• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spidey #300 9.8 ?

51 posts in this topic

150 books per case.And if he submits them,I get the 11th 9.8 that comes back,but he says he won't slab them.He thinks he can get $250 a book this spring/summer.

Sale took place in early October,but he asked me not to diclose it right away.

Were the cases sealed? Did you ever see the books? He'll probably get $250 apiece for the books and sell most of them in a weekend at that price, but what intrigues me more is what a 9.9 would sell for now (vs. the $3,050 it sold for a year ago, before movie hype).

It sounds like you're happy with the deal you got, and that's what counts. For me, I don't know if I would have been comfortable leaving a lot of money on the table.

On the other hand, the effort involved in selling 300 copies of ASM#300.... Christo_pull_hair.gif Maybe your way was the best way. 27_laughing.gif

My story about Spidey 300...

Back when these came out, I used to buy my comics direct from the Bud Plant and Fantasy Distribution warehouses in the SF Bay Area. I would cherry pick my copies from the middle of the bundle to avoid the dreaded twine marks. Anyhow, I ended up with over 100 copies.

In the ensuing years, I sold/traded off most of the copies until I had about 10 of the best ones (to my eye, anyhow) left.

Last year, I submitted them to CGC. Long story short: I got one 9.8. The rest were 9.6's or 9.4's.

They all looked the same to me which I guess means I can't grade for *spoon*.

And yes, I sold them all already...including the 9.8 for $700.Christo_pull_hair.gif

My story about Spidey 300...

Back when these came out, I used to buy my comics direct from the Bud Plant and Fantasy Distribution warehouses in the SF Bay Area. I would cherry pick my copies from the middle of the bundle to avoid the dreaded twine marks. Anyhow, I ended up with over 100 copies.

In the ensuing years, I sold/traded off most of the copies until I had about 10 of the best ones (to my eye, anyhow) left.

Last year, I submitted them to CGC. Long story short: I got one 9.8. The rest were 9.6's or 9.4's.

They all looked the same to me which I guess means I can't grade for *spoon*.

And yes, I sold them all already...including the 9.8 for $700.Christo_pull_hair.gif

Thanks for sharing your story Nexus. I think about my own cherry-picked "mint" books and stories like yours whenever I read a thread about the hundreds of ungraded 9.8 books that will one day flood the market.

everyone thinks venom is in the next movie. if you watch the preview, it is not really venom. the movie has adapted the black costume as a representation of a dark side of spiderman that emerges as a result of his quest for revenge on uncle bens killer. confused-smiley-013.gif

Am I happy leaving so much money on the table?

I am now,but may regret it later.

The offer came from left field and came at a time when someone was selling an Avengers 1 that I really wanted.

The cases were sealed,but the deal was contingent on them not being water or heat damaged.A quick look showed the outer ones to be in the 9+ range,and the middle ones being better.Surprisingly there were several that had the top crinkled.The page quality was not pearly white.He was happy,I'm happy.If the stock I sunk most of the money in moves like I expect I'll be yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif,otherwise I'll be frustrated.gif

everyone thinks venom is in the next movie. if you watch the preview, it is not really venom. the movie has adapted the black costume as a representation of a dark side of spiderman that emerges as a result of his quest for revenge on uncle bens killer. confused-smiley-013.gif

Are you familiar with the Symbiote alien suit storyline that ran through the Spider-Man titles during the mid to late 80s? it's clear that it is also a part of SM 3 movie. The fact that Eddie Brock is a character in the next film also gives support to my expectations.

remember in SM2 movie. peter loses his powers because he chooses to be spider-man, no more.

well, it looks like the black costume emerges because of his quest for revenge. thats it. no symbiote, no alien, no beyonder. thats how it appears to me, more along the lines of a dark side 'vader'-like spider-man. i could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

and yes, i am familiar with the storyline. dude, i have a complete asm run from #88-#441 and i also have the complete secret wars sets.

Isn't there a quick clip in the trailer where a black substance (the suit?) attaches itself to Eddie Brock's hand. Ala its alive like action. confused-smiley-013.gif And I'm not thinking about the part where Peter is in the black suit.

Well, first of all, Venom will be in SM3. Probably at the end. I saw the leaked preview trailer (it's still on Google video, I think.) At the end you see Eddie Brock transforming into Venom. Venom is a little skinny (but so is Topher Grace.) Otherwise he looks AWESOME. His jaws are flipping huge. VERY true to the look of the character in the comics.

As for ASM 300, I have 1 copy in my 300-400 run. I can't for the life of me figure out how to grade it, though. I think it's a Fine. I'll probably scan it and dump a "Could you Spare a Grade" forum. It should be a VF but there's some weird staining in a couple places on the cover. Was there when I bought it.

I guess, now that I think about it, I'll sell it for a few bucks. I've been buying ALOT of comics lately and not making a ton back.

Well, first of all, Venom will be in SM3. Probably at the end. I saw the leaked preview trailer (it's still on Google video, I think.) At the end you see Eddie Brock transforming into Venom. Venom is a little skinny (but so is Topher Grace.) Otherwise he looks AWESOME. His jaws are flipping huge. VERY true to the look of the character in the comics.

i see. didnt know that. cool. headbang.gif

..., but what intrigues me more is what a 9.9 would sell for now (vs. the $3,050 it sold for a year ago, before movie hype).

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

asm300cgc99f.jpg

asm300cgc99b.jpg

hail.gifhail.gif

i hope some jack asss pays 15 grand for it instead of a AF 15 or ASM 1 and then can't get 2 grand for it in 5 years.

Shad - you turned $225 into $45000 in less than 20 years - you're my hero regardless!

Thats nothing. In November I turned $7500 into $600 in twenty minutes at The Sands in AC. The pendulam swings both ways.

But,I appreciate the adulation. thumbsup2.gif

remember in SM2 movie. peter loses his powers because he chooses to be spider-man, no more.

well, it looks like the black costume emerges because of his quest for revenge. thats it. no symbiote, no alien, no beyonder. thats how it appears to me, more along the lines of a dark side 'vader'-like spider-man. i could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

and yes, i am familiar with the storyline. dude, i have a complete asm run from #88-#441 and i also have the complete secret wars sets.

Well, if that's the case, then I'm sort of bummed out!!