• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Golden Age (1933-38) - The Birth of the Modern Comic Book

233 posts in this topic

yes.....1933 was a VERY key year for the developement of the modern comic book as we know it today.......

The great depression caused the price of comics to drop from 25 cents to 10 cents, and they split off into 2 different formats....comic magazines and Big Little Books. Pictured here are the keys from this evolution

1724784-1933.jpg

The Big Little Book pictured was in this weeks Scoop....in case you did not see it and it intrigues you:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=14860&si=121

PS....try finding these puppies at your LCS!

Steve

hail.gifhail.gif

Very nice Steve thumbsup2.gif

Thanks...and a belated welcome to the Boards! hi.gif

The 3 HUMOR books that you see here were sold last week for $18,000 to one of the Countires top Platinum Age collectors.(private sale). The only other known set is in the Geppi Musuem.

The Mickey Mouse BLB will be buried with me when the time comes wink.gif

Steve

yes.....1933 was a VERY key year for the developement of the modern comic book as we know it today.......

The great depression caused the price of comics to drop from 25 cents to 10 cents, and they split off into 2 different formats....comic magazines and Big Little Books. Pictured here are the keys from this evolution

1724784-1933.jpg

The Big Little Book pictured was in this weeks Scoop....in case you did not see it and it intrigues you:

Steve

hail.gifhail.gif

Very nice Steve thumbsup2.gif

Thanks...and a belated welcome to the Boards! hi.gif

The 3 HUMOR books that you see here were sold last week for $18,000 to one of the Countires top Platinum Age collectors.(private sale). The only other known set is in the Geppi Musuem.

The Mickey Mouse BLB will be buried with me when the time comes wink.gif

Steve

Well thank you for the warm welcome!

Thats a pretty lucky guy.....those are some awesome key books....the condition on that Bob Scully is insane...any resto?

I love the Mickey BLB as well 893applaud-thumb.gif!

While I'm at it, here's a few more Tarzan Tip Tops that I've picked up over the last few months that I haven't posted. It's run I'd like to complete eventually, but I'm not in a real hurry and not being too picky about condition - they're just fun books.

TipTop027fcsm.jpg

TipTop030fcsm.jpg

TipTop052gdvgsm.jpg

Man, Tarzan was a to animals!

WOW...comic related collectibles must be hot!

For the 1st time ( for me ), I have found a fake Big Little Book auction (tsk) . Usually the bait is an Action 1...this time it's the very rare 'Mickey Mouse Mail Pilot #731'-- 1933. The image used for this auction is from Arnold Blumberg's Big Big Little Book Book, and is owned by Steve Geppi ---the copy is on display at the Geppi Museum. There was some digital coloring in of worn spots, to make the book look superior/different than the catalgoued copy, but you have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool me......and I get up early as it is!

Doesn't seem like a very good idea to risk a Federal Mail fraud conviction / sentence for a $5,000 scam....at least with Action 1, the take is much larger!

To add to the red flags, this is a 3 day auction ( fake auctions are almost ALWAYS 3 day auctions...you get your money quicker that way. On a real auction, you would never list for just 3 days....not enough exposure/time on the market ), and the seller ( less than perfect feedback of course ) has never sold an item before. Guess he wanted Christmas to come early this year at his house.

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130150245523

1724784-1933.jpg

Steve

This auction for the Mail Pilot book seems somewhat suspect to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mickey-Mouse-Mail-Pilot-Big-Little-Book-731_W0QQitemZ130150245523QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

mailpilot1.jpg

mailpilot2.jpg

This auction for the Mail Pilot book seems somewhat suspect to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mickey-Mouse-Mail-Pilot-Big-Little-Book-731_W0QQitemZ130150245523QQihZ003QQcategoryZ1388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

good eye TB...I have already notified the high bidder ( auction ended last night )--this is Steve Geppi's copy, and the image the seller used is from Arnold Blumberg's ( a fellow Boardie ) book entitled 'The Big Big Little Book Book'. The 'real' copy is in the Geppi Museum, and was one the shot for the book. I proudly own the only other known copy.

Steve

General list of frequently appearing features for Eastern Color, Dell, and United Features at this time:

Famous Funnies (Eastern Color) - Napoleon, Joe Palooka, The Bungle Family, Hairbreadth Harry, Little Brother, Dixie Dugan, Nipper, Magic Made Easy, High Lights of History, Somebody's Stenog, Good Deed Dotty, The Nebbs, Strange As It Seems, Connie, High-Gear Homer, The Wet Blanket, The Back-Seat Driver, Simp O'Dill, The Frog Pond Ferry, Footprints on the Sands of Time, Butty and Fatty, Buck Rogers, Funland, Fisher's History of Boxing, Olly of the Movies, Lena Pry, Jane Arden, Honeybunch's Hubby, Goofie Gags, S'matter Pop?, Vignettes of Life, Screen Oddities, Mescal Ike, Keeping Up With the Joneses, Holly of Hollywood

Popular Comics (Dell) - Skippy, Always Belittlin', Believe It Or Not, Moon Mullins, Kitty Higgins, Harold Teen, Smitty, Jinglet, Herby, Gasoline Alley, On the Range, DickTracy, Bronc Peeler and Coyote, Pete, Reg'lar Fellers, Nugent's Originals, Daisybelle, Terry and the Pirates, Smilin' Jack, Little Orphan Annie, The Gumps, Real Magic, Mutt and Jeff, Little Joe, Ben Webster's Page, Tippie, Mort Green & Wife, Maw Green, Little Folks, Zipper, Sweeney & Son, Smokey (Stover), Lovey Dovey, Let's Draw Cartoons, A Strain on the Family Tie

Tip Top Comics (United Features) - Tarzan, Li'l Abner, Ella Cinders, Freddie and Fritz, Chris Crusty, How It Began, Danny Dingle, The Captain and the Kids, Of All Things, Joe Jinks, Hawkshaw the Detective, Grin and Bear It, Dub Dabs, Washable Jones, Phil Fumble, Peter Pat, Percy Penguin, Opportunity Knox, Mr. and Mrs. Beans, Little Mary Mixup, How to Make It, Colonel Wowser, Bumps, Bucky and His Pals, Benny, The Young Idear, Stamp Tips, Looy Dot Dope, Knurl the Gnome, How to Draw Comics, Frankie Doodle, Cynical Susie, Broncho Bill, Billy Make Believe, Back Home Again, All in the Family, Alice in Wonderland, Tippety-Top, The Boomers, Make Your Own Movies, Join the Tip Top Cartoonist Club, Home Towners, Fussy Foursome, Fritzi Ritz, For Junior Readers

Edited by Electricmastro