• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is anyone else having a problem with Matthew Wilson - Fantasy Masterpieces ??

254 posts in this topic

..One final update, so this thread can end on a good note........

I was advised to have these 2 books, one of which needs complete restoration, and the other which needs to have the shoddy restoration work "undone" and then "redone", worked on by an expert with experience in dealing with books/paper from this time period- 1897.

Thru several referrals and internet searching, I found a member of the AIC ( The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works ) right here in Baltimore, who does work for The Smithsonian in D.C. and the Johns Hopkins Librabry in Baltimore as a rare book Conservator. He has seen photos of both books, and this is right up his alley.....So within 1 year ( once again ), both of these books should be classicly and properly restored and conserved using the proper techniques and materials for a 19th century historically important book ( or two ).

For my Plat books that can not be sent to CGC due to size, I order archival custom made presentation holders called "clam shell boxes" --- both McFadden's Flats will ultimately be stored in a holder just like this.......

1658685-gaylord.jpg

Will post pics in 2008 of the finished product!

Steve

1658685-gaylord.jpg.90a6ab7024b814b4be9c2efd2e2e84bb.jpg

I was advised to have these 2 books, one of which needs complete restoration, and the other which needs to have the shoddy restoration work "undone" and then "redone", worked on by an expert with experience in dealing with books/paper from this time period- 1897.

Thru several referrals and internet searching, I found a member of the AIC ( The American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works ) right here in Baltimore, who does work for The Smithsonian in D.C. and the Johns Hopkins Librabry in Baltimore as a rare book Conservator. He has seen photos of both books, and this is right up his alley.....So within 1 year ( once again ), both of these books should be classicly and properly restored and conserved using the proper techniques and materials for a 19th century historically important book ( or two ).

Steve

Excellent news Steve!

Are you planning any more action against Nelson for his mangling of your precious'?

it's not Nelson who's been the issue (and the confusion has been made before)

I don't think there's ever been much doubt about Matt Nelson's skill as a restorer, or his business integrity as a restorer. Most of the negative issues on here regarding Matt Nelsons skill as a discloser of pressing.

now Matt Wilson on the other hand ........

For my Plat books that can not be sent to CGC due to size, I order archival custom made presentation holders called "clam shell boxes" --- both McFadden's Flats will ultimately be stored in a holder just like this.......

1658685-gaylord.jpg

Steve

Well, 2008 is almost 3/4 of the way over. How's the restoration removal working out so far, Steve?

1658685-gaylord.jpg

Steve

Well, 2008 is almost 3/4 of the way over. How's the restoration removal working out so far, Steve?

:popcorn:

Worse things have happened to me ..........

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/public/default.asp?t=1&m=1&c=34&s=262&ai=69697&ssd=5%2F5%2F2008&sp=yellow%20kid&sd=4/29/08&arch=y

The book is literally the "Action #1" of the Platinum Age -- most books from that Era sell for $50 -$250, to help you put the auction price in perspective

I'm confused as well.

Showcase, was that your book and you sold it...or was it your book that someone sold out from under you...or was it someone elses book...or (shrug)