• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've a serious question and seek your advice

48 posts in this topic

My wife once bought me a CGC 9.8 copy of McFarlane's Spider-Man 1 silver variant. She paid too much for it off eBay but it is now one of my favorite comics and I would never part with it because it reminds me of how she was trying to get me something I would love. Your brother was doing the same thing. You are a lucky guy.

I think Scott and Gary are correct, love the comic.. not the value. It was a gift given with good intentions. Let them think it is the cats meow, but educate them asap.

The comic is a keeper on many levels.

Ze-

My wife once bought me a CGC 9.8 copy of McFarlane's Spider-Man 1 silver variant. She paid too much for it off eBay but it is now one of my favorite comics and I would never part with it because it reminds me of how she was trying to get me something I would love. Your brother was doing the same thing. You are a lucky guy.

good advice from JC and WBC you have a cool wife thumbsup2.gif

He did buy it as a Christmas present for me. He got it because he thought I'd like it. Not him.

Personally, I think that's important info that should have been in the original post.

Now you're dealing with a gift, for which you should always smile and thank the person, even if it sucks. No good can come from any other course of action. flowerred.gif

foreheadslap.gif Uh yeah, that was some important info. I agree with JC here. Just accept the book with a smile and keep your mouth shut about the cost/value.

Good idea. It's me whose a *spoon* if I can't accept his gift. He did pay too much but in the long run, does it even matter? I love my bro and won't let a comic affect me. Thanks

thumbsup2.gif

Justin,

Absolutely agree that it is a present worth cherishing and it appears that you are doing that. However, you don't want him to spend money foolishly. Make sure your brother understands both aspects when you tell him that he overpaid for it. Speak the truth in love.

Dan

Justin,

I agree, put it in a mylar and hold on to it.

My mother and father once bought me a Marvel's Greatest Comics reprint issue that was a color variant that was missing the black from the cover. They paid around $20 for it about 25 years ago and at the time, I thought about all the things I could have gotten for that money. Now I wouldn't part with it for 10x that amount, and with the variant collectors that are starting to pursue books like that, it's likely an achievable price some day if I ever did decide to sell. Iron Maniac put it on the STL Boards a while back in his variant display and I've shown it around here a time or two. Stan's not going to be around forever and he probably didn't sign too many of that particular issue.

Kudos to your bro...he really is trying to "get" you.

Keep it. Years from now you will treasure the circumstances that led to your acquiring the book.

In a similar vein, the wife bought me a Flash 123 that I had been jonesing for years about and follows it up with an All Star Western 10 the following year. She's a keeper and so is your brother.

Over the years I've had many family members and friends buy me comics-related gifts and almost every single time it's something I didn't want, didn't need, didn't like or they paid too much for it.

And every single time I've graciously accepted it and gushed over how I liked it and would treasure it.

He's your brother. Tell him you love it.

Exactly thumbsup2.gif

Whenever a board member puts junk freebies with my comics i will get a big red marker and sprawl the word RUBBISH all over the cover and then i will ship it back to them. I don't put any stamps on the package so they have to pay for it when they go and collect it from the post office.

Over the years I've had many family members and friends buy me comics-related gifts and almost every single time it's something I didn't want, didn't need, didn't like or they paid too much for it.

And every single time I've graciously accepted it and gushed over how I liked it and would treasure it.

He's your brother. Tell him you love it.

What are you?

Some kind of *spoon* ing grown-up?

27_laughing.gif

Whenever a board member puts junk freebies with my comics i will get a big red marker and sprawl the word RUBBISH all over the cover and then i will ship it back to them. I don't put any stamps on the package so they have to pay for it when they go and collect it from the post office.

And that is shipping from the UK by the way. Not cheap.

p.s. If anyone wants a run of Dr. Mirage with the word "rubbish" scrawled on the front cover, please send me a pm.

And that is shipping from the UK by the way. Not cheap.

p.s. If anyone wants a run of Dr. Mirage with the word "rubbish" scrawled on the front cover, please send me a pm.

893whatthe.gif

27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893naughty-thumb.gifpoke2.gifscrewy.gif

I am going to send you multiple packages with nothing but junk freebies now.

27_laughing.gif