• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 100 pagers
3 3

1,414 posts in this topic

Those old 100-pagers are a real nostalgia item for me.

Here's some clickable thumb-nails of my BATMAN and BRAVE & BOLD 100-pagers. Only one of them is graded by CGC which came in at an 8.5. Looks better than that but hey, hard to tell without cracking the case open.

I'll get around to posting the rest of my 100 pagers, including my complete run of DC-4 to DC-22...yes. including an original DC-5 Love Stories. DC-8 is shown here as BATMAN 238. Hope I'm posting these right....

th_Batman261.jpgth_Batman260.jpgth_Batman259CGCB.jpgth_Batman259CGC.jpgth_Batman259.jpg

th_Batman258.jpgth_Batman257.jpgth_Batman256.jpgth_Batman255.jpgth_Batman254.jpg

th_Batman238DC-8.jpgth_BraveBold117.jpgth_BraveBold116.jpgth_BraveBold115.jpgth_BraveBold114.jpg

th_BraveBold113.jpgth_BraveBold112.jpg

Thanks Greggy, I'll do that unfortunately only the one book (so far) is CGC graded.

Some appear to be CGC-worthy but alas, others do not.

So, being new to these CGC boards, does it really matter if the scans are of non-CGC-graded books?

From this site: http://www.dcindexes.com/giants/100page.php

BRONZE AGE GIANTS : DC 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR (SERIES "DC") 1971-1975

In 1971, DC changed the format of their standard comics from 32 pages for 15¢ to 48 pages for 25¢. This conflicted with each of DC's existing giant series (Series "G", DC Special, Super DC Giant, and 25¢ Series) which were already 25¢ for 64 pages.

Rather than raise the price of their 64 page giants, DC pioneered a new format the 100-Page Spectacular, 96 squarebound pages + covers for 50¢. (Note: The last 4 issues of Series "G" were 64 pages for 35¢ since they were stuck between formats during the transition.)

Like Super DC Giant, the numbering system of the new 100-Page Spectaculars was confounding. The series started with #4 (Weird Mystery Tales). Issues #1-3 do not exist. Perhaps as Jon McClure hypothesized in Comic Book Marketplace #69, #4 actually stood for Vol. 4.

More on John McClure's theory...

Way back in #69, July 1999, a fellow by the name of John McClure had an article on all the DC Giants. His thesis is that the 100 Page Super-Spectaculars started as DC-4 because this was "Volume 4" in DC's experiments in Giant-Size books.

John believes:

Volume 1 was the original 80-Page Giants

Volume 2 was the subsequent 68-Page Giants

Volume 3 was the "Super DC Giant" Series, which began with S-13. John believes this was some sort of reverse-code for Volume 3, Number 1.

Volume 4 would be the 100-Page Super-Specs

Then, when DC introduced the Treasury books, they started with the Rudolph one-shot, which could be thought of as Vol 1 Number 1. Then the first Treasury with an issue number is denoted by DC as C-21, which John de-codes as Vol 2, Number 1.

It may seem that John is reaching here, but it makes about as much sense as any other explanation for why first issues pop up with notations like DC-4, S-13, C-21.

My only suggestion is that John McClure's split between Vol 1 and 2 is unlikely. I would imagine either:

Volume 1 is the 80-Page Giant series in its own title (#1-#15) and Volume 2 is everything (80-Page, 68-Page, 52-Page) that continued on in the numbering of the regular series titles; or

Volume 1 is the collection of pre-80-Page Giant #1 one-shots (e.g. Superman Annuals 1- 8, Sgt. Rock's Prize Battle Tales, the original Secret Origins book from 1961, etc.) and Volume 2 is the collection of 80-68-52-Page Giants, both in its own series and later contained in the numbering of its host series).

Whew!

Z.

Absent some information from DC, I'll continue to regard this question as unanswered. McClure seems to be stretching things quite a bit to fit into the numbering scheme that they actually used.