• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone else GAGA for Davis Crippen "D" Copy books?

105 posts in this topic

I know that Edgar Church's Mile High collection started the whole Pedigree trend, but anyone else obsessed with Crippen copies besides me here?

I've bid on a few but haven't won anything. I threw some moderate level bids on a couple of the Crippen Archies but got blown out of the water on the hammer prices. Even upper mid grade Archies/Peps/Laughs seem red hot at the moment.

Actually, I am not. Recently bought two Nedors which were graded accurately by CGC, techincally spot on. Eye appeal-wise, though, I was not overly impressed. And that means a lot to me.

Dennis

My suggestion is to start out small. I purchased a couple very moderately priced Crippen copies to start out with. Both of the copies in this post were each purchased for a mere $35. Look at the Monte. This thing is pristine, and was actually undergraded in my opinion.

monte.jpg

nellie25.jpg

My suggestion is to start out small. I purchased a couple very moderately priced Crippen copies to start out with. Both of the copies in this post were each purchased for a mere $35. Look at the Monte. This thing is pristine, and was actually undergraded in my opinion.

Those books look great, nice purchases. But I've seen more Crippens that fall short of expectations than exceed them. Even if I paid $1 for an 8.0 copy of whatever issue, if it doesn't have that "look" of high grade and falls short of other 8.0 books that I own, that is what I am referring to when I say that I am not going "GAGA" over them. Sorry to be the fly in the ointment.

Sorry to be the fly in the ointment.

Its cool. I have seen several Crippen copies with dust shadow, which I hate. But I have found that many of the Crippen copies are one of, if not the highest, copies certified to date. Not only that, but Davis collected such a wide spectrum of books, ranging in date from 1938 to 1954. That is a pretty darn impressive collection, even if some do have rusty looking staples.

Not only that, but Davis collected such a wide spectrum of books, ranging in date from 1938 to 1954. That is a pretty darn impressive collection, even if some do have rusty looking staples.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif That is why no matter what, D copies deserve their recognition as a significant pedigree.

Yeah, the Archies are out of control and the "crossover" Peps that sold in the Signature auction went for insane money as well... The Laughs are still pretty reasonable (at least in comparison...)

Ok. I'll bite. What's a "crossover" Pep?

Not only that, but Davis collected such a wide spectrum of books, ranging in date from 1938 to 1954. That is a pretty darn impressive collection, even if some do have rusty looking staples.

Agreed. thumbsup2.gif That is why no matter what, D copies deserve their recognition as a significant pedigree.

The Crippen collection has been great for me. It's produced some lower grade books that are just impossible to find and keeps them affordable... One example would be my Flyin' Jenny #1 in VG+ that I picked up for around $55. Just two weeks before I went after the Mile High copy and had to bow out at the $335 mark. High grade is great, but not always practicle.

Then again I was able to pick up a nice affordable CGC 9.0 Wow 23 out of the Crippen lot. The only other high grades out there on this one (that have shown their faces lately anyway) are the Mile High in NM- for $1450 from Metro or the CGC 9.4 Rockford for $1300 also at Metro. I can live with my vastly less expensive copy thumbsup2.gif

All in all I've picked up about 7 Crippen books. It's been a good pedigree for me.

Not quite weekly, but 6 out of the 7 have been from Heritage over the last couple of months.

It's hard to pass up on some of them, but there's only so much money in the world... Oh yeah... and the fact that Heritage has Crowley Wow's up almost every week as well foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, the Archies are out of control and the "crossover" Peps that sold in the Signature auction went for insane money as well... The Laughs are still pretty reasonable (at least in comparison...)

Ok. I'll bite. What's a "crossover" Pep?

Those are the issues where it is transforming from a hero book to a strictly teen humor title. Numbers 41-50 are the cover crossover books (with both the heros and Archie appearing on the cover) and 51-65 are the content crossover books (with both hero and humor stories). It's a designation I made up myself grin.gif

I know that Edgar Church's Mile High collection started the whole Pedigree trend, but anyone else obsessed with Crippen copies besides me here?

Here is another thread on the Crippen books, started by Yours Truly.

In short, I've been hesitant on the Crippens. Since I collect mostly high grade, and since many of the high grade "D" books have unsightly foxing issues, I haven't pursued any of the books agressively. I don't feel a white cover GA "9.0" should have nasty looking foxing down the edges or along the back....its just a turn-off for me.

Granted, many of the books are fine (minimal or no foxing), just not the ones I would have been interested in.

In short, I've been hesitant on the Crippens. Since I collect mostly high grade, and since many of the high grade "D" books have unsightly foxing issues, I haven't pursued any of the books agressively. I don't feel a white cover GA "9.0" should have nasty looking foxing down the edges or along the back....its just a turn-off for me.

Granted, many of the books are fine (minimal or no foxing), just not the ones I would have been interested in.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Quite a few of the Fox books that I have seen have unsightly foxing or dust shadow. There have been some key issues that I had mixed feelings about due to a dust shadow on the back cover, or foxing on the back cover. I just couldn't justify spending huge dollars when other books that have been professionally graded have no dust shadow and a flawless back cover. Of course, when you are talking about a $1,000+ book, near perfection should come with the territory. Unfortunately, the books that I bid on have only a few books on the CGC census, so passing up on one of them means that you may not see another again for many years. confused-smiley-013.gif

I currently have a number of books from various series in my collection. This includes Georgie Comics, Nellie The Nurse, Manhunt, Jo-Jo Comics, Rulah Jungle Goddess, Junior, Jumbo Comics, Fight Comics, Dagar Desert Hawk, Chamber of Chills, Witches Tales, Jungle Comics, and Wonder Comics.

I have also owned several others, but I have been forced to sell them to make room for some of the Junior books. My most recent sale, and one that I regret (but was unavoidable), is the selling of Crime and Justice #12 CGC 9.2.

Good choice, those Junior books have amazing GGA covers. thumbsup2.gif

Ask me in a week or two when my three Crippen Jumbos arrive from Heritage.

Which ones did you end up getting? My favorite Jumbo is #103. I don't believe I have seen a "D" copy of that particular issue yet. I passed up on the unslabbed Mile High copy of that issue a while back, in hopes of discovering that there is a Crippen copy.

Jumbo Comics 93, 96, and 139, all raw, all VF according to Heritage. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My Jumbo focus is 68-130 right now, the Sky Girl issues. These three should put my 1/3 of the way there.

My question may have been answered before....but is there a comprehensive list for all books that comprise the Crippen ped.? Or any of the other ped.'s, I want to update my spreadsheet wantlist for all the paratrooper books that may be in a certain ped.

thanks

Well, I just won my first pedigree book on ebay for $50, a STORY OF HARRY S. TRUMAN (1948) SOTI / CRIPPEN"D" COPY. Bought it after reading this thread, by the scans in the auction, couldn't really tell the condition of the book. But since I collect SOTI books, and wanted a pedigree, I took a chance on this one. Anyone know about this particular book?

My First Pedigree!!