pages. It always makes the pages look worse.

I agree...that's why, as long you are having resto work done anyway....go for it and have the pages lightened and deacidified.