• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,803 posts in this topic

Nope, Walter Lantz was a true blue guy...I even know a relative who lives in North Pole Alaska.

Not quite what I meant.

I know that Walter Lantz, Walt Disney and Leon Schlesinger were real people, but I seriously doubt that they drew all the comic books with their names on them. I wondered who actually did the art on the Oswald cover. I suppose it's possible that it was Lantz himself, although Disney or Schlesinger themselves probably never drew a line for Dell.

Jack

foreheadslap.gif yeah....what was I thinking...

No 394 yet?

Here's my meager contribution. Nothing like the beautiful 9+ copies we usually see, but newly arrived, structurally very sound with off-white or better pages, on the sunny side of VG.

Jack 1749944-DDFC394s.jpg

Nope, Walter Lantz was a true blue guy...I even know a relative who lives in North Pole Alaska.

Santa Clause is related to Walter Lantz? 893whatthe.gif

Santa Clause is related to Walter Lantz? 893whatthe.gif

thumbsup2.gif with all the joy he brought...who else thumbsup2.gif

Frank O'Neil's Short Ribs was one of the issues that took me quite a while to find - 1333

Wow. Never seen that one. I am not surprised it's a tough one to find. Monte, have you found / observed that the late run FCs can be tough to find? What's your experience?

Also, reposted from General so the info does not get buried and lost, here's what Selegue posted in reply to BobPfef:

My purchases

bugsbunnyfourcolor142.jpg

<snip> but shoulda shoulda on this Four Color! Great catch! Does anyone know who drew, inked or colored the cover?

Jack

I couldn't reply until now since I was banned and I was glad to already have a copy of that FC since I couldn't bid! The reason I am reposting this is because I know the answer to the question. I believe that cover as that of the 123 is by Tom McKimson. You can check him and his brothers at the Who's Who +TOM'>McKimson Who's Who . McKimson started in animation then worked on Bugs Bunny from 43 to 50 and also was editor on the title for Dell, then stopped and then came back for more from 71 to 83. The first time I read about him was from Mark Evanier in CBG a few years back of course. It's actually his comments that sent me chasing for those early FC Bugs.

Scrooge

Frank O'Neil's Short Ribs was one of the issues that took me quite a while to find - 1333

Wow. Never seen that one. I am not surprised it's a tough one to find. Monte, have you found / observed that the late run FCs can be tough to find? What's your experience?

Fading popularity and poor distribution above about 1300, right? Lots of Gerber 5-7.

I have very few above about 1280, and they're mostly damaged (logo stripped).

Also, reposted from General so the info does not get buried and lost, here's what Selegue posted in reply to BobPfef:

<snip> but shoulda shoulda on this Four Color [142]! Great catch! Does anyone know who drew, inked or colored the cover?

I couldn't reply until now since I was banned and I was glad to already have a copy of that FC since I couldn't bid!

Scrooge sitting in the corner with Dennis the Menace!

I wish I had a FC 142!

It's not a cartoon adaptation, is it?

The reason I am reposting this is because I know the answer to the question. I believe that cover as that of the 123 is by Tom McKimson. You can check him and his brothers at the Who's Who +TOM'>McKimson Who's Who . McKimson started in animation then worked on Bugs Bunny from 43 to 50 and also was editor on the title for Dell, then stopped and then came back for more from 71 to 83. The first time I read about him was from Mark Evanier in CBG a few years back of course. It's actually his comments that sent me chasing for those early FC Bugs.

Thanks for the info. Is any of it in GCD? If you didn't send it, I'll do it.

I know that "Alberto's FC index is coming" but who knows when?

Jack

Welcome back Scrooge.

I haven't found the later 4-colors harder to find then the earlier ones. I think it has more to do with the individual titles. Books like Rocky and Bullwinkle, or Yogi Bear show up all the time while books like Short Ribs and Aggie Mack are tough to find. Probably a combination of fewer being bough originally, and the lower price, lack of demand, keeping dealers from looking for them. Other books like Andy Griffith, or Leave it to Beaver, get bought up outside the comic market.

Discounting higher priced issues, the one that has given me the most problems is issue 600 Daisy Duck. My copy has a piece missing, and I'd like to upgrade, but for some reason this issue rarely shows up. On the other hand the Clint Eastwood issues seem to be extremely common. I just bought a collection of about 50 four colors last week, which were all later issues, and all averaging 7.0 except that Ronny Sipes had written his name on each one. The only books I didn't buy were the Rawhide issues.

Lately, with the Crippen collection, and the file copies on the market, if your willing to pay just about all the issues are around.

<snip> and all averaging 7.0 except that Ronny Sipes had written his name on each one.

sumo.gif May he burn himself on his Cookshack's little Smokette! 27_laughing.gifLinky to Ronny Sipes post - look down in the thread Did you buy the books straight from Ronny or from some one else?

Thanks for the info on the availability of the later FCs. I run into the same problem with the minor Romance comics that no one seems to carry. sorry.gif

Oh, and I'll keep an eye out for that FC 600 though I've never found Daisy's stories to be that exciting frown.gif

I got them from an Antique dealer out of Bismark ND. I've dealt with him for years, somehow he comes across collection pretty regularly

He gives me first shot on them. he's a rarity since he let me teach him grading, and we usually start discussing prices based on a percent of 4.0, not 9.2 like most.

Here are a couple that are tough to get, not because their necessarily scarce, but because of the competition from outside the comic collecting area.

I completely agree about the Andy Griffiths. It took me over a year to find the 1341 and still haven't found the 1252. If anyone has an extra, let me know.

Btw, I have a nice HG married #600 on the site.

Marc