• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Committee members

131 posts in this topic

I'm in favor of the change.

Ah but would he have? That's the question.

Well, if he felt strongly about it.....he might have needed to grow a slightly larger pair. He certainly could have contacted any number of people including myself. Why should he be allowed to snipe anonymously? Master Chief has not felt it necessary.

Well here it is:

Redhook

Foolkiller

FFB

Alternate:

Burntboy

I made the decisions based on many factors, but I felt this group would work best together. Jeff (Nearmint) thought this was a good grouping as well.

Now we need to figure out a schedule of what day of the week to call (Wed is always out as I have "daughter and daddy dinner date" that night and have to get enough work done to leave the office on time). The committee should talk and figure out what is best for them. They will call my cell # and I will call them right back so they do not have to pay the phone fees. Friday afternoons are not the best, but I can do it.

I have a small problem with the committee as it does not include a seasoned buyer and seller of raw and CGC comics. I was hoping FD was going to make the cut for this reason. We also do not have anyone who is seasoned in the Golden Age and Atomic Age market. I hope the committee will use people in these areas when researching the questions they will be asking and the answers that CGC will give.

The first question I want to put to the committee (and the boards) is that CGC wants to make it mandatory that board members provide us their real names with proof (tel # ?) and that the names are posted in their bio. They can still use board names when posting, but we have too many shills, some just for the reason of bashing competitors and other board members. I would like to know what the committee members think. We feel that if you can honestly make posts about another member or a dealer, you have no need to hide who you are. Most of you state your real name already, so I don't see it as a big deal.

Think on that and other issues you want brought up.

Thanks to Jeff for his work on the voting hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Let's make this work! thumbsup2.gif

-Steve

I don't have a huge amount of selling experience, but probably enough buying experience on the raw/CGC side to have input into the discussion... plus I have no trouble on calling on those dealers with the proper level of experience to help give input for their perspective as we communicate concerns and issues with CGC.

Hopefully, others will contribute on the GA side.

Disclosure of the names, personal information is a necessary idea -- but the information should be kept private and not accessible for all the world to see, which sounds like CGC/boards moderators will do.

Presumably we need to set up a conference call each week... I'll talk to Scott and Brad and try to set up a conference # -- it shouldn't be that hard -- and then circulate that number weekly with the code and we can all just call into it.

Awesome, our very own CGC Civil War

Are you pro-board member registration or against?

Personally, I have no problem with, most of the core members here have done business with each other or have ebay accounts who sell, where you could get their personal info from there just as easy, so it's not a point of someone having something to hide.

I see it as a positive step towards getting rid of the shills, I know at CPG they keep a database of know shill used IP's so when someone signs up it goes into holding untill one of the admins approves the member id, the number of shills over there have dropped ten fold, but then again so has overall board activity. Shills breed activity, that's just a fact of life, some are good some are bad, it's the bad ones we can do without.

I'm all for it, aside from that cheerleader chained in my closet, I have nothing to hide.

But I do agree that anything personal, including our full names, should not be available on the site to the general public, you should have our profiles set so that they can only be accessed by a registered member of the boards.

Also, you have to come up with a way to determine how to handle current members, who tracks who has submitted the info? how would you track that? is anyone grandfathered in?

Just my Canadian $.018 cents(I used the exchange rate)

Great choices, Steve. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif As for the personal info, I already have my real name listed in my bio and have no problem giving you my phone number if it is needed. I have one question. Are we going to have a separate thread to post our questions to the committee or do we have to PM them to one of them?

Casey

There should be some kind of shill amnesty program where a shill can voluntarily request excision without any repercusions.

I know Mr. Positive would probably go along with it.

Only playing Devil's advocate, but how will putting a phone number in stop shills. I could google a number and then take the person's name, address and phone number and create an account. Unless some CGC employee is going to call and check; wouldn't you still get shills? Just wondering.

This doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory....I'm sure CGC will check up on the committee, just like in the hiring process....time a physical and background check.

Congrats to those that made the cut....make it work guys. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Anfield, congrats on your 6 votes...... acclaim.gif

That's 6 more than me. sorry.gif

First of all, I've been around long enough to know that this looks like an excellent committee that I expect to add value to the hobby. Congratulations to all involved.

The first question I want to put to the committee (and the boards) is that CGC wants to make it mandatory that board members provide us their real names with proof (tel # ?) and that the names are posted in their bio. They can still use board names when posting, but we have too many shills, some just for the reason of bashing competitors and other board members. I would like to know what the committee members think. We feel that if you can honestly make posts about another member or a dealer, you have no need to hide who you are. Most of you state your real name already, so I don't see it as a big deal.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I consider anonymous free speech a pretty important thing, although obviously this is a private board and its owners are free to require whatever they wish for the privilege of posting.

I'm not personally trying to hide anything, as I've been a pretty non-controversial guy, and some of you know at least my name and address already as I've bought and sold comics here occasionally.

On principle, I do feel that people ought to be as anonymous as they want to be, unless they abuse that privilege somehow. Also, I've seen a lot of tempers flare and very nasty intimations exchanged, and would hate for that ever to come to an unpleasant situation happen because someone has a fairly common name which is easy to Google and look up someone's address...

You'll do as you think best, but you asked for opinions and I guess that's mine. Cheers.

I'm in support of full disclosure in terms of who is posting what, up to and including the use of your real name as your forum ID if needed.

Jim Metzendorf

I'll second that.

Feix Lu

Me too.

Javier Manacuzio Luciano Teremendez III

Nice choice of members, Steve...

One suggestion I have is that the team here has a tenure, which would allow others to prove their participation/value and potentially serve in the future. We may also need to work out details in the event that a member needs to be excused for personal or other reasons.

Your first idea about cleaning up the shills is a no brainer. I look forward to better interaction with my favorite comic certification company to the community.

The first question I want to put to the committee (and the boards) is that CGC wants to make it mandatory that board members provide us their real names with proof (tel # ?) and that the names are posted in their bio.

I'd actually be for this, assuming it's not just a method of getting rid of current shills, and will be applied to EVERYONE going forward.

As in Sam Spam comes on here and registers for an account hoping to promote his OT products or services, and is NOT allowed to post until his personal info has been confirmed. No posting until it's confirmed, no leeway, etc.

If that's the way it's going to be, then count me in. Otherwise.. screwy.gif