• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip fellas.. I almost had my Tec 29 restored by Susan because she did an awesome job with another 29 in her photo gallery, but I backed out because I knew I would be paying alot of $ and I wanted to save that for more books. Eventually, I will try to have a book restored by Susan and another from Matt so I can compare the difference (quality and price). But yea, that would be nice to let us know which person did a better job on restroation Ciorac. And maybe even post up a before and after scan of your book on here smile.gif

Susan has two Detective Comics #29 in her gallery. When I first looked at the gallery, I mistakenly thought that it was just multiple pictures of the same book, but it is actually two books.

If you send books to Matt and Susan for comparison, make sure that you're sending comparable books. Same publisher, same general timeframe, and similar defects. Otherwise you could be misled by the good results from one book that is easier to restore than the other.

[

Matt uses a lot of cadaver books. He goes on buying sprees looking for old golden and silver age beaters with the colors he needs for key books.

I did not know that. It sorta makes sense, but I never even thought of it. You learn something new every day. I guess that's why the phrase "Frankenbook" came into vogue.

sort of. I think a Frankenbook is book that is more fake (manufactured parts) than original. Others may disagree.

Bill,

Completely sign-offtopic.gif, but I just have to say, while the spinning ball thing is cool.... the Spock avatar was Classic! Let me be the first to say BRING BACK SPOCK!

You are actually the second person to tell him that. 27_laughing.gifyay.gif It's one of the only avatars on here that I don't get tired of looking at.

Bill,

Completely sign-offtopic.gif, but I just have to say, while the spinning ball thing is cool.... the Spock avatar was Classic! Let me be the first to say BRING BACK SPOCK!

I hear and I obey the will of Landrew. Are you of the Body?

Bill,

You should use the spinning ball thing then, I like it. But, you are right, the Spock things is really more represenative of who I am.

I had to google up this reference, I had completely forgotten that episode, but it is an awesome one. I've really got to pick up the original Treks on DVD and rewatch them. Havent seen them in years.

Also, the discussion about restoration professionals was quite interesting, sorry to have interrupted!

Another way sign-offtopic.gif post.

Thanks for the tip fellas.. I almost had my Tec 29 restored by Susan because she did an awesome job with another 29 in her photo gallery, but I backed out because I knew I would be paying alot of $ and I wanted to save that for more books. Eventually, I will try to have a book restored by Susan and another from Matt so I can compare the difference (quality and price). But yea, that would be nice to let us know which person did a better job on restroation Ciorac. And maybe even post up a before and after scan of your book on here smile.gif

Susan has two Detective Comics #29 in her gallery. When I first looked at the gallery, I mistakenly thought that it was just multiple pictures of the same book, but it is actually two books.

If you send books to Matt and Susan for comparison, make sure that you're sending comparable books. Same publisher, same general timeframe, and similar defects. Otherwise you could be misled by the good results from one book that is easier to restore than the other.

Good tip. I was thinking of that too, but I guess I just wanted a general comparison on two books with about the same defects. I guess the era of when the book was made plays a role too?

hello all...

I have met both Matt and Susan, and have just recently bought a Susan restored book (in fact, it is the tec 29 that Brent is selling me, that Susan did)....I also know that Matt has done a fantastic job on a Tec 27 (Ian's) and he currently has my Tec 27 which I am "back and forth" on having restored (and he is Ciorac's main man, so that makes him "my" main man when it comes to restoration)....Matt's estimate to me was $1200 to marry the back cover (see the heritage archive for the tec 27 in 1.0 fr, that is the book I have)...I bought the book because the seller also had an original Tec 27 back cover that looked great, so my thoughts were to "marry" the 2, and Matt was going to do a front cover piece replacement, a few tear seals, and some color touch and his estimate was a VF, and he promised me a bang up job ! (Bill, please put a good word in for me on this !)...

but, with the advent of the recent availability of restored tec 27's, I am leaning towards keeping the book unrestored....any opinions?

on a side note, I kind of "gashed" the tec 1 I just got from Centaurman, so I am sending that to Matt to repair (it already has ext restoration, so now I will have some "conservation" done on the tear I created by not knowing how to put back in a mylar...actually, it was from the assistance of my over zealous 4 year old son trying to help, that caused the snag/tear, but I am fine with it...ouch!)

rick

[quote it was from the assistance of my over zealous 4 year old son trying to help, that caused the snag/tear, but I am fine with it...ouch!)

rick

Ouch! Now at least I don't feel too foolish for letting my daughter get into my Archie's., (they were the later issues, thank God), but now I have a set with better conditions from the 40s than from '85 on up

hello all...

all of these books I am collecting, I am trying to collect with my son in mind....trying to pass on my "passion" for the GA and our love of Batman (the kid looks great in his Batman underoos)...so, this is a learing process for us both.....had it of been a "virgin" tec 1, I likely would not have let him handle, but I felt it was important that he share with me...

rick

Matt did some really nice work for me 6 or 7 years ago. He does great tape and glue removal too. I would trust any books with him if I was still into having resto done. He's also been somewhat of a target around here, which bothered me a bit because I think he's a good guy.

