• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NM+ copy of AF 15 on eBay...is this guy for real?

33 posts in this topic

I couldn't sleep and was just browsing eBay right now and came upon this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Any chance this guy is legit? Still amusing either way. Forgive me if this auction has been posted or discussed previously...but I especially loved all his posted Auction Questions and Answers!

I couldn't sleep and was just browsing eBay right now and came upon this auction:

Any chance this guy is legit? Still amusing either way. Forgive me if this auction has been posted or discussed previously...but I especially loved all the posted Auction Questions and Answers!

I just posted a thread on this...i will delete my post...i dont feel safe bidding. you?

Any chance this guy is legit? Still amusing either way. Forgive me if this auction has been posted or discussed previously...but I especially loved all the posted Auction Questions and Answers!

I just posted a thread on this...i will delete my post...i dont feel safe bidding. you?

Oh heck no, but right now it is a bargain even if restored. Wonder if there is any truth to that missing White Mountain pedigree story...????

foreheadslap.gif

Oh heck no, but right now it is a bargain even if restored. Wonder if there is any truth to that missing White Mountain pedigree story...????

No, it is overpriced. The book is trimmed and color touched. It's worth around a third to a half of its current bid price.

This is also the first and only time I have ever heard of a second White Mountain copy of AF#15. I am sure that is total BS.

P.S. I loved the fake message from "E.J. in Dallas." Ed Jaster must have gotten a good laugh from that one.

No, it is overpriced. The book is trimmed and color touched. It's worth around a third to a half of its current bid price.

I think even that estimate is generous, given the trim.

But still, thumbsup2.gif

foreheadslap.gif ...guess it shows how much I know about the value of restored keys! confused-smiley-013.gif

It was pressed between two cookie sheets, two glass panes from a picture frame, then sealed all around with black electrical tape, wrapped in black cloth and placed in a trunk. That's how I preserved books and maps back then. I still do it because it works.

27_laughing.gif

I think even that estimate is generous, given the trim.

But still, thumbsup2.gif

Yeah, I was trying not to be too aggressive in stating how overpriced it is at the current bid, but you're right, reality is that the value is closer to a third of the current bid than half of the current bid. Trimmed AF 15s seem to hit a ceiling at $4,000-5,000.

the seller must be shilling himself with emails....and posting false names....

Chuck ala mile high.

Someone from heritage

Someone else offering to buy it outright...

this seller is having a field day making up a nice long story to sell his trimmed restored AF 15....ala comickeys.

crappy photos

illegible backgrounds

won't take advice

Doesn't care if he gives up $100K+ in value

Won't have it CGC'd

Give me a break.

We'll see where it ends.

Chuck ala mile high.

Someone from heritage

this seller is having a field day making up a nice long story to sell his trimmed restored AF 15....ala comickeys.

crappy photos

illegible backgrounds

won't take advice

Won't have it CGC'd

Give me a break.

We'll see where it ends.

Not only Chuck.. but StevenB (Brulato? Borock?... mentions Hero Initiative)

A lot of the emails read/sound like they were written by the same person. (syntactically similar in writing style and tone.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chuck ala mile high.

Someone from heritage

crappy photos

illegible backgrounds

won't take advice

Won't have it CGC'd

Give me a break.

We'll see where it ends.

Not only Chuck.. but StevenB (Brulato? Borock?... mentions Hero Initiative)

A lot of the emails read/sound like they were written by the same person. (syntactically similar in writing style and tone.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just what I was thinking. Theres an obvious rehearsed and contrived tone in both the questions and answers, and he is determined to let everyone know that he is not a spiderman fan and doesn't know anything about the book, even though he admits to being connected to comics in some way. And the story about the poor, miserable comic shop owner is almost like a fairytale character... almost like... Gepetto. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is classic hook line and sinker action going on to lure in the bidders.

I didn't check to see if he was also shillling his auction...I bet if you look he's likely doing that too.

Someone is going to feel very cheated when they receive their package back from CGC with the restored/trimmed AF 15.

claiming ignorance and essentially no responsibility for the item or it's condition.

Classic

This is classic hook line and sinker action going on to lure in the bidders.

I didn't check to see if he was also shillling his auction...I bet if you look he's likely doing that too.

Someone is going to feel very cheated when they receive their package back from CGC with the restored/trimmed AF 15.

claiming ignorance and essentially no responsibility for the item or it's condition.

Classic

You know thats whats gonna happen.Its a slam dunk.

Any chance this guy is legit? Still amusing either way. Forgive me if this auction has been posted or discussed previously...but I especially loved all his posted Auction Questions and Answers!

I just figured out what this auction is. It's a Photoshopped picture of the White Mountain copy. The "62" in the issue number/month box and the faint spine stresses (and the fact that the book has exactly the same registration, except for the parts he photoshopped to cover up the subtle edge wear) give it away.

Click here for a big picture