• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

Good show selegue,

Here are my similar copies. These are more digest size too if you couldn't tell from the scans.

They're sure not similar in condition to mine! Very nice.

I remember now that the small front cover scan I posted was the seller's scan of my copy.

I don't know much about these books. They're not listed in Overstreet, at least the outdated one I have nearby. Does anyone know how many there were and what years they were published? I should dig mine out of storage to see whether it's 50% or more comics to qualify for inclusion in the GCD.

Jack

Adv of Riggin Bill is listed but I couldn't find the other one. As you can imagine they aren't worth a heck of a lot.

Thus..... the short bus.

Drrrrrrrr Drrrrrrr

cartman.jpg

Edited by ft88

Its great to see stuff like that! Its so refreshing to know there are still books I have never seen after 22 years at this!

Here's a Short Bus candidate that I just posted to the Promo thread looking for information.

Ever seen it?

1483043-water.JPG

Thanks,

Jack

The main Rudolph in the Bakertowne batch was the 1959-1960 issue. I'm not sure if there were any others. The DCs were in low quantity anyway. Not a lot of Harvey either as I recall, and those seemed especially low-grade and heavily inked. A decent amount of Pines books, esp. Mighty Mouse. TONS of Archies and Gilbertons. What's weird is that there were often just 2-3 issues of a title. For instance, there are mountains of three Katy Keene Pin-Up Parade Giants, but only a few of an issue between them. And the regular Katy Keene title which should have 6-12 different issues during that period, had only two copies in any quantity in the warehouse. It is definitely the same find with the Archie Christmas Stockings. Lots of #6, I believe a few #5s.

As Montezuma said, you could sometimes find some very nice books and even the inked books usually had nice gloss and fabulous white pages. But there's lots of ink and warping and water damage on many/most.

There must've been minimum 10,000 comics. Possibly much more.

Btw, others who have been in the hobby a long time told me that this warehouse had been around and known for years and that books from it came out decades earlier.

Marc

Oddball stuff is the best! Cheap, entertaining, and its a vast territory of undiscovered fun!

Is that the same warehouse find that had the Archie Christmas giants and the late issue rudolphs? I just got 2 rudolphs with heavy blue spray, and the seller also had some classics WAU? Anyone know just how many books were there?

I think so. My purchases were 1958-60 books from several publishers: Archie, Gliberton, Pines, Seaboard, Harvey, etc. There were some Rudolphs.

Jack

The main Rudolph in the Bakertowne batch was the 1959-1960 issue. I'm not sure if there were any others.

I only got 1959-60

The DCs were in low quantity anyway. Not a lot of Harvey either as I recall, and those seemed especially low-grade and heavily inked. A decent amount of Pines books, esp. Mighty Mouse.

Definitely Mighty Mouse

Lots of Dennis the Menace

TONS of Archies and Gilbertons. What's weird is that there were often just 2-3 issues of a title. For instance, there are mountains of three Katy Keene Pin-Up Parade Giants, but only a few of an issue between them. And the regular Katy Keene title which should have 6-12 different issues during that period, had only two copies in any quantity in the warehouse. It is definitely the same find with the Archie Christmas Stockings. Lots of #6, I believe a few #5s.

I only got #6, but only bought a few lots.

As Montezuma said, you could sometimes find some very nice books and even the inked books usually had nice gloss and fabulous white pages. But there's lots of ink and warping and water damage on many/most.

There must've been minimum 10,000 comics. Possibly much more.

Btw, others who have been in the hobby a long time told me that this warehouse had been around and known for years and that books from it came out decades earlier.

Marc

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Jack

Oddball stuff is the best! Cheap, entertaining, and its a vast territory of undiscovered fun!

Is that the same warehouse find that had the Archie Christmas giants and the late issue rudolphs? I just got 2 rudolphs with heavy blue spray, and the seller also had some classics WAU? Anyone know just how many books were there?

I think so. My purchases were 1958-60 books from several publishers: Archie, Gliberton, Pines, Seaboard, Harvey, etc. There were some Rudolphs.

Jack

So yesterday I receive a mid- to low-grade mid-run Tomahawk book in the mail, issue # 57, one short of the first dinosaur cover I believe -

1483187-Tomahawk57.jpg

and I'm thinking that's probably a short bus book to most until I read it today to find a three-page Frazetta story, apparently a reprint from an early Jimmy Wakely. Since most here like Frank's work, here's Tombstone in all its four-color glory -

1483187-Tomahawk57-Frazetta1.jpg

1483187-Tomahawk57-Frazetta2.jpg

1483187-Tomahawk57-Frazetta3.jpg

1483187-Tomahawk57-Frazetta3.jpg.1a3343bb4bbc088f1291ce7cae3f9904.jpg

That was a fun read!

Seeing the thought ballon from across the valley (page 2, panel 3) made me think: Longest Thought Balloon distance ever! But knowing DC they probably had someone's thought ballon from space at some point.

Scrooge, have you ever considered collecting every Western comic? Or at least the pre-codes? How hard would that be? How many comics?

Marc

Scrooge, have you ever considered collecting every Western comic? Or at least the pre-codes? How hard would that be? How many comics?

Gosh no! I mean, unlike most, I do like my Western comic books ( acclaim.gif) but there are long runs even I could not stomach, most famously I have no attraction for the Roy Rogers series. It is an interesting question about how many books that would entail. It's late but I'll look around to check for a ball park figure tomorrow. If only Giff was reading this, he may beat me to the estimate ...

The Wonder of water! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I love it, the most ridiculous promo I have seen! Two kids, up on a hill...pondering water! foreheadslap.gif

Thenkyaverrymuch, you're a lovely audience. So easily amused!

How about FOUR unique versions of a comic book about rubber.

1483043-wbor1953small.JPG

1483043-wbor1961small.JPG

1483043-wbor1966small.JPG

1483043-wbor1973small.JPG

I suppose that these should really be at the promo thread, but no one seems to be looking there.

Jack

Watch out for that Goodrich blimp, Frank!

How about FOUR unique versions of a comic book about rubber?

Everyone is already rendered speechless, but I noticed that there's a 1947 version at GCD so I'll add it to the set.

Does anyone know whether there are others?

1483043-wbor1947.jpg

Jack

bo-o-o-i-ing