• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

to crack or not to crack part 2

16 posts in this topic

That looks like a very solid 7.0 if it weren't for the tear...

however.....well, you know..if wishes were fishes, etc......

I would think technically it might garner a 4.5, but possibly as low as a 3.5..

I'll guess CGC gave it a 4.5.... confused-smiley-013.gif

This one might be better off left in the holder..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't crack it out as the tear is very susceptible to getting worse going in and out of a mylar. (its why I had it slabbed in the first place gossip.gif)

I will say that it has incredible white pages and reads like a VF book in terms of freshness and cover gloss/feel. For a $300ish single digit Spidey, cracking it and keeping the label wouldn't cost anything. I'd just worry about the tear getting worse.

Ed

I wouldn't crack it out as the tear is very susceptible to getting worse going in and out of a mylar. (its why I had it slabbed in the first place gossip.gif)

I will say that it has incredible white pages and reads like a VF book in terms of freshness and cover gloss/feel. For a $300ish single digit Spidey, cracking it and keeping the label wouldn't cost anything. I'd just worry about the tear getting worse.

Ed

what he said. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ed

what he said. gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

Ditto.

And I'd guess 3.5.

Leave it in the slab--whatever the grade, although I agree with the 3.5. It's easier to sell in the slab--at least on ebay. BTW, I've been a Ram fan since 1967.

so i take it the SLR stands for ST LOUIS RAMS!

ive been a ram fan all my life, and its been hard but, im a ram fan no matter what, win or lose

we need to drop the hawks this week, cuz if we dont were in trouble

I'd have a hard time calling that book any more than a 3.0 with that big a tear on the FC. If CGC was more generous, leave it slabbed. If you plan on selling it, leave it slabbed - unless it was graded lower. If you are keeping it and you like your books raw, and CGC didn't give it a gift grade - bust it out.

I guess my initial thought are if this comic, by all rights would have graded around a 7.0 and that tear is the one piece that knocks it out of the FN/VF range, I would probably grade it a 4.0...maaaybe 4.5 (definitely not higher though).

Corners are nice, no spine roll, no stresses, creases, etc. That top staple does look off somehow, but still intact. Yeah, I'd say between a 4.0-4.5 if the inside does read like a VF as stated.

is this a qualified grade?

anywhoo leave it in. get a grand for it take your time and be patient, or get it restored to 9.4 ~lol~

looks nice and you probably get a sweet trade if you aren't so anxious - why throw the $50.00 encapsulation (submit,insurance, postage, etc) away too. Or however much it is now. Getting ready to submit a Cap 2 and MM 9