• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Formerly Known As The Justice League and other new team books

14 posts in this topic

I liked issue #1 of "Formerly Known As The Justice League". smile.gif It had the humor of Giffen's earlier Justice League, 27_laughing.gif but it also had the standard introduction of every team member. mad.gif The recent "Outsiders" also had this. mad.gif I'm betting the upcoming Teen Titans will also have a page or two introducing each team member. Isn't there a different way to construct an issue #1?! 893frustrated.gif Instead of a issue #1 gem, we get a throwaway issue. mad.gif893frustrated.gif

I really enjoyed this book, but then again I loved the original Giffen/Maguire Justice League.

I hear that response at DC has been strong (I saw some of Maguire's pencil stats for upcoming issues - awesome work!) and that they've already asked for a second batch of six issues.

Outsiders was OK... definitely looking forward to Teen Titans.

Kev

I really enjoyed this book, but then again I loved the original Giffen/Maguire Justice League.

I hear that response at DC has been strong (I saw some of Maguire's pencil stats for upcoming issues - awesome work!) and that they've already asked for a second batch of six issues.

Outsiders was OK... definitely looking forward to Teen Titans.

Kev

I LOVED the original, and I certainly liked this new one, but I'm afraid... I'm afraid they're going to be too punchline-jokey, you know? The original was HILARIOUS because of running jokes (Guy Gardner, oreos, Blue Beetle's weight problem, etc) and not a bunch of two-panel "ba-dum-bum" type gags. I just really hope they back off of those and play up the other. But maybe that's just me? When I was reading it, there were times when I was cracking up and others when I was like, "Oh god, was that supposed to be funny??"

Regardless, I am left wanting more!! VIVA LA FKATJL!

I remember reading the original JL series by Giffen and remember, as one of my favorite memories of reading comics growing up, Batman punching Guy Gardner... I laughed out loud when I read it.

The new series is pretty good... and I too am left wanting more.

I own two pages from the original run, from issues #1 & #8 and they are framed on the wall in my office at home.

From what I saw at Maguire's table in NYC last weekend it looks like there will be plenty of action coming up. L-Ron rules....

I'm just happy to see Captain Atom is returning to his silver look and to active duty in the DCU, even if the book is mostly humorous. The original Cary Bates-Pat Broderick run of CA (1-26?) are still personal favorites of mine.

Kev

After writing my last post I decided to see if any of the original art from #1 was available for sale. As of this afternoon, 9 pages were left unclaimed, so I've reserved 5 pages (2, 3, 4, 15, 21) for myself for a very reasonable price. I get them when the artwork is returned from DC in August.

Kev

After writing my last post I decided to see if any of the original art from #1 was available for sale. As of this afternoon, 9 pages were left unclaimed, so I've reserved 5 pages (2, 3, 4, 15, 21) for myself for a very reasonable price. I get them when the artwork is returned from DC in August.

Kev

Pages from the original #1 from 1987, or from the new series?? Where do you buy or order original art from the series?

And good call on Captain Atom - that was a really good series!

I liked the earlier series from the 80s. Especially the famous Batman cold-clocking Guy Gardner after being a jerk for a year! But try as I might, I just couldnt get into this retread. After the OUTSIDERS, and now this, I really hope the TEEN TITANS first issue isnt the same exact storyline: going around lining up ex-members to rejoin!! (yawn!)