• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: What are your favorite Top 10 TV shows of all time?

106 posts in this topic

Hill Street Blues

Simpsons

The Rockford Files

Looney Tunes -Mel Blanc era

Taxi

ER -before all the originals left (Nothing against the new actors, it's just that it's TOO MUCH of a soap opera now)

The Shield - Helooooo?

Underdog (would race home from school to watch this)

The 3 Stooges

Original Star Trek ("Does she know what she's getting Spock? A carcass full of memory banks..." Spores!!!)

Possible break-ins (once they've put a sesaon or 2 under their belts):

Heroes

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

And very honorable mention to The Copycats! - Frank Gorshin, Rich Little...

someone direct me to acquiring these, & I'll owe you big time!

Rick

The Dungeon (Local Ft. Lauderdale Saturday afternoon Monster/SciFi movie show. The host was "M.T. Graves").

We had the same thing here in Detroit in the 1970s, but the host was "Sir Graves Ghastly" thumbsup2.gif

And every Sunday morning they would run an Abbott & Costello movie cloud9.gif

Similar in NY.

We had Creature Feature on WOR (I think) for the horror stuff, and WPIX must have show an Abbott and Costello flick, followed by a Bowery Boys movie, every Sunday a.m. for about 40 years. Seriously. Every once in a while, I'll pop in an A&C dvd on Sun. a.m. and watch it, just for the nostalgia.

WABC in NY also had one of the greatest ongoing movie series ever on tv--the 4:30 Movie. Every weekday, on the nose, they would show a classic, with entire weeks often centering around one theme. For instance, every guy I knew in elementary school desperately waited for their twice annual "Monster Week", where they showed classic Japanese horror flick. There was also Martin & Lewis week, and "Man Called Flint" week (4 James Coburn Flint movies, + "A Man Called Flintstone"). Great stuff.

Don't forget "Chiller Theater". It had a claymation hand coming out of a pool of blood. It was creepy. It used to scare the stuffing out of me.

The Dungeon (Local Ft. Lauderdale Saturday afternoon Monster/SciFi movie show. The host was "M.T. Graves").

We had the same thing here in Detroit in the 1970s, but the host was "Sir Graves Ghastly" thumbsup2.gif

And every Sunday morning they would run an Abbott & Costello movie cloud9.gif

Similar in NY.

We had Creature Feature on WOR (I think) for the horror stuff, and WPIX must have show an Abbott and Costello flick, followed by a Bowery Boys movie, every Sunday a.m. for about 40 years. Seriously. Every once in a while, I'll pop in an A&C dvd on Sun. a.m. and watch it, just for the nostalgia.

WABC in NY also had one of the greatest ongoing movie series ever on tv--the 4:30 Movie. Every weekday, on the nose, they would show a classic, with entire weeks often centering around one theme. For instance, every guy I knew in elementary school desperately waited for their twice annual "Monster Week", where they showed classic Japanese horror flick. There was also Martin & Lewis week, and "Man Called Flint" week (4 James Coburn Flint movies, + "A Man Called Flintstone"). Great stuff.

Don't forget "Chiller Theater". It had a claymation hand coming out of a pool of blood. It was creepy. It used to scare the stuffing out of me.

I used to love that intro,it took me years to realize the hand had 6 fingers!..........Chillllllerrrrrrr..... thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Top ten:

1. Arrested Development

2. South Park

3. Saturday Night Live

4. That 70's Show

5. Garth Marenghi's Dark Places

6. Justice League Unlimited

7. GI Joe

8. Robotech (Macross Saga)

9. King of the Hill

10. Mystery Science Theater 3000

My ADHD keeps me from remembering anything else at this time....Good times!

yay.gifChris

Top Ten Shows if I were a perpetual teenager: grin.gif

Baywatch

The Benny Hill Show

Solid Gold

Charlie's Angels

Elvira

The Avengers (Emma Peel)

Wonder Woman

Gilligan's Island

The Man Show

Three's Company

No particular order:

Deadwood - might be my all time favorite thus far - I think Ian Mcshane's role is exceedingly brilliant.

Sportscenter - I grew up in the Sport Center Generation. There may be better now, but if we are talking about the rock of my tv viewing history this is it.

Hercule Poirot - David Suchett nails this role.

Nero Wolfe - Timothy Hutton brings Rex Stout's Archie Goodwin to life.

Robotech - I grew up when GIJOE and Transformers were justly part of every child's life - Robotech was the best cartoon on however. If you consider the time and the mainstream appeal it had this was a rather progressive minded show..

Seinfeld - Jason Alexander might have been the best supporting actor in a sitcom I have seen.

Shogun - great production. One of the best female performances I have seen.

Star Trek DS-9 - didn't care for the orignal series at all, but this was a terrific character study masquarding as SF.

Colbert Report - Dude is funny on a daily basis.

Hair Bear - A bit of a guilty pleasure and a bast from the past . I dare somebody who has been a avid pothead and watch this show on the daily and not find it utterly hilarious and equally fascinating. It's literally about stoned bears who with a flip of a switch have a pimp pad in the zoo, and that just break out when ever they want to - led by a bear with a fro. Compelling stuff.

In no particular order

Twilight Zone(1st)

The Mighty Sons of Hercules

- When I was kid, I remember being mesmerized by this show and I never missed an episode and watched the same ones over and over again.

Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Kung Fu

Star Trek(1st)

Star Trek:Next Generation

ER

I Dream of Jeannie

Survivor

Outer Limits

Sanford and Son

"I'm comin' Elizabeth! "

Interesting that Sanford And Son is on several people's Top Ten lists - in my Top Ten list was Steptoe And Son, which is in fact the English program on which Sanford was directly based.

Steptoe And Son was a seminal program in British T.V. history - it started as a Playhouse Special (one-off drama) in 1962 and the creators developed it into a comedy series which lasted until 1976.

As with Sanford the series was about a middle-aged son desperate to break free of his elderly father's manipulative grip - but Steptoe was much darker, as the two characters were Rag And Bone Men (junk merchants) living in abject squalor. The son's hatred of his dad was always intense (and the two actors who played the roles hated each other too)....

Worth a look, if only as a snapshot of post-war austerity Britain.