• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3rd PARTY GRADING - What is the next big collectibles category in the future?

114 posts in this topic

Add in the fact that a lot of these games have emulators (MAME etc) out too...I know "it's not the real thing"...it's like saying reading comics online instead of in print.

So, collecting for the condition is one thing, collecting for the enjoyment is another.

I guess its not that different than collecting vintage store 'money' which I know US paper money collectors do collect.... but wow, canadian tire money. To me that's like collecting costco napkins or something. To each his own, but wow... tonofbricks.gif

Add in the fact that a lot of these games have emulators (MAME etc) out too...I know "it's not the real thing"...it's like saying reading comics online instead of in print.

So, collecting for the condition is one thing, collecting for the enjoyment is another.

Oh yeah, absolutely. And to my mind that's why cartridges/disks etc will be pretty much worthless over time except for really rare items. Whether people still collect the tangible items out of nostalgia is the burning question, I guess. juggle.gif

I guess its not that different than collecting vintage store 'money' which I know US paper money collectors do collect.... but wow, canadian tire money. To me that's like collecting costco napkins or something. To each his own, but wow... tonofbricks.gif

I'm damaging my CT money I give it to my son he plays store with it. cloud9.gif

But I guess people will collect anything How about Zippo lighters over a $1500 for the original lighters issued to soliders in WW2. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And to my mind that's why cartridges/disks etc will be pretty much worthless over time except for really rare items.

I think this will apply to comics eventually too. I hope not (trust me, I'm vested), but I'm not holding my breath. One thing that may keep it afloat is the continuing merchandising of main characters (for those into superheroes).

how do you see it applying to comics? Online scans & reprints?

For the rarer material at least I don't think it will matter though. That cheetahmen2 I quote above at $500 is completely unplayable and incredibly bad from what I understand. Similarly, no one's paying $200k for action1 because they want to read the supes story THAT badly. That's where your point about some people collecting to "play" or "read" and some people collecting out of "40 year old virgin" issues comes into play. I see "play/read" value as being easy to erode but 40 year old virgins have been around forever insane.gif

electro:

as you know, there's a lot of worthless overproduced games out there from 75- present just like there are a lot of worthless overproduced comics from 75-present. For something to get decent money it has to either be rare or be in outstanding condition. That's the way it should be.

carcrawford:

I think the healthiest part of the nes market right now is stuff that's rare by production (as opposed to rare by condition, which doesn't get the premium it should IMO). If you look back at that kind of stuff, there's a whole whack of items that do very nicely now that could be bought much cheaper three/four years ago:

- a gold nwc used to be 3 or 4K, now over 10

- a grey nwc used to be 1k, now 3ish

- a complete myriad used to be like $100-200, closing in on $1000 now

- a cheetahmen 2 used to be $100, $500 these days

When you step back and think about it, those are pretty damn nice gains. I could give many more examples.

Similarly any popular sealed snes game gets 2-3x what it did four years ago when I started collecting. That's pretty damn good also. I don't collect atari but what I've heard elsewhere is that rare games completes w/box and manual have gone up over the past five years while the loose carts have gone down (I expect that trend to continue and magnify). Examples I've been quoted are chase the chuckwagon being worth half loose what it used to be, but twice complete what it used to be.

There's also areas that have done poorly over that same time span, with certain "non-franchise" rare or semi-rare sealed nes being one of those areas as many former completists are not actively collecting the last year or so, but on the whole I think the market for quality material appears to be developing well. Even the common but popular "franchise" titles are doing very well - six years ago my buddy a sealed super mario on ebay for $3, they are a good couple hun now. The whole market needs to continue to develop for quite a while yet before slabbing is even thinkable though.

I do see a large amount of price resistance over about $500 though. It'll be interesting to watch and see if that barrier gets pushed up over time.

I am not saying I disagree with you! All I can say is that overall most classic video games don't hold their value! I built a very profitable business on collecting and selling games, and believe me I truly love the classics. But if your buying a lot of common NES dreck, don't expect a massive return on your investment. I remember when collectors where paying a small fortune for TurboGrafx-16 games! Now you can get those same games for a fraction of the cost with few exceptions (i.e. Bonk 3, Magical Chase, etc.).

Sega Genesis games have been a very slow seller for me and most dealers. I am no longer actively buying them. Same with Atari Jaguar games. If you want to get more info on the subject check out Digital Press. They even publish a great price guide! It's quite ironic that we are having this discussion on these boards, because I have been to many classic video game conventions, but I have never attended a comic book convention! Go figure!

I agree with Buffyfan, the next big thing (in the next 5 years), will be albums and 45's.

Jay

I think all rock music collectibles are in for a HUGE nosedive when the current batch of fans dies off. Do you really think the rap music generation is going to start collecting Elvis and The Beatles, not to mention all the other minor acts being collected like the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Who is going to support the current prices of rock music stuff when the current owners start dying or selling off their collections to move into old age homes?

Who buys Golden Age comic books? Why are these books going up in value? Do you think we hear less about today about Elvis than we do Batman?

Rock and Roll collectables will continue to be a viable market long after we're dead (I'm 33). I'm not saying I'd spend $1000 on a rare album as I would a comic book, but I bet alot of people thought Gareb Shamus and his brother were pretty stupid for starting a grading company for toys (snicker sniker) that mainly are only in the 25 year old range--who's laughing now?

Jay

...but I bet alot of people thought Gareb Shamus and his brother were pretty stupid for starting a grading company for toys (snicker sniker) that mainly are only in the 25 year old range--who's laughing now?

Jay

Um....He started Wizard, not Action Figure Authority.

stooges.gif

Gareb's brother started AFA (with how much help from Gareb is unknown), and it is widely speculated in the toy market that Gareb has great influence over the business ( with his other publication Toyfare).

Jay

I agree with Buffyfan, the next big thing (in the next 5 years), will be albums and 45's.

Jay

I think all rock music collectibles are in for a HUGE nosedive when the current batch of fans dies off. Do you really think the rap music generation is going to start collecting Elvis and The Beatles, not to mention all the other minor acts being collected like the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Who is going to support the current prices of rock music stuff when the current owners start dying or selling off their collections to move into old age homes?

You're joking, right? The rock genre is alive and well and always will be. Therefore, rock memorabilia, including vinyls will continue to be in demand and gradually command higher and higher prices.