• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Sell Your Comics To Pay a $10K Vet Bill?

133 posts in this topic

I really don't mean to be heartless, but unless I owned Secretariat, I can't imagine paying a $10,000 veternarian bill. 893whatthe.gif

PLEASE HELP!!! My dog is very sick. Her Vet bill is over $10,000. I am selling my whole Fantastic Four Collection of comics and toys to try to pay for some of the bill.

827b_1.JPG

Thay are going to need a lot more than a few dozen lowgrade FFs.

The Mrs. figures we've spent almost $5K on our cat with kidney failure. It is not the money I miss so much as the waking up 2-5 times a night to feed him. Of course, if I had more sleep I'd probably be missing the money more.

Sorry to offend, but you know there is a problem in this world when people put their own lives into hardship for an animal. I've had pets (I was brought to tears when my dog left), but this is unreasonable to me.

I think animals have a higher value/worth than some people. They love unconditionally. They are part of the family. It's funny, when I tell someone I'm going to meet them at a certain time, if I'm late, they're probably upset. When I get home late from work, my dogs are extra happy. Now if my dog was very old and I was just delaying the inevitable by a short period of time, fine, put her down. But if my dog would gain years by a procedure, no problem in my mind selling comic books to pay the bills. Would it hurt? Sure, but I think of the love and joy that I would get for years to come. Seems much better than thinking, Wow, I've got a box full of low to mid grade FF's sitting there. Especially since they're reprinted and I can buy them all if I wanted to read them for the umpteenth time.

Others from this board have done similar things. Many pets become members of the family they live with, especially after several years or so of companionship. So, what may seem like unreasonable behavior to some, is actually the only alternative they would ever consider.

Others from this board have done similar things. Many pets become members of the family they live with, especially after several years or so of companionship. So, what may seem like unreasonable behavior to some, is actually the only alternative they would ever consider.
thumbsup2.gif

I think it is sad that he is using the "ruse" to sell books.

Suspicious at best.

Maybe. I know of another boardmember - one of the people who steered me to these boards - who recently did similar things for her cat with leukemia.

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

Would I do it again? Of course. He was family. screwy.gif

Yep. Or I'd end up divorced. My wife is *very* attached to our cats.

It actually almost came to that - we've got a cat with kidney problems that we've spent several thousand on over the last year and a half. All of that to find that two shots of potassium supplement per day was all he needed.

I had a golden retriever with epilepsy. I must have spent 15K on medicines and doctor visits over the 7 years he had seizures. Was it a waste of money? Probably. Would I do it again? Of course, without question.

I also spent $3300 on an emergency stomach surgery on Christmas Day (got the call from the kennel at 7 AM walking off a plane at O'Hare) - he ate a tennis ball and had a life-threatening intestinal blockage. Was it a waste of money? Of course it was. I could have bought 8 purebred golden pups.

Would I do it again? Of course. He was family. screwy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifacclaim.gif