• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

I don't know about that. What Heritage is doing is definitely self-serving, but you have to admit that Heritage would almost certainly get a better price for that book than this guy will (I'm guessing $40K or so on Heritage in its present condition). The only question is how much of that sales price would get eaten up in a commission. What they're doing may be against ebay's own rules, but I don't think that what Heritage is suggesting would hurt the seller.

My understanding of ebay rules is that Heritage's solicitation is not allowed. I notified ebay of their message, so we will find out soon enough.

40K on that book in that grade is very optimistic imo. A purple lable 1.0? I think 30 is more on target.

It's amazing how Heritage can take comic book selling to an even lower low.

What they're doing may be against ebay's own rules, but I don't think that what Heritage is suggesting would hurt the seller.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. In my experience, Heritage gets aggressive prices for pedigrees, certain Timelys, and very high grade books, but I can't even remember how many low grade books I've managed to purchase from Heritage over the years and sell for nice profits on eBay later. Heritage rarely seems to do well on low grade books like this one.

You are right that 'Tec 27 has gone up in value over the last 2 1/2 years, but in low grade I don't think the value has increased all that much. The last 1.0 to sell through Heritage has incredible eye appeal from the front for a 1.0, and made an excellent restoration candidate as well. Considering this copy looks considerably worse, has some resto already, and could possibly be brittle (no way of knowing this, but the fact that it is in so many pieces seems to suggest this as a possibility), I would be surprised if Heritage got much more than $20k selling this book on their site. After you factor in commissions on top of that, I would bet the seller will be really disappointed if he decides to consign this book through Heritage.

This is all just my opinion of course, but I don't think consigning to Heritage would benefit the seller at all. My guess would be that selling this book through Heritage would probably put around $15,000 into the seller's pocket when everything is said and done. My guess is the book will end on eBay in the mid $20,000's.

I think ebay is a safe bet on this particular book for both the seller and the buyer. The buyer will save a big chunk on the heritage fee. If heritage thinks this book will do so well then they should offer to buy it outright from this guy and list it on their site.

What they're doing may be against ebay's own rules, but I don't think that what Heritage is suggesting would hurt the seller.

I have to respectfully disagree on this one. In my experience, Heritage gets aggressive prices for pedigrees, certain Timelys, and very high grade books, but I can't even remember how many low grade books I've managed to purchase from Heritage over the years and sell for nice profits on eBay later. Heritage rarely seems to do well on low grade books like this one.

You are right that 'Tec 27 has gone up in value over the last 2 1/2 years, but in low grade I don't think the value has increased all that much. The last 1.0 to sell through Heritage has incredible eye appeal from the front for a 1.0, and made an excellent restoration candidate as well. Considering this copy looks considerably worse, has some resto already, and could possibly be brittle (no way of knowing this, but the fact that it is in so many pieces seems to suggest this as a possibility), I would be surprised if Heritage got much more than $20k selling this book on their site. After you factor in commissions on top of that, I would bet the seller will be really disappointed if he decides to consign this book through Heritage.

This is all just my opinion of course, but I don't think consigning to Heritage would benefit the seller at all. My guess would be that selling this book through Heritage would probably put around $15,000 into the seller's pocket when everything is said and done. My guess is the book will end on eBay in the mid $20,000's.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think you guys are probably right. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That Heritage commission and buyer's premium take a big chunk out of the sales proceeds and the book is doing pretty well on ebay as it is.

I don't know about that. What Heritage is doing is definitely self-serving, but you have to admit that Heritage would almost certainly get a better price for that book than this guy will (I'm guessing $40K or so on Heritage in its present condition). The only question is how much of that sales price would get eaten up in a commission. What they're doing may be against ebay's own rules, but I don't think that what Heritage is suggesting would hurt the seller.

My understanding of ebay rules is that Heritage's solicitation is not allowed. I notified ebay of their message, so we will find out soon enough.

40K on that book in that grade is very optimistic imo. A purple lable 1.0? I think 30 is more on target.

Yeah, maybe. I was thinking about the value of the book as a potential restoration candidate that could achieve Ext. (P) 7.0 or so. I don't see evidence of brittleness on the interior (no small flakes missing from the interior page edges that would suggest brittleness), and the whole cover spine is going to have to be rebuilt anyway, so if there's some brittleness at the edges of the cover, it can be fixed as long as the main parts of the cover still retain flexibility and paper strength. I think someone is going to wind up with a heck of an arbitrage opportunity through a cheap purchase and a few thousand bucks worth of restoration on this book.

