• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why I Love CGC ! How about you ?

32 posts in this topic

It is very troubling for me to hear and see so much CGC bashing....I think they are great! acclaim.gif I have been in the hobby since 1992 ( pre-CGC ), and remember how tough it was to buy and sell in the pre-CGC era.

Here are my top 5 reasons I am a huge CGC fan...let's all give them credit yay.gif, and post your POSITIVE reasons as well!

1. FINALLY...the question can be answered "how do you know it's not restored?"

2. Those holders sure beat messing with tape and backing boards!

3. "I don't care what you think, if CGC says it's an 8.0, then it's an 8.0!"

4. hey, I used to get $800 for this book, now I get $1,800 !!!

5. I really didn't feel like starting my own National grading Co.-- glad they beat me to it! crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

It is very troubling to me to hear and see so much CGC bashing....I think they are great! I have been in the hobby since 1992 ( pre-CGC ), and remember how tough it was to buy and sell in the pre-CGC era.

Here are my top 5 reasons I am a huge CGC fan...let's all give them credit, and post your POSITIVE reasons as well!

2. Those holders should beat messing with tape and backing boards!

5. I really didn't feel like starting my own National grading Co.-- glad they beat me to it!

1. and 3. are debatable, 4. is IMO a negative. I generally prefer Mylars and backing boards that don't require tape anyway (although the CGC cases are fine)

And as for 5, whatever. tongue.gif

The main positive for me is that they (for the most part) take the guess work out of determining what the grade of a book is when buying on the Internet. That's my main if not only venue for purchasing and my confidence goes up (as does my price) when purchasing a book that is certified. This positive is sometimes negated by doing business dealers/sellers who grade very accurately and have a no hassle refund policy.

That being said, I did leave an escape clause because:

[*]The inner well can cause damage to the book (SCS).

[*]The difference in grading indicates that I will take my own assessment into consideration before purchasing (buy the book, not the label).

CGC had the foresight to set up this forum that is beautifully designed so that u may view & participate in any specific comic genre u are most interested in (e.g. original art, buy/sell, GA, babe test) rather than be spammed daily by countless unwanted thread emails. CGC continually draws collectors to their site daily to debate the merits of comicdom. angel.gif

I agree, CGC has added to the hobby overall. They have exposed many restored books that had been passed off as unrestored by less than honorable dealers and dealer that were just unaware. It also gives you a liitle more confidence when buying through the mail/internet. I also agree that CGC's grading standard does not match mine so good scans even though CGC graded go a long way. Also, these message boards have been great for meeting other collectors. On the negative side is CGCs unwillingness to provide some generic info on their grading standard. I mean after so many years in business and we just learn they don't consider disassembly restoration just boggles my mind. My hope is that this new group that interfaces with CGC will help bridge some of gap.

Here are my top 5 reasons I am a huge CGC fan...let's all give them credit yay.gif, and post your POSITIVE reasons as well!

2. Those holders sure beat messing with tape and backing boards!

5. I really didn't feel like starting my own National grading Co.-- glad they beat me to it! crazy.gif27_laughing.gif

1. The messageboard.

2. FINALLY...the question can be answered "how do you know it's not a counterfeit fake replica comic?"

3. FINALLY...paper that dared to ever move gets the azzthrashin' it deserves. Flat's where it's at!

Now clap your hands and sing the Happy Song w'me! Rattle the rafters!!!!

headbang.gifyay.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gifheadbang.gif

(tune of camptown races)

Off the rack? Well smash 'em flat

Doo-dah! Doo-dah!

Perfect comics are where it's at

Oh, doo-dah-day!

If I don't tell then they won't know

Doo-dah! Doo-dah!

I'll go back home with a pocket full of dough

Oh, doo-dah-day!

Gonna press all niiiiight, gonna press all day

I bet my money on dented mags

reworked to sell on eBay.

yay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

stooges.gif

blush.gif

boo.gif

... I mean after so many years in business and we just learn they don't consider disassembly restoration just boggles my mind. My hope is that this new group that interfaces with CGC will help bridge some of gap.
I can't fathom how disassembly and reassembly is not restoration either so I agree that CGC should have articulated this position long ago. With that said, CGC is better for the hobby than nothing at all.

CGC has been a positive force! Just these boards alone which they created have made the hobby better for me! I feel very confident i will be happy when i buy a CGC graded book and if I decide to sell the book at a later date i won't lose big!

CGC has been a positive force! Just these boards alone which they created have made the hobby better for me! I feel very confident i will be happy when i buy a CGC graded book and if I decide to sell the book at a later date i won't lose big!

depends what book are you buying now. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I agree though that CGC is thumbsup2.gif

1. I've learned so much from these boards. I'm glad CGC took the time to establish them.

2. CGC graded books have taught many how to re-evaluate what grade their books are when selling online (aka book with spine dings are NOT nm after all foreheadslap.gif)

3. Restoration checks

4. Spotting counterfeits.

5. Solid product most of the time.