• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Talk about a piece of Batman History

46 posts in this topic

While most comics creators saved copies and even multiple copies of their books, most of Kane's were famously destroyed by Kane's wife, who burned Kane's Batman books and original art after she discovered Kane had cheated on her.

893whatthe.gif

Yep, I've made contact with that seller a few months before when he had that Super collection up on ebay that was worth around $1 million or something. I know he had a Det. Comics #27 in fair condition and a Batman #1 in g/vg I think.. He lives around my area too which is cool

That item belongs to Robert Underwood. I have known him for about 10 years and at one time he had complete runs of all the major Golden Age DC titles. Also had complete runs of non-superhero stuff titles like Pep Comics, Archie, etc. I bought the cover art from Amazing Spider-Man 127 from him back in 1999 or so. He also had a Peanuts Sunday from 1954 or 55. I should have bought that too.

hello all...

I have had many wonderful email exchanges with Bob, very knowledgable and appreciatively opinionated!...

rick

Hey, thanks, Eric. As the Fates of Festivity would have it, I saw your kind note at about the same time I was sorting through a box of beat up stuff, which included what may be the world's lowest grade Detective 85. (It's terribly beat and incomplete, but all the bat stuff is there). Then moments later I saw a post saying you need it, so I'm just gonna send it to you. Happy Hplidays..

While most comics creators saved copies and even multiple copies of their books, most of Kane's were famously destroyed by Kane's wife, who burned Kane's Batman books and original art after she discovered Kane had cheated on her.

893whatthe.gif

I bet he had someone stand in for him.

893whatthe.gif

I bet he had someone stand in for him.

Hilarious. Now THAT is one place you don't want anybody "ghosting" for you.

marilyn monroe huh.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That one may be true. A number of people who knew Kane in the late 40s said he knew Monroe before she changed her name and before she was spotted by Groucho Marx in 1949 and hired to do a bit in a terrible film called "Love Happy." The Groucho connection goes even deeper when you learn Kane and Groucho conspired to do a cartoon of the Marx Bros in the 60s. Whenever Batman was hot, Kane would go out of his way to say to people he created Batman, whether they were interested or not. And he would literally introduce himself to pretty women as "batman"because they would generally react like he was crazy and then become iunterested when he told them he created Batman. Apparently the transition from thinking a guy is crazy to realizing he's famous can be very effective in getting some women out of their clothing. Slightly off topic, I heard that Chaplin got off on benefacting young girls who were down on their luck and then seeing their reaction when he brought out the little tramp outfit.

Boy does that name ring a bell. Its at the tip of my toung.I cant quite remember.

Rings a bell with me too

Probably have bought and/or sold to/from you. But your name hasn't popped up in the posts the way action1kid/aka peter lutrario has.

hello all...

check this out

Batman/Bob Kane history

rick

Very cool item. He is, however, mistaken about there being no other original, creator-owned copies of these books. The Sprang copy of Batman #1 was auctioned off at Sotheby's in the 1990s. And according to the auction's description, it appears he had others.

Link to large image of book and Sotheby's description.

hello all...

check this out

Batman/Bob Kane history

rick

Very cool item. He is, however, mistaken about there being no other original, creator-owned copies of these books. The Sprang copy of Batman #1 was auctioned off at Sotheby's in the 1990s. And according to the auction's description, it appears he had others.

Link to large image of book and Sotheby's description.

While Sprang is definitely a comic creator he's not the creator of Batman in quite the same sense that Kane is (regarldess of how people feel about him), but clearly a Sprang owned copy would be more desirable to me than a similar copy that was part of a collector's stash. Trick then is how to differentiate between comic creators (artists and writers who create the individual books) and the people who created the characters themselves -- people like Siegel and Shuster, Kane, Eisner, Lee, Kirby, etc. Ditko would be a co-creator of Spider-man himself while Romita was a creator of individual issues. I suppose I would give added value to Romita's issues, as well, but not in the same sense as Ditko who was there ar the beginning

Boy does that name ring a bell. Its at the tip of my toung.I cant quite remember.

Rings a bell with me too

Probably have bought and/or sold to/from you. But your name hasn't popped up in the posts the way action1kid/aka peter lutrario has.

Depends on which posts you read.

Rings a bell with me too

Depends on which posts you read.

Guess that's what I mean by "thre way action1kid... has" The "way" meaning in such a way that I saw it.

Sorry, can't resist getting into semantics or logic. Hoping any guy who sports a Spock logo would understand...