• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,821 posts in this topic

That's really a nice group of Bullwinkle and Rocky comics, they look lonely without their predecessor though.

735.jpg

Oh man, I love Crusader Rabbit!

:luhv:

Harley Yee had issue #805 in NM- for over $400 at a convention about seven years ago. I waffled on it, then went back to buy it but it had been snapped up by another customer by then.

:(

Let's try this again, with my glasses on this time. :o

annette1100001.jpg

Fabulous cat! That's another issue I've never quite pulled the trigger on when I've seen it.

(thumbs u

For whatever reason, most photo covers from TV shows leave me uninterested though.

(shrug)

Edited by Hepcat

Let's try this again, with my glasses on this time. :o

annette1100001.jpg

Fabulous cat! That's another issue I've never quite pulled the trigger on when I've seen it.

(thumbs u

For whatever reason, most photo covers from TV shows leave me uninterested though.

(shrug)

Must resist urge about Annette having a very nice........

Did a first trip to the boxes. Warning: for the sake of completing our original goal for the thread, I've pulled books from the "next level", that is, books I would typically not scan to post on here to avoid retina burns. They get better the higher the issue number gets.

These are all holes in Monty's spreadsheet / scorecard -

120229.jpg.eae2cf8d9b0d4a47129a05f2cefac1fa.jpg

120230.jpg.8602920f5dae4f9dc8a7f441e4e842db.jpg

120231.jpg.702dfe6fadbe5e12de61489f384c2784.jpg

120232.jpg.27f9111c661b40c2564d3a5d01ffaff0.jpg

120233.jpg.cbcdda2a6b0da0d37b8f21bae07cdd2d.jpg

Did a first trip to the boxes. Warning: for the sake of completing our original goal for the thread, I've pulled books from the "next level", that is, books I would typically not scan to post on here to avoid retina burns. They get better the higher the issue number gets.

120239.jpg.75f29e1588d39371b03625d66cbaa870.jpg

Warning: for the sake of completing our original goal for the thread, I've pulled books from the "next level", that is, books I would typically not scan to post on here to avoid retina burns.

These are all holes in Monty's spreadsheet / scorecard -

Oswald the Rabbit, Charlie McCarthy, Beany and Cecil, Will-Yum, those are all great titles though that I'd like to add to my collection in time!

(thumbs u

Who was the artist? His work looks quite a bit like that of Carl Barks.

Tom McKimson

From Wikipedia:

Thomas Jacob "Tom" McKimson (March 5, 1907 - February 14, 1998) was an American animator, best known for his work at Warner Bros. studio. He was the older brother of animators Robert and Charles McKimson.

McKimson was born in Denver, Colorado, but relocated to Los Angeles with his family in the 1920s. He began his career in animation in 1928, when he joined the Walt Disney Studio, becoming an assistant to animator Norman Ferguson. He left Disney in the early 1930s to work briefly for Romer Grey Studios, then joined Harman-Ising Studios around 1932. After Harman and Ising left Warner Bros. Animation for MGM, McKimson became a member of Bob Clampett's animation unit, where he is credited with the original design for Tweety Bird. McKimson also provided animation for Bob McKimson and Arthur Davis's units.

During his time at Warner Bros., McKimson also worked for Dell Comics, providing illustrations for the Bugs Bunny and Road Runner comic books. McKimson also illustrated the Roy Rogers daily comic strip from 1949 to 1953 in collaboration with his brother Charles and artist Pete Alvarado, using the collective pseudonym "Al McKimson." He left Warners in 1947 to become art director for Dell's parent company Western Publishing, where he remained until his retirement in 1972.

McKimson was active in the Masonic fraternity. He was the Master of Melrose Lodge No. 355 in Hollywood in 1954[3] and a founding member of Riviera Lodge No. 780 in Pacific Palisades, California in 1956, and later an Inspector and the Grand Tyler of the Grand Lodge of California. He was also a polo enthusiast, playing on the same team as Walter Lantz animator Ray Abrams.

McKimson died on Valentine's Day, 1998 in West Los Angeles at the age of 90.

Lately, I have enjoyed reading contemporary movie reviews of classic movies to see how these now academy-enshrined works were received originally.

It turns out the crew at Cartoon Brew had their minds there as well and they posted this 1945 review of The Three Caballeros. I enjoyed reading the review.

(Posted here b/c The Three Caballeros earned the Four Color treatment)

threecabs-wolcott.jpg

Interesting note on 3 Caballeros. When we were at Disney World recently, we went through the Walt Disney "museum" and show at Hollywood Studios. They mentioned that Walt took a gaggle of animators on a trip to South America with no real direction. They returned and made 3 Caballeros, apparently inspired from the trip.

Who was the artist? His work looks quite a bit like that of Carl Barks.

Tom McKimson

BZ, I don't know if you saw this but there is a book coming out about the McKimson brothers.

"The first survey dedicated to the work of the McKimson brothers, this book offers a rare behind-the-scenes look at the upper echelon of 20th-century animation and examines the creative process behind the making of numerous popular characters and classic programs. Featuring original artwork from the golden age of animation, this book includes a wealth of material from many professional archives—screen captures, original drawings, reproductions of animation cels, illustrations from comic books, lobby cards, and other ephemera from the author’s collection—while surveying the careers of three groundbreaking animators whose credits include Looney Tunes, the Pink Panther, and Mr. Magoo. Beginning in the 1920s and then tracing the brothers’ work together at Warner Brothers Cartoons in the following decades, this history details Robert McKimson’s creation of such beloved characters as Foghorn Leghorn, the Tasmanian Devil, and Speedy Gonzales; Tom McKimson’s work at Warner Brothers, Dell Comics, and Golden Books; and Chuck McKimson’s long career working in comic books and then later at Pacific Title, creating animated film titles and commercials, including his award-winning work on Music Man, Cleopatra, and The Sound of Music"

51JlsgkFlIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon Linky

Lately, I have enjoyed reading contemporary movie reviews of classic movies to see how these now academy-enshrined works were received originally.

It turns out the crew at Cartoon Brew had their minds there as well and they posted this 1945 review of The Three Caballeros. I enjoyed reading the review.

(Posted here b/c The Three Caballeros earned the Four Color treatment)

threecabs-wolcott.jpg

'Orbicular chorus girls' :cloud9:

One of the main attractions of reading old reviews is the appreciation of the language they contain AND references to the classics. Even up to the '50's and '60's in comic books, it was not uncommon to see references to classic mythology and to assume that readers would immediately understand the implications and comparisons ... today, I do not see that as a possibility.