Zero satisfaction? Moondog consigned a bunch of stuff with Heritage and said it was a great experience. tth2 seems happy with his experience. Plenty of buyers (including me) also seem happy with their experiences. confused-smiley-013.gif

You are right that 'Tec 27 has gone up in value over the last 2 1/2 years, but in low grade I don't think the value has increased all that much. .

I have heard of more than half the low grade copies of Detective 27 sold through heritage in recent years re-selling for between 30 and 200 percent more, within 6 and 24 months. (example -- 36K CGC 3.0 that resold for 48K within months, and possibly resold yet again?)

And I do not know of a single copy of Action 1 or Detective 27 recently sold on ebay that has stayed with the original buiyer. Heritage is great for reaching the high end pedigree and slab buyers of pedigree and esoteric books, but I just don't see them getting to those people who are not already big collectors and are just interested in having a copy in any grade of a first Batman ior Superman. Those are apparently better reached in other ways, which has made Heritage a good place to buy such books to turn them around.

I understand...I have had that same problem too.....but my post referenced the combo of my 100% feedback PLUS checking with everyone in the industry that you know....that adds a whole different element of "safety"

In other words, your feedback is meaningless and your rep is valuable.

love the ad for heritage....come see us and blow off your ebay listing...you'll

make more money and we'll be able to help you sell to a wonderful buyer that won't mind

paying the additional premium.

I am sure eBay would not be too happy to know that their site is being used by

Heritage to steal eBay's business.

....not to mention that Heritage also is an Ebay seller...which means they are saying in a way "don't sell this book on Ebay...cancel your listing and we'll get you more for it thru one of our Signature auctions....which by the way will include having this book listed on Ebay" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have to wonder if Heritage really posted that or if it was some joker playing a prank? Come on, Heritage can't be THAT dumb?? Can they? 893whatthe.gif

I understand...I have had that same problem too.....but my post referenced the combo of my 100% feedback PLUS checking with everyone in the industry that you know....that adds a whole different element of "safety"

actually, it is the combo that counts.

100% feedback can be used for good or evil.....I use mine for good--I ALWAYS give people exactly what they want, and the 100% feedback builds their faith in me, and they are NEVER disapointed! The same can be used for evil....perfect feedback can be a way to rob people blind, as they have unwarranted faith in you because of it. So feedback definitely is a good starting point, but the extra factor to push you over the edge, and help distinguish between good and evil is the rep you develop from others in the industry...it is priceless....and since you can't fake that, the rep is more important than the feedback. I'm still very proud of mine though ( as it is real, and was earned! )

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3288&de=off

actually, it is the combo that counts.

100% feedback can be used for good or evil.....I use mine for good--I ALWAYS give people exactly what they want, and the 100% feedback builds their faith in me, and they are NEVER disapointed! The same can be used for evil....perfect feedback can be a way to rob people blind, as they have unwarranted faith in you because of it. So feedback definitely is a good starting point, but the extra factor to push you over the edge, and help distinguish between good and evil is the rep you develop from others in the industry...it is priceless....and since you can't fake that, the rep is more important than the feedback. I'm still very proud of mine though ( as it is real, and was earned! )

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...3288&de=off

All you need is one jerk who has a beef against you and you could get a negative feedback for no good reason. I've seen it happen to people I know.

This message is a real hoot:

Q: Hello, I saw the note from Heritage. Please post this after their email - tell them they're a bunch of scumbags for trying to steal this comic from you. Too bad they don't have any integrity. Ignore those greedy pr*cks.

This message is a real hoot:

Q: Hello, I saw the note from Heritage. Please post this after their email - tell them they're a bunch of scumbags for trying to steal this comic from you. Too bad they don't have any integrity. Ignore those greedy pr*cks.

Well...they had it coming. Heritage's wesbite has them proudly claim that in the past 12 months they have sold over $552,000,000 worth of items thru their auction house....that's half a billion with a 'b". You would think with that kind of dominance you would not have to rely on stealing leads from other auction venues 893naughty-thumb.gif.

I wonder how Heritage would feel if the executives at Ebay had a way to contact Heritage cosigners ( after the auction started, and people had already bid - key point ), and ask them to withdraw their items so they can do better with less fees by selling on Ebay? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif