• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,819 posts in this topic

Interesting note on 3 Caballeros. When we were at Disney World recently, we went through the Walt Disney "museum" and show at Hollywood Studios. They mentioned that Walt took a gaggle of animators on a trip to South America with no real direction. They returned and made 3 Caballeros, apparently inspired from the trip.

That trip was underwritten by the US Government as part of a campaign to provide positive press for the Allies in WWII. Many home movies were taken along the way and they were edited for a recent documentary.

I thought the subject was interesting but didn't find it quite as entertaining as I had hoped.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223150/

I've pulled more of the missing books ... but then I end up reading them instead of scanning them lol

I read all of the four presented below. The Buffalo Bill, Jr. came with alterations from Jack to make him Buffalo Bill, Sr. :insane: I posted interiors from that one in BZ's thread to highlight Correa's swipes of Toth.

120413.jpg.1b68250b72c563c556381c08e001c3b9.jpg

120414.jpg.1ca04f1194b7ba773829fb4b79596a2a.jpg

120415.jpg.8bdc6e74baf90763583fef9c35005193.jpg

120416.jpg.8291aa0b98f86a0ffc83e157eadbb241.jpg

I really wasn't sure about Will Yum! before reading it but I actually enjoyed it cover to cover. The stories are what you'd expect from a kid strip from the '50's (the strip ran for about 15 years starting in 1953 I believe). I enjoyed it because it allowed to remember what I was allowed to do back then that our kids aren't: disappearing in the neighborhood for hours at a time with our parents having no way to know where we were or ended, how we would go to the store alone to run errands, sometimes buying cigarettes for Dad or your school teacher (happened to me), cutting across private property (in order to get to the stadium (a.k.a. sports park / playground) we scaled over a wall and cut across the closed high-school and and to crawl under a wire fence to come out on the other side), etc ... Just for the nostalgia, it was in fact a nice read. Dave Gerard continued cartooning in home state of Indiana IIRC after the strip ended. He died as recently as 2003 at the age of 94.

Tales from the Wells Fargo was another pleasure as is any book drawn by Giolitti. It's too bad that DuBois didn't give him too exciting of stories for this issue: a lot of talking and explaination of plot points almost killed the job but Giolitti can also impress in quiet moments; see page below.

Finally The Untouchables is OK (I have to finish it). As soon as you open the book, you find the unmistakable work of Dan Spiegle. I'm very torn in my evaluation of Spiegle. He is not an artist to whose work I would naturally gravitate or warm up to but I can't fault him in the job he delivered, always a solid workmanlike job he did. Is he then the John Buscema of Dell? I'd love to hear others' opinion of his work. Dan Spiegle is still alive and he turned 91 last October.

Giolitti's work from Tales from the Wells Fargo -

120417.jpg.4f245abc877e254f3f480c546887e7e0.jpg

120418.jpg.9b11de93305a9c8e047b4063f1d2636a.jpg

Thanks for the enlarged scan. My eyes went straight to this panel -- very nicely done.

120418.jpg

I enjoyed it because it allowed to remember what I was allowed to do back then that our kids aren't: disappearing in the neighborhood for hours at a time with our parents having no way to know where we were or ended, how we would go to the store alone to run errands, sometimes buying cigarettes for Dad or your school teacher (happened to me), cutting across private property (in order to get to the stadium (a.k.a. sports park / playground) we scaled over a wall and cut across the closed high-school and and to crawl under a wire fence to come out on the other side), etc ....

And it's not the world that's changed either. It's parents who have changed.

:eyeroll:

Will-Yum! sounds like a great read!

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

I would say that it is society that has changed. If I as a parent let my kids do the things I did as a kid I would be looked down upon as an irresponsible parent by my fellow parents, school and local PD. My kids would be suspended, have a record at the local PD and things would not be happy. Sorry, way of the world; can't blame it strictly on parents.

If I as a parent let my kids do the things I did as a kid I would be looked down upon as an irresponsible parent by my fellow parents, school and local PD.

But they're all parents too, or at least adults!

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

In the first page of the second story, he furnishes a Wells Fargo's office with attention to details. He "creates / designs" a neat file desk and when he reverses the camera angle, he stayed true to the original design. That attention to detail always goes well with this reader.

In the panel I posted the colorist also played along with the yellow lit window in the relay / station + Giolitti never fakes it as you can see in the details he puts in the station with the main building, the water reservoir, the barn / stable behind. Simply fantastic. You only get to appreciate it once the panel is blown up.

Giolitti never fakes it

No fakes on any panels you or BZ shared. I've not read much of his work but I know enough of him to want to dig a little deeper.

Any recommendations for reprints? Is Turok the only option?

120418.jpg

Giolitti's artwork is beautiful throughout the book.

He was an amazing artist.

wellsfargo1.jpg

wellsfargo2.jpg

wellsfargo3.jpg

wellsfargo4.jpg

wellsfargo5.jpg

Did you fellows really have to post those gorgeous interior scans? Now I need to add that Wells Fargo comic to my want list.

:(

120418.jpg

Giolitti's artwork is beautiful throughout the book.

He was an amazing artist.

wellsfargo1.jpg

wellsfargo2.jpg

wellsfargo3.jpg

wellsfargo4.jpg

wellsfargo5.jpg

Did you fellows really have to post those gorgeous interior scans? Now I need to add that Wells Fargo comic to my want list.

:(

Alter Ego or Back Issue did a Gold Key issue that had some interesting information on Giolitti as I recall. Don't remember the issue number but it was a very intersting article.

Alter Ego or Back Issue did a Gold Key issue that had some interesting information on Giolitti as I recall. Don't remember the issue number but it was a very intersting article.

Hmm, I had to check GCD for info on gold key and found out that Giolitti did Laredo 1 and Gunsmoke 1 & 3, and The Chief #2 (dell). I'll need to check my copies tonight of all those!

I also recall that he did most of the art in the Dell Giant of Abraham Lincoln. very detailed!