• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Giant Comics Edition #15

13 posts in this topic

May I ask whether the "flattening" of a squarebound cover would impact grading? Any insights from other "flat" squarebounds that have been CGC-graded?

Thanks,

GE

I'm not sure what you mean by "flattening?"

There are word on the spine (like a book) that in perfect condition would not be visible from the front cover. On this book, the spine has "flattened" to a curve (making the words visible) so it's now like most comic books.

At least, this is what I think I'm seeing...

GE

I can think of two possibilities. One is that there is just a bit of a miswrap so some of the spine shows on the front cover. The other is that there is a spine roll. A spine roll should be evident by looking at the back cover. I would treat spine roll in a giant the same as in a standard book...

Awesome book! *loves squarebounds*

gossip.gif next time scan it out of the bag and let us see the back.

As far as the flattening that you refer to the flattening is considered a defect on a squarebound but it's not a HUGE defect. As long as the cover has not seperated from the pages where they are glued then it is usually fine.

That type of defect on these could potentially bring the book down a whole point in some cases, especially in the higher grades. In the lower grades I wouldn't worry about it.

Us squarebound collectors know what we have gotten into with these and most of us will accept fine or better on them, even on the bronze ones!

I'd say this is right around the 6.5 mark.

Thanks for sharing!