• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec 40 VF-VF on E-bay - too good to be true?

40 posts in this topic

Tec #40 VF- to VF on e-bay at $510 looks too good to be true.

Tec #40

1. 3 feedback 100% positive seller - all purchases last one im May 2005

2. International money order or certified cheque only payment methods

3. Description just seems too slick to me for a first time e-bay seller. Not a comic collector (Royal Doulton figurines smirk.gif) but describes grading in letter and number format and mentions Owl scale. A comic dealer told him to sell on e-bay while offering him the advice that he describes so well.

Could be a hijacked account or a true sale but just seems too good to be true.

Does anyone know the seller?

George

I would email the seller but when they say they are not comic collectors and then go on to describe the book using terms like spine roll, no rusty staples, etc it makes you wonder. However, if payment is sent by certifed cheque and registered mail would it be worth it for this guy to pull a fraud, probably not.

hello all...

I saw the book this morning, and have emailed the seller to see if he would allow a pick up of the book in person, as I have several friends/customers in Vancouver...

will post response for those interested...

rick

hello all

just checked, and I have a response from Kari, the seller...they said no problem having someone inspect or view the book or pick the book up, said they have been getting a lot of emails about restoration (does the spine appear to have some work done, and the bottom edge, or is it just me?)....

they can't have anyone view until the13th, but I am going to try to set something up

rick

hello all...

yes, I am tending to agree now, that this is not legit....the feedback and bidding history, at the very minimum suggest serious shill...and now, this Kari cannot remember the name or phone # of the comic book store she had evaluate the book....and did not provide contact info from them, as I requested...

I am passing

rick

I had decided to pass before posting the thread on the boards.

Adding the shilling to the long list of items to be wary of definetly make this auction a no-no.

hi.gif George

Smart move. thumbsup2.gif

Holy Moly, I didnt notice that.. I offered Kari an offer on the book (which was pretty low because I had a feeling it was restored and because feedback is only 3), good thing he didn't accept. Had I known about the shilling, then it would be a different story. Good detective work people!

I don't know about you guys but I can't even look at it this cover..... Robin holding onto the Joker's wang for dear life is a little too much for me to want to spend good money on it crazy.gif

First time I every saw that cover! yay.gif

Looks nice but the whole thing *feels* fake.

Low feedback guy - higher grade rare book.

"International Money Orders and Certified Cheques only"

poke2.gif

Who wants ot run the risk of signing for registered mail and then cashing a draft or money order so they can scam someone? Signature release and the bank will ID the person when they cash it so I am missing something?

hello all...

for someone in CAN that sells to someone in the US, there is virtually no risk in taking money (signed for or not)....this seller is obviously engaging in shill bidding, and I believe has not disclosed work done to the book (I do believe they have the book though)...it is "easy" to scam someone across the border...

just because you send a payment registered and they sign for it and cash it, do you know how next to impossible it would be to get your money back if it is a scam or the item is not what they presented and you wanted a refund and they refuse?...I have had a situation dealing with a person in CAN several years ago, that almost took me for $5K...it took me over a year, and more paperwork, and costs in phone calls and registered letters , and talking with Canadian customs and Canadian Province officials, and retaining lawyers in Canada, etc, that at one point, I almost gave up....luckily, I caught a break, but man, it just is not worth it if you are not 100% sure the auction is on the up and up (and the shill bidding alone tells me it is not)...

rick