• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

got a front & back pic?

West

hello all...

the original front and back pic can be seen in the heritage archives, here is the "donor" back cover:

thanks

rick

tec27bc.jpg

The seller had a responsibilty here, ESPECIALLY if he is not a comic collector/delaer, to seek an expert opinion of what he was offering, to aviod a situation like this. I'm sure his "friend" - the real seller, told him it's a $30k+ book. I sell on Ebay, and if I was offering a $30K+ item I new nothing about, I sure would do my homework before the listing started.....but that's me. I actually care what my buyers receive, and always have extremely accurate ads.

man this statment really drives me crazy. why is it the sellers responibility. it's some dude on ebay.

and you we're gonna spen 21 grand on some random guy's book that you don't know from adam.

he doesn't claim to know anything about comics. you my friend are the one who has the responibility if you are spending 21 grand on something you know nothing about. and when i say you know nothing about it i mean you know nothing about the book or the seller other then a few craapy pictures.

Is one or both a Frankenbook, or neither?

Here is a Cap 66 -- - what you see are pieces from two covers. One is from the original attached to the booik, which had the logo clipped. Another is from a loose cover only that was also missing a big chunk out of the cover -- below the logo.

I married the two, but not irreversibly. Simply put the loose cover underneath the other. Were this a tec 27 however, I think it would be both the time and expense to put them together.

CaptainAmerica66mrdlogo.jpg

And here is a book I bought as a VF only to discover to my everlasting shock that some of the edge pieces were added later.

Batman31amateurresto1945.jpg

I don't know that I have an example of a book restored with cadaver pieces from a different issue.

The seller had a responsibilty here, ESPECIALLY if he is not a comic collector/delaer, to seek an expert opinion of what he was offering, to aviod a situation like this. I'm sure his "friend" - the real seller, told him it's a $30k+ book. I sell on Ebay, and if I was offering a $30K+ item I new nothing about, I sure would do my homework before the listing started.....but that's me. I actually care what my buyers receive, and always have extremely accurate ads.

man this statment really drives me crazy. why is it the sellers responibility. it's some dude on ebay.

and you we're gonna spen 21 grand on some random guy's book that you don't know from adam.

Once in a while Element, "some dude on Ebay" comes up with a Grail...as in this case. To your other point, you are obviously not a 100% feedback Ebay seller, or seller at all, if you have no idea why I say it's the sellers responsibility to know what he's offering, especially on a high dollar transaction.

And here is a book I bought as a VF only to discover to my everlasting shock that some of the edge pieces were added later.

Bluechip - surely the shock is that you bought that Batman as a VF blush.gif

Once in a while Element, "some dude on Ebay" comes up with a Grail...as in this case. To your other point, you are obviously not a 100% feedback Ebay seller, or seller at all, if you have no idea why I say it's the sellers responsibility to know what he's offering, especially on a high dollar transaction.

my point is if your gonna spend that kind of money on anything then i think you should be the responsible one. don't leave it to the seller who just happend to stumble across a book like that. after all it is ebay. not an established comic dealers web site.

my point is if your gonna spend that kind of money on anything then i think you should be the responsible one. don't leave it to the seller who just happend to stumble across a book like that. after all it is ebay. not an established comic dealers web site.

ahhhh....I am with you now. Because of exactly what you said, had I ended up being the high bidder, I would have hopped on a plane to wherever this seller is, and bought this book in person ONLY. I would NEVER ( and I think this is your point ) send a $20k or $30K check to a stranger, and hope everything works out. For that kind of money, this deal would be done in person.,,,,,,after I looked at every centimeter of this book, did a page count, and brought a black lite , magnified lite, and a Fortress to take it back home in!

Bluechip - surely the shock is that you bought that Batman as a VF blush.gif

Once again, my humor was too subtle. No, of course I didn't buy it and I didn't think it's restored either, unless it was supposed to look like this in the first pl;ace. The missing pieces have not been "replaced," they are still mjssing. And it has been "restored" but damaged furtrher.

This is what comes from typing too fast because you know you should be doing something else.

But correcting the typos in the previous post

Once again, my humor was too subtle. No, of course I didn't buy it as a VF or even as a fair. And I didn't think it' was restored either, unless it was supposed to look like this in the first pl;ace. The missing pieces have not been "replaced," they are still mjssing. And it has not been "restored" but damaged further

I have had books worked on by Matt and Tracy and I have seen several books done by Susan. The Susan book I had the most exposure to was a Batman 1 that a dealer bought and had restored by Susan right as the 1st movie came out. The work on it did not look too good, but I know the dealer pushed her to get it done quick so he could catch the wave from the movie, so probably not the best measure of her work. I had Tracy do my Batman 1 which had tape down the entire spine, Batman and Robins mouths colored in with black ink, and some rubbed off ink on the "B" in "BATMAN". Tracy did an awesome job on it keeping the work to a bare bones minimum which is what I wanted. Here is a link to the Batman 1 he did for me.

My Batman 1

You may have to select Batman 1 on the page.

Matt did work on two books for me, a spine roll removal on one which looked pretty good and replacing a missing centerfold on another book which he did a great job on, especially with matching the pages.

Thanks for sharing Batman_Fan. What's the name of the company that Tracy works for? Spectacular job she did thumbsup2.gif

Tracey is a "he." I made the same mistake the first time I saw his name. 27_laughing.gif His company is Eclipse Paper Conservation. www.eclipsepaper.com

Oops, its just one of those names where it's unisex.. I was juggling whether to call Tracey a "he" or a "she" Thanks for the correction.

You take far too much pride in your feedback.