• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Cockrum

33 posts in this topic

As I am sure everybody has heard dave cockrum passed away last night. I am deeply saddened by this. Everybody who has a signature series books signed by dave cockrum please post a picture here. I will post mine tomorrow. If any one has a story about meeting Mr. Cockrum please post it here aswell. On another note. Please do not put unneeded comments in this thread. Also If anybody has any bad feelings towards Dave or his work do not post those either this thread is to honor Dave.

I will post a story to get it started. I met dave earlier this year at heroescon. The poorman had a line 10 people long before the doors even opened I was in those first 10. He was taking a small sketchlist of 10. I got to talk to him and his wife. They were both very nice. Even though Paty has poor eyessight she still signs books she worked on. Dave imposed a limit of 10 per person per time and said you could come back as manytimes as you like. Dave talked about his legion of superheroes run and his X-men run. He also talked very fondly of his time on staff with marvel and how he assisted on many covers even ones he wasn't given credit for. He also spoke fondly of John Romita Sr. and had an intersting story about Gil kane saying he was ok then in later years begging him to work with him. This was truly one of the greatest experiences of my life.

I never met him but he used to live fairly local to me. When I was in grade school my friend went to a local con which now no longer exist in my area, and got Dave to sign an X-Men 106 and one other issue. There was an article in the local news paper about him when X2 came out where he discussed making no money from the movies despite creating several of the characters because back then the companies almost always got the rights to new characters. I was hoping to get an Uncanny X-Men book signed by Dave for SS at some point. frown.gif

I never met him but he used to live fairly local to me. When I was in grade school my friend went to a local con which now no longer exist in my area, and got Dave to sign an X-Men 106 and one other issue. There was an article in the local news paper about him when X2 came out where he discussed making no money from the movies despite creating several of the characters because back then the companies almost always got the rights to new characters. I was hoping to get an Uncanny X-Men book signed by Dave for SS at some point. frown.gif
I was thinking about doing the same frown.gif

As I am sure everybody has heard dave cockrum passed away last night. I am deeply saddened by this. Everybody who has a signature series books signed by dave cockrum please post a picture here. I will post mine tomorrow. If any one has a stroy about meeting Mr. Cockrum please post it here aswell. On another note. Please do not put unneeded comments in this thread. Also If anybody has any bad feelings towards Dave or his work do not post those either this thread is to honor Dave.

That is terribly sad news. He was a legend and will be missed. sorry.gif

My condolences however you spell it - I met the bearded man at a Seattle show and he did me a sketch of the Nightcrawler I will post a pic when I resolve scanner issues! Cockrum was awesome and will be missed...

Like I said in Comics General, I was fortunate enough to get to spend the weekend with Dave several years ago. He was a great guy and always willing to geek-out about comic stories.

That weekend he signed almost 100 books for me (all pre-SS). Here are a few...

1504646-GiantSizeXMen_001.jpg

1504646-XMen_094a.jpg

1504646-XMen_094b.jpg

1504646-XMen_095.jpg

These are directly on the slab. These were the first slabbed books he had ever seen.

1504646-XMen_098.jpg

1504646-XMen_099.jpg

1504646-XMen_100.jpg

1504646-XMen_101.jpg

1504646-XMen_101.jpg.096aaa3c44d694bc3a2043093266b990.jpg

This is very sad. Jonjesper called to tell me which bummed me out. Went to tell the guys at the Hero's booth and they were all shocked. Arthur and his wife were at the booth and looked shocked also. Very sad indeed. I have one book with interior sig and this was the way Mr. Cockrum prefered to sign the Futurians GN. I do have the back of one of my heroecon badges signed by Mr. Cockrum and John Cassaday. He did his famous BAMF! signature in my sketchbook also.

futurians.jpg

RIP.