• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buck Biggins MidOhio Con report

41 posts in this topic

So far it has been awesome. I just got back from preview night and really feel good about the DC gems I scored. Early 70's highgrade DC books at 50% off guide will make anybody feel good. I'm off to bed. A full report will come later with scans.

Hey, you bought that comic from me! Glad you're happy. I'm doing a true 50% off at Mid-Ohio this year. Stop back by at location #210 and introduce yourself. Leroy

hi.gif Leroy, I always like your ad in the price guide. This year we're pagemates, on page 282 and 283.

I like living in CA but am sometimes jealous of you guys who really live where the comics (and the shows) are.

Marc

Hey, you bought that comic from me! Glad you're happy. I'm doing a true 50% off at Mid-Ohio this year. Stop back by at location #210 and introduce yourself. Leroy

I had a great show and will have a long report up later this week with pictures and scans. What made this show so great for me was the nice books I scored in titles and grades I needed. I actually bought 100% of my books from good ol booth #210. In total I bought about 20 books at the show. Most were DC 52 pagers in vf/nm or higher at 50% off guide. Lots of NM- and a few NM copies in the haul.

-Other highlights-

-Feedback from who wants to be Superhero. This guy is a really nice person. I wish him the best. He really went all out to make one child happy.

-Fledstein- Nice guy and I kinda felt bad for him from a comment that he made to me. More on that later.

-Toon Tumblers- This Hulk Tumbler for the MidOhioCon rocks!

-Meeting Pirate and the Dude. Good Guys allround. Thanks for taking pictures.

-Meeting "Larry" and "Janet from Threes Company.

-Preview night was worth the extra trip

-Adam Hughes Signature series. Thanks Pirate.

-Not so Highlight-

-Harley forgetting to bring the book I was going to pick up.

-Not leaving the show on time and taking a wrong turn on the way home.

-Finding 2 Sensation Comics past issue 80. Too bad I already had them though.

-Not finding the Hall on Preview night and the workers denied there was a convention.

Hey Buck, sorry I missed you. Looks like you scored some great books. Check my thread for some of the books I found. Had a great dinner with Pirate and TheDude. Also, Pirate hooked me up with some great signature series by Ayers, Friedrich and Feldstein. Will report more later, seeing as how I'll be back at the Con tomorrow...and hopefully come back with a great copy of Terry-Toons #1..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey Buck, sorry I missed you. Looks like you scored some great books. Check my thread for some of the books I found. Had a great dinner with Pirate and TheDude. Also, Pirate hooked me up with some great signature series by Ayers, Friedrich and Feldstein. Will report more later, seeing as how I'll be back at the Con tomorrow...and hopefully come back with a great copy of Terry-Toons #1..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I even got a 'shout out' at the dinner over the phone cloud9.gifheadbang.gif

Okay here is my official con report.

Overall I had a great time. Next year my wife and I are going to get a hotel room so I can do the whole weekend.

I left my house 4:00pm Friday to attend the con preview and scope out the new facilities before the con officially started. The VIP pass I purchased allowed you to attend the preview which was a nice perk. The ride up I-71 north was easy. However, I did get lost in downtown Columbus and finally had to stop for directions. I finally arrived at the convention at 6:30pm. Once inside I asked the security guard where the comic convention hall was located. He tells me that the only convention is the Abraham to Jesus exhibit.893whatthe.gif I then hand him the brochure and he gets another guard to look it over. They both tell me that they were unaware of such a convention but the hall it would be in is located at the opposite side of the building. confused.gif After a very long walk I finally get to the convention preview with little over an hour to spare.

The preview last for 2 hours so I already lost some time. I then scan the place and walk around to the various dealers setting up and ask them if they have any Sensation Comics above issue 80. No luck. Beerborn had a Good copy of Sensation Comics 105 but I already have that one. He also had a few golden-age Archie books in midgrade but I wanted to think it over and I eventually decided not to pick them up.

I then run into Harley. He tells me that he forgot to bring the book that I was going to pick up from him at the show. frown.gif That was a bummer as I look forward to getting it all week. Oh well. He then tells me that he’ll ship it out right away once he gets back home. Harley didn’t set up at the show but was there buying.

I visit a few more booths and see the Toon Tumblers display going up. Let me tell you folks, the Hulk Mid-Ohio tumbler is sweet. We chat for a few minutes (nice guy) and I tell him how much I like his product. I also tell him that the Toon Tumbler makes for a really nice convention Souvenir. I’m sure other fans feel the same way.

I then walk around a little more and I see the booths for the guest appearances and artist. Now I don’t have to look for them tomorrow which is nice. By the way, the new facility is quite large and it had very wide aisles. I found it easy to get around. Much better than last years New York Comic Con. That was shoulder to shoulder all day.

