• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic art that you never see that often

26 posts in this topic

i figger this is a good question to ask the group here. what comic book art by an certain artist that you never see. i always wanted to own a mike kaluta frankenstein page.

it was a back story in a dc book called the phantom stranger in the 70.s i don,t think i ever seen a page for sale. it was great stuff. i wonder where they all went confused-smiley-013.gif

larry ;]

I have a page from the Spawn of Frankenstein series. It is the first page so it has the title, but does not have a "splash". No Frankenstein on the page, just the girl and the ogre-like character. I think I bought it at a Chicagocon in the early 1980's.

I've seen a handful for sale. But then it didn't run very long, so there aren't many out there.

gj

ecfanman, thanks its good to know someone has a page. iam pretty sure the series only ran for about 6 or 7 issues and the story,s were only 6 to 8 pages . at the most. still it was a really cool story line.

you say you have a title page one. in the credits did kaluta do pencils and inks. ?

thanks. larry

Miracleman pages. Nuff said.

humm. your right on those. i have not seen any pages come up for sale in a long time. i assume they are held captive in the palms of die hard miracleman collector.s

larry gossip.gif

Art I've hardly ever seen:

• Steve Dillon HELLBLAZER pages - haven't seen a single one in 10 years
  • Preacher Saint Of Killer miniseries pages - I've seen maybe 4-5 pages from these 4 issues. I have yet to purchase one though
  • Preacher T.I.T.S. and OMW one shot pages - I've only seen 3 of the former and one of the latter in 10 years

Can anyone prve me wrong and show me where some of these pages are displayed/for sale?

Mike

ecfanman, thanks its good to know someone has a page. iam pretty sure the series only ran for about 6 or 7 issues and the story,s were only 6 to 8 pages . at the most. still it was a really cool story line.

you say you have a title page one. in the credits did kaluta do pencils and inks. ?

thanks. larry

Numbers 23-25 contain a serialized "solo" Spawn of Frankenstein story as a backup feature. 6 to 8 pages sounds about right. As far as I know these three stories were pencilled and inked by Kaluta. (I would be astonished if they were inked by someone else.) The page I have (from #25) says "art by" M W Kaluta and is done in his "artistic" signature.

Number 26 is a full length Phantom Stranger meets Spawn of Frankenstein. Art on this story is by Jim Aparo, the regular Phantom Stranger artist. However Kaluta drew the cover for that issue only.

I don't remember who did the art after that.

ECFANMAN

ecfanman. thanks on the info. that was some great work by kaluta. i hope one day to own a page. i guess if you wait long enough, everything sooner or later will show up. just hope i can afford it when it does.

larry ;]

Frank Cho strip artwork. There are three pieces of Liberty Meadows that Frank doesn't own, and they all won't be sold.

Bill Watterson artwork. I have always heard that there's one Calvin and Hobbes piece that Watterson gave to a friend, but that's probably it.

Bill Watterson artwork. I have always heard that there's one Calvin and Hobbes piece that Watterson gave to a friend, but that's probably it.

About a year ago, someone on CAF posted a Calvin strip and was immediately bombarded with inquiries and offers and shouts of forgery. The piece was soon removed. Was never clear if it was authentic or not...

And does Cary Nord even sell his CONAN stuff?

Think Cary Nord moved from Vancouver to Toronto, ON 2 months ago. He used to display his Dark Horse Conan prelims which were on std 8.5 x 11 inch bond paper. Delicate, light pencil work -- not worth buying from my perspective. No inked bristol board, as most of his Conan art was completed on computer. juggle.gif