• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any great ideas on what to do with modern comics??

19 posts in this topic

Ok, I was just scanning over list of comic sets on e-bay and a could fooled me and I opened up an auction and found only modern comics. I don't know about you but I felt like something had died and I was just smelling it. I of course quickly clicked out of there but it got me thinking. What can we do with ALL the modern crud that is littering E-bay and almost everyone at work's storage closet (Andrew, what do you think this Wolverine from 1998 is worth?? - Ummm, how about nothing)

Its no fair to simply suggest they all get donated to needy kids. Its a good solution but impratical since even needy kids don't like to read comics from the 90's (hey look another shinny cover with crud stories). My only suggestion is to start insulating houses with the stuff. Paper has good R value and even rats can't swallow that stuff.

Any other good suggestions that will rid us of this stuff?

Yeah this has been a real disappointment.

You know, from walking into a comicshop, you wouldn't know the things are worthless. But seriously, they really are. Truthfully, I'd probably buy more of that EBay stuff but you see a decent run of something and then the shipping will knock the price up by 30-100 bucks and then it's suddenly not worth it.

And what about those "investment" 90s comics we got suckered into as kids/teens. I mean, I remember my mom buying a Bloodshot 1 (chromium cover) shortly after it was released at a comic convention for $45 for my birthday. That *spoon* thing is worthless now. Heck-- I don't own it and I got nothing for it. "1st ever chromium cover" Bags!

Very sad.

"I remember my mom buying a Bloodshot 1 (chromium cover) shortly after it was released at a comic convention for $45 for my birthday."

Hmmm, was this # 0? I bought it off the rack for cover price, $3.50, whatever. LCS had plenty of them and had plenty of them for a while.

I think I sold a set a year or two ago of all 4 of the chromium covers that came out then for the cover price of one --- $3.50.

No it was issue 1 with the chromium plate in the center. (It wasn't wrap-around time yet.)

There were none at the convention and we were from a small town with no LCS. The guy assured her it was a "great deal". I'd just seen the ad for it in Wizard and was sure there'd be no copies left.

What they print a million-five of those or something?

Grrrr

Donate them to

comics4kids

20825 SR 410 East # 413

Bonney Lake, WA 98391

and yes the kids do like the shiny covers wink.gif

and the nonsenical ones like you describe (BS 0,1, etc) we trade to LCS for appropriate material SO WE CAN USE ALL WE CAN GET smile.gif

Donate them to

comics4kids

20825 SR 410 East # 413

Bonney Lake, WA 98391

and the nonsenical ones like you describe (BS 0,1, etc) we trade to LCS for appropriate material SO WE CAN USE ALL WE CAN GET smile.gif

Who runs this?

kindling

It is part of the reason GA books are so valuable. Most were recycled for the war effort thumbsup2.gif

So yes, please burn up all your Moderns grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif Great idea! If you won't burn them- at least leave heavy finger creases that break color! One man's trash is another man's treasure...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

Donate them to

comics4kids

20825 SR 410 East # 413

Bonney Lake, WA 98391

Who runs this?

me

Not wanting to rain on anyone's "negative" parade...but has anyone thought about reading them?

Moderns on e-bay can be had for a song...and I'm personally happy to pay pennies on the dollar when I'm buying almost complete runs. Certainly better value-wise than buying up moderns at cover prices today.

Not wanting to rain on anyone's "negative" parade...but has anyone thought about reading them?

Moderns on e-bay can be had for a song...and I'm personally happy to pay pennies on the dollar when I'm buying almost complete runs. Certainly better value-wise than buying up moderns at cover prices today.

The point is, THEN what do you do with them? I once had 100's of long boxes of moderns. It gets a bit cumbersome. They just eat up space. I'd rather buy the trades of the ones I want to read. They eat up a lot less space on the bookshelf.

what we need to remember is that some of these floppies are as worthless as newspapers, and should be treated accordingly. you don't save years worth of new york post (well some do maybe but that's just sad); you throw it in the trash or burn it. "throwing away comics, oh dear, that's sacreligious!" bah, get over it and throw a longbox in the thrash (or if you can spare the postage, ship it to comics4kids) NOW thumbsup2.gif

Sell your comics to a used books store that buys and sells comics. Used book stores will buy almost anything. Used book stores will pay more than a LCS for modern comics. LCS will offer maybe 50 cents per book and uneducated used book store might pay a $1 per book.

"LCS will offer maybe 50 cents per book and uneducated used book store might pay a $1 per book."

I think your decimals are out of whack. the LCS will most likely pay 5 cents a book. Maybe, and probably not, they'd give 50 cents in trade, though I doubt it.

Given that used bookstore owners are used to paying 5-10 cents each for their books, if not less, I doubt they'll be paying $1 for comics.