I then run into Graham Cracker booth. I saw a few books I liked and write them down on my notepad for a repeat viewing latter. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I then stumbled upon Leroys Comics. His booth seemed to have a lot of action going on when I arrived. Several people already had impressive stacks of comics and were digging for more. I look around and he had several boxes of silver and bronze books at 5 for $20. In these boxes were mainstream titles in decent grades. He then approaches me and tells me that he is having a true 50% off sale. To get the 50% you have to spend a total of $50 or more. So if you bought a $25 book you might as well buy another one because it was like getting it for free. I ask him how the sales have been and he tells me that today was already a huge day for him. From what I was seeing it sure looked like it. At that time, he points me to the boxes outlining his booth. Tells me that they have never been discounted and he hasn’t taken them to a show since early summer. I start digging away and I hit a nice run of Adventure Comics 52pagers in what appears to be 9.0 or better. I really love the covers on the Supergirl Adventure Comics run in the late 60's and early 70’s. cloud9.gif

I ask again are these 50% off. He explains to me that as long as I spend a total sticker price of $50 or more the total order receives a 50% off discount. He then pulls out the guide to show me that the prices are not inflated. I pull the Adventure Comics 419 out of the bag for closer examination. Looks like a very glossy NM- and we look up the guide on NM-. Sure enough it was priced right at guide which was $35. No inflated prices masked with discounts to bring them back down to guide!

In the end I grabbed a total of 9 books. I tell him that I may be back tomorrow and that I already blew the budget that I was trying to adhere to.893whatthe.gif Guess I’ll be listing more books on ebay this week. One last thing, he was a really nice guy around. Needs to be more dealers like him at the shows.

Then the speaker comes on to announce the close of preview night. frown.gif I then head back to the Toon Tumblers to get the glasses so I don’t have to carry them around tomorrow. In the hotel lobby I show him the books I scored and I see his nice Archies pickups. We chat a little and I head back home down I-71.

I felt good on the ride home.yay.gif I picked up some nice books at affordable prices; the Tumblers were cool and I now know my way around for the next day. I also called Pirate and the Dude on the way home to finalized details for tomorrow.

Here are the books I picked up on preview night….

You already saw this one. Really GLOSSY.9.2cool.gif

SPWS153.jpg

A lovely 9.4.

SSWS163.jpg

I just love the monster covers.A lime green Frankenstein running around in the old west. Sweet! smile.gif These later issues of Tomahawk are very tough to find above VF. This copy is a VF+.

Tomahawk103.jpg

Tomahawk 117 as most people know is a very tough book to find in grade. The book sports a wonderful Neal Adams cover. This copy has several very sharp corners and a really GLOSSYclean cover. If it wasn't for the bottom cover pulled from the staple, the few spine stresses and tiny tear at top it would be an easy 8.5/9.0. I give it a 6.5. Not bad for $7.50.

Tomahawk117.jpg

Another Glossy 9.4. I always digged the Supergirl costume from this era.cloud9.gif

Adventure417.jpg

Adventure419-1.jpg

I love the perspective on this cover. It is a 9.6 if not for the printing punches at bottom. They don't bother me though.

Adventure420.jpg

More DC 52 pagers. headbang.gif A nice 9.2.

DetectiveComics421.jpg

This sucker has so much gloss it feels like it could slip out of your hands. A nice 9.2/9.4 copy. cool.gif

FTDM15.jpg

Here is an image of the Hulk Con tumbler.

Saturday will be up latter later in the week.

To prevent starting another thread about the same event I'll post my report here.

I didn't attend the preview night, only attended Saturday and Sunday during regular hours. Seeing as how I live only 18 miles from the event, and work literally right across the street from it, I had all the time in the world to visit every booth.

I arrived at 9am on Saturday, only to wait in a short line to enter the convention hall. While waiting I got to see some interesting characters dressed in Star Wars uniforms (mostly Storm Troopers). From what I've been told, these individuals are part of a group the 501st something or other. They are a group dedicated to dressing up as Star Wars characters, made for an interesting introduction to the whole Con experience (this was my first one).

After shelling out $20 to enter the event I head straight for the Toon Tumblers booth where I was to meet Pirate and TheDude. Pirate was going to witness some of my books being signed by Ayers, Friedrich, Trimpe and Feldstein. But alas, they weren't there just missed them by a few minutes. So I wondered around until they showed back up.

I hit the dealers' $1 bins, because I was told I might find some good deals there. Didn't find anything that I was interested in, in any $1 bin. Found a Superboy 100 and a Our Army at War book in the $5 bins though. Forgetting the cheap bins, I was going to every dealer asking them about Paratrooper cover books, I'm sure most of them think I am now crazy.

The first dealer I went to based on the recommendation from The fine fellow selling the The Tumblers was John Haines' booth. Very helpful and great guy to talk to. He had a bunch of the books I was looking for, some nice wings books. However, they were all priced at $100+. Not wanting to blow my load at the first booth I went to I left and stopped next at Graham Crackers booth (which was right next to Haines).

