• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Congratulations, GREGGY!!!

66 posts in this topic

...for being the Main Event in today's Scoop:

Greg Loey: 100-Page Super Spectacular

Way to go, Greg! thumbsup2.gif

Text of article:

Greg Loey: 100-Page Super Spectacular

The Main Event, Scoop, Friday, November 10, 2006

Greg Loey is a modest Canadian collector whose encyclopedic knowledge of the industry rivals many hardcore collectors in the hobby today. Throughout his youth and young adult life, he has amassed an amazing collection of comics, focusing on high grade Bronze Age DC 100-Page Giant, of which he has one of the best collections known in the hobby. The collection has gained recognition and garnered him a CGC Forum Award for having one of the best Bronze Age sets.

We here at Scoop recently has the opportunity to talk with Loey about his collection, his exposure to comics and ultimately his passion within the industry. We also we lucky enough to have him tell his story in his own words for our readers. So, without further ado, here is Greg Loey's story...

I was born August 5, 1967 in Hong Kong., but grew up in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after immigrating there with my family in March of 1972. I've lived there ever since and that is where I was first exposed to comic books.

Early on in my exposure to comics, I recall asking my dad for change (as comics were only 20¢ at the time) to purchasing some from a corner grocery store in 1973, but I didn't really start to amass any sort of a collection until around the late-'70s. I'm not sure if I actually purchased the comic, but I recall looking at a Jack Kirby splash from Demon #3 when it first came out. I may or may not have purchased it. Otherwise, I don't recall any specific comic that I can identify as my first comic.

I probably didn't consider myself a “collector” until my second go around in the late-'80s and early-'90s. I just bought whatever seemed to be available when I was younger, but I recall buying mainly DC's off the stands as my early favorites. I was very fond of the DC treasuries when they were on the stands in the mid-'70s. I recall buying ratty copies of Chamber of Chills #1, House of Mystery #189, and Phantom Stranger #15. Those books were so highly memorable to me that I've made the effort to reacquire them in higher grade.

During the 1970s, since collecting was not the main thought on my mind, I don't think that I was really that organized or but mainly on the reading part. It wasn't until my return to comics in the late-'80s, after a long hiatus, that I began to collect in an organized manner.

All my collecting habits stem from my love and collecting of comics. Although I am not collecting comics actively now, I do like to collect items relating to the comic characters from the 1970s. For example, I do like collecting stickers, binders, cups and various items as long at it relates to comic characters. For me, it was a natural progression from my comic collecting. Although I was not able to obtain a lot of the non-comic items when I was younger, I do remember them from the various ads from the comics that I owned. Therefore, I feel very nostalgic regarding these items when I do acquire them.

Although comic collecting has become a passion of mine over the years, I would say that my family was relatively indifferent to the entire thing. When I was buying comics to read in the 1970s, it was just what kids did at the time, but when I started buying comics as a collector, that kind of changed. Even today, some family members still wonder why I buy so many comics. The only other person in my family that collects anything is my sister, who collects Swarovski crystal figurines, but his appears to have been a recent endeavor by her.

From 1982 to 1989 I had a long hiatus when I did not buy any comic books.

I remember buying the Contest of Champions mini-series in 1982 and stopped due to a lack of interest, lack of money, and school. I started getting involved in comics again in 1989 due to the hype of the first Batman movie. I initially started buying the “hot” books at the time, which were the McFarlane Spider-Man books. However, in or around 1991, I decided to focus on the books from the 1970s. These were the books I grew up on and the era I can remember buy because of the stories.

Early on, I would be just happy to get any comic book. Now, I'm mainly excited about getting the harder to find books in nice condition. I would say that generally, the excitement is more nowadays, as I'm more persistent than I ever was when I was younger.

My main collections consist of DC's from the 1968 to the mid 1970s range. However, the books that I'm most proud of collecting and most known for in the community are my CGC run of DC 100 Page Giants. What's amazing that this run consists of books that I never really bought off the stand, but did recall seeing them when I was younger. I also enjoy collecting more obscure genres books such as Romance, Humor, and Westerns from both DC and Marvel.

Some of the prizes from my collection include my: DC 100-Page Super Spectacular #4, CGC certified 9.4; Adventure Comics #416, CGC certified 9.8; Batman #238, CGC certified 9.2; Superman #245, CGC certified 9.4; Super DC Giant #21, CGC certified 9.4; House of Secrets #88, CGC certified 9.4; Chamber of Chills #1, CGC certified 9.6; and Tower of Shadows #1, CGC certified 9.8.

As a collector, I've discovered that the main difference between the Canadian and U.S. market is the availability of books available for purchase. Although Vancouver is the 3rd largest city in Canada, we do not have any large conventions so most of my purchases are done online or in the US. I've been able to purchase large quantities of books that I needed through my numerous trips to the various US conventions. I am amazed about the availability of books at the U.S. conventions versus the few Canadian ones that I've attended.

Of the current books in my collection, I would say that the Superman #245 CGC 9.4 was one of the hardest books to obtain. The black wraparound cover is prone to showing defects. I was fortunate to win my copy off eBay when the Don Rosa collection was auctioned off.

If I could own any one comic item I would love to own a copy of Action Comics #1.

Currently, I have shifted my focus of collecting away from my core DC collection to collecting obscure Marvels from the Bronze Age. I'm focusing on the Westerns at this time. I don't have any stories about the one that got away. However, given 20/20 hindsight, I do regret not buying more nice Marvels when they were available at a reasonable price in the early 1990s. Although I really don't regret selling any books, there were some books that I sold on eBay in the late-'90s which I wished I had back, as they were really nice books. One particular book that I recall selling was an extremely nice Iron Man #55.

For me, the most rewarding part of comics and collecting is making contacts and meeting other collectors. Through the CGC boards, I have made quite a few contacts and have even been fortunate enough to meet a number of them at various U.S. conventions.

In closing, the one piece of advice I could give to people looking to collect, is to collect what makes you happy instead of following a trend.

I was born August 5, 1967 in Hong Kong., but grew up in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada after immigrating there with my family in March of 1972.

Translation: Greggy was expelled as an undesirable. poke2.gif

Nice story.

There's nothing like those 100 pagers! cloud9.gif

I couldn't read anymore past the first sentence:

"Greg Loey is a modest Canadian collector..."

j/k grin.gif

Nice article, Greggy! Next time make sure and tell them about how you are a big Red Wing fan and love to collect used hockey equipment just to sniff the pads... insane.gifpoke2.gif

The background of greggy's pic looks like the premiere comicshop in BC: Golden Age Collectables in downtown Vancouver. He must have snuck behind the glass display case while the big boss was out having lunch ... devil.gif
I asked for permission, you dumbazz makepoint.gif