I have had books worked on by Matt and Tracy and I have seen several books done by Susan. The Susan book I had the most exposure to was a Batman 1 that a dealer bought and had restored by Susan right as the 1st movie came out. The work on it did not look too good, but I know the dealer pushed her to get it done quick so he could catch the wave from the movie, so probably not the best measure of her work. I had Tracy do my Batman 1 which had tape down the entire spine, Batman and Robins mouths colored in with black ink, and some rubbed off ink on the "B" in "BATMAN". Tracy did an awesome job on it keeping the work to a bare bones minimum which is what I wanted. Here is a link to the Batman 1 he did for me.

My Batman 1

You may have to select Batman 1 on the page.

Matt did work on two books for me, a spine roll removal on one which looked pretty good and replacing a missing centerfold on another book which he did a great job on, especially with matching the pages.

[

Matt uses a lot of cadaver books. He goes on buying sprees looking for old golden and silver age beaters with the colors he needs for key books.

I did not know that. It sorta makes sense, but I never even thought of it. You learn something new every day. I guess that's why the phrase "Frankenbook" came into vogue.

sort of. I think a Frankenbook is book that is more fake (manufactured parts) than original. Others may disagree.

Would you count a book with a married front/back cover or pages a "Frankenbook" if they were original? Just from different copies.

[

Would you count a book with a married front/back cover or pages a "Frankenbook" if they were original? Just from different copies.

I guess technically, since Frankenstein was made of parts from different people, they should be different books. Certainly married parts should be indicated in some way, but even then -- if you want to be totally accurate, you should want to differentiatate between married pieces that you know came from another book and married piees that might possibly have been from the same book. (i.e. you have a coverless copy and you find a loose cover that matches completely . It could possibly be the coverless book's original cover. I have several times purchased a book missing a centerfold and then had the dealer call and say they found a loose centerfold from within the same collection. And once the same thing happened with a back cover pinup. Should I have assumed they were from the same book? No, because you can't guarantee it. But you can't say for sure they weren't, either.

Anyway, if you did decide to apply the term of Frankenbook to copies using married parts from other copies of the same issue, then you'd need to come up with another term for books using cannibalized parts from completely different issues, which I think most would agree is a bigger deal. So perhaps in the absence of an even harsher term for those books, it would be best to keep the name of Frankenbook for those using cannibalized parts from totally different issues.

I have had books worked on by Matt and Tracy and I have seen several books done by Susan. The Susan book I had the most exposure to was a Batman 1 that a dealer bought and had restored by Susan right as the 1st movie came out. The work on it did not look too good, but I know the dealer pushed her to get it done quick so he could catch the wave from the movie, so probably not the best measure of her work. I had Tracy do my Batman 1 which had tape down the entire spine, Batman and Robins mouths colored in with black ink, and some rubbed off ink on the "B" in "BATMAN". Tracy did an awesome job on it keeping the work to a bare bones minimum which is what I wanted. Here is a link to the Batman 1 he did for me.

My Batman 1

Matt did work on two books for me, a spine roll removal on one which looked pretty good and replacing a missing centerfold on another book which he did a great job on, especially with matching the pages.

Thanks for sharing Batman_Fan. What's the name of the company that Tracy works for? Spectacular job she did thumbsup2.gif

My Batman 1

Thanks for sharing Batman_Fan. What's the name of the company that Tracy works for? Spectacular job she did thumbsup2.gif

Tracey is a "he." I made the same mistake the first time I saw his name. 27_laughing.gif His company is Eclipse Paper Conservation. www.eclipsepaper.com

hello all...

I have met both Matt and Susan, and have just recently bought a Susan restored book (in fact, it is the tec 29 that Brent is selling me, that Susan did)....I also know that Matt has done a fantastic job on a Tec 27 (Ian's) and he currently has my Tec 27 which I am "back and forth" on having restored (and he is Ciorac's main man, so that makes him "my" main man when it comes to restoration)....Matt's estimate to me was $1200 to marry the back cover (see the heritage archive for the tec 27 in 1.0 fr, that is the book I have)...I bought the book because the seller also had an original Tec 27 back cover that looked great, so my thoughts were to "marry" the 2, and Matt was going to do a front cover piece replacement, a few tear seals, and some color touch and his estimate was a VF, and he promised me a bang up job ! (Bill, please put a good word in for me on this !)...

but, with the advent of the recent availability of restored tec 27's, I am leaning towards keeping the book unrestored....any opinions?

got a front & back pic?

West