I asked Graham Crackers' dealer about books featuring Para covers. He had a bunch, all extremely well priced. I bought about 4 books from him, all stickered under guide. On top of the apparent discount, he took another 20% off that. Very happy about my purchase there.

After my large purchase there, I walked back to the Tumblers booth in hopes that Pirate would be there. Nope, he was still walkin' about. So I went to Beerbohms booth. Again, asked him about paratrooper books...after introducing myself as Paratrooper from the CGC boards. Apparently, I'm unknown to him....I think he only reads the Oldbuck thread.......his loss. Anyway, I come to find that he has some great books that fit into my run, some I hadn't identified as belonging in it. Found a FN+ copy of Atom-Age Combat #3 snatched that up quickly. As well as a few other books. He gave me a healthy 10% discount. After the purchases I made from him and Graham Cracker, I had to stop looking or I would have no cash for my Sunday trip.

Back to the Tumblers I went. Pirate was there as well as TheDude. We introduced ourselves and chatted a bit. Come to find out that TheDude is not a hippy, excellent (by reading the boards, TheDude's Avatar and name, I came up with the assumption that he was a hippy) SORRY! TheDude goes off exploring some more while Pirate and I go get some signatures, only to find out that the artists had a press conference or something. So I had to go browse some more......an hour passes and they come back.

My first signature is from Feldstein on my Aces High #3. When I bring out the books for Feldstein to sign he asks me why I want him to sign the book, he was only the editor, and only adapted the story to comic format.....I told him my "fetish" with paratrooper books....I think fed up with my story he signs the book "MAD-ly yours" and shoos me away (nicely though).

We head over to Friedrich's booth to have him sign a couple of my SGT Fury books. Nice fellow, but kind of impersonal. Just signed the books and I left. No story here.

Next is Ayers. Had about 10 books for him to sign. WARNING: When handing books to Ayers don't expect them to come out 9.8's he is very rough with the funny books. He didn't look so well either. I had him sign a bunch of SGT Fury books (some double signed by Friedrich) a Creatures on The Loose #10, Chamber of Chills #22 price variant, Avengers #10, FF #20 and some others. He signed 3 free, the rest were $1 each. Which I owe Pirate about $7 for spotting me. After he finished signing, he just ignored me.......didn't look like he had the energy anymore for these conventions. Kinda felt bad for making him sign so many books.

Trimpe was to sign my Creatures On The Loose #10 (double sig) but he wasn't there. So Pirate and I went to tally how much it is going to cost for all my books to be CGC SS'd.......ouch. But worth it I think. I may have to resell all but the paratrooper books...it will cost that much.

After leaving Pirate, I went off on my own again. Visited Suydam for a signature on a book. He was busy doing a sketch, so his assistant seeing a potential customer tried to pimp some of Suydam's prints off to me for $20......a non-color print at that. I promised to buy one later...then flaked. Only to find out Suydam is a pretty cool dude, his wife is very nice as well. But that's a Sunday story.

After being that fiasco, I went to talk to Avon Oeming and Bryan Glass. I had a Red Sonja #1 variant I was getting signed. Talked to Glass for a long while, very nice guy. They wrote this book together based on Don Quixote, only set in a modern times and more of a horror type book. They gave me the premise of their interpretation of that classic book and I became intrigued. Then they informed me that their idea was bought by FOX and are in negotiations for it to be turned into a movie. Conversation with Glass lasted probably about an hour, ended up buying the book and will give a review of it once I finish reading it.

Lots of wondering and no buying ensued......6pm rolls by and I hook up with Pirate and TheDude again along with Paul (SilverandBronze). We go out and get something to eat.....long story here, might want Paul to tell it. We talk about business and people on the forum, Jonjesper called and gave a shout out. TheDude brought his Action 48 to show off, very nice book....but should have brought the 43, although he might not have left the restaraunt with it if he did bring it........ Pirate was with his son, Paul was disgusted with the service at the restaraunt and TheDude had a long drive home. So no drinking ensued.....for them. I went to another bar and got hammered.......

I'll post my sunday report later.

Thedude, Paratrooper and Buck,

Nice meeting each of you and I appreciate your interest in the signature series program.

Paul-nice seeing you again and your glasses absolutely ROCK!

Jon- you called more than my wife (and I had our son with me which worried her sick)

I will probably do a report tomorrow as I'm kind of beat and just scanned/digital camera all the great art I bought.

Sounds like it was a great show! I could not make it (apologies to Paratrooper). The drive turned out to be longer than i thought it would have been after i researched it (It's about an 8 hour drive, I was thinking about 5 when i originally planned to go). I concluded that 16 hours in a car AND travelling over the boarder on a holiday long weekend within a 36 hour period would not have been a smart thing to do. It was my lack of planning. I will plan for it next year.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif