• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early 80's Independants?

11 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about the long-term investment potential of Early-to-Mid `80's Independants, like First Comics, and Pacific? It seems to me that their low print-runs would make some of them a tough find.

Your thoughts...anyone...anyone...Bueller?

What do you guys think about the long-term investment potential of Early-to-Mid `80's Independants, like First Comics, and Pacific? It seems to me that their low print-runs would make some of them a tough find.

Your thoughts...anyone...anyone...Bueller?

Long term investment potential - probably nil. Low print runs, yes. Low demand as well.

I love early 80's independants, but I don't see a lot of long term potential in them at the moment. The best ones were done by creators that have mostly moved away from comics.

But your question raises some good points. Today's comics industry owes a lot to the independant comics of the early 1980's and a lot of that material still stands out as quality material. Why aren't these books perenially in print?

Why hasn't some industrious company come forward and make a deal with the creators to get these comics back into print? I would love to see the American Flagg! graphic novels back in print, the first couple of Elric series available, Bruce Jones' Twisted Tales and Alien Worlds collections available, the complete Nexus, a complete Mage, Jon Sable tpbs, etc.

Kev

You really need two things for investment potential for "dead universe" comics:

1) A comic/company that once had a nice following - this leads to nostalgia.

2) A supply of comics that dries up when (and if) nostalgia takes off.

Otherwise, you've got to have an ongoing series with those titles/characters

to get new people interested in an other-wise dead universe.

Even then, your "investment potential" is dangerous.

You could pay $1 for books and get $2 when you sell? That's doubling your money.

But what if you pay $1 and can't get more than $0.25 each later?

There's a reason people jump on bandwagons...

someone else did all the hard work to get the wheels turning...

Kev and Donut are probably correct: Early '80s Independents likely will settle down somewhere north of '70s Atlas/Seaboard and well south of pre-Unity Valiants in terms of long-term collectibility.

What could change that?

Well, if Dave Stevens ever got his comics jones back and did a high-profile comics project, people might seek out his Rocketeer back-ups from Pacific. Another long shot is if Steve Rude's Marvel work eventually causes fans to seek out early Nexus issues. Extreme long-shot that, because current collectibility is all about characters, not creators (see non-Xmen Byrne...)

The other intriguing possibility is Kev's idea of someone dressing up the best of this period in a format for bookstore sales. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns are still selling TPB copies, after all. If I were Chaykin, I'd forgo my reprint royalties just to get American Flagg out there in order to improve my visibility and employment prospects!

The other intriguing possibility is Kev's idea of someone dressing up the best of this period in a format for bookstore sales. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns are still selling TPB copies, after all. If I were Chaykin, I'd forgo my reprint royalties just to get American Flagg out there in order to improve my visibility and employment prospects!

Why I was just about to chunk my old issues of American Flagg! Now you've given me a reason to keep them... smirk.gif

I still have boxes of old Aircel B/W's (Elflord original and color series, Dragonring, Stark Future, Samurai), some Shatter, some Fish Police, Shuriken, etc.

Most are probably VF-VF+.

$1 each is anyone wants them.

Discounts on multi-buys.

Kev and Donut are probably correct: Early '80s Independents likely will settle down somewhere north of '70s Atlas/Seaboard and well south of pre-Unity Valiants in terms of long-term collectibility.

What could change that?

Well, if Dave Stevens ever got his comics jones back and did a high-profile comics project, people might seek out his Rocketeer back-ups from Pacific. Another long shot is if Steve Rude's Marvel work eventually causes fans to seek out early Nexus issues. Extreme long-shot that, because current collectibility is all about characters, not creators (see non-Xmen Byrne...)

Fantabulous idea about the TPBs! I'd like to have them for my book-shelf, if I could slip them past the CHW (Comic-Hating-Wife).

Another thing that would put the Paddles to them is a Good Movie. Film-rights have got to be faily cheap on an older, failed, series. American Flagg would make a terriffic film (5th Element?), as would the first several issues of Jon Sable. I'd just about give your right arm for a GrimJack flick (I'm pretty attached to MINE... tongue.gif).

I think these books will make huge movements in the next ten years, especially First Comics.

Write that down. makepoint.gif

-Joe

Even then, your "investment potential" is dangerous.

You could pay $1 for books and get $2 when you sell? That's doubling your money.

But what if you pay $1 and can't get more than $0.25 each later?

...Says the VALIANT-man ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

-Joe

If I were Chaykin, I'd forgo my reprint royalties just to get American Flagg out there in order to improve my visibility and employment prospects!

Chaykin is gainfully employed in Hollywood, writing for TV. I dont think he's too interested in drawing comics too much in comparison, though he seems to enjoy creating new characters and concepts for comics...especially for optioning the film/TV rights.

As for collectibility of First Eclipse etc, ...DEFINITELY they will be collectible and have their day at some point. They are 20 years old now so their day is looming!!

If that sounds hard to believe, why are so many collectors going crazy for high grade late 70s Bronze [!@#%^&^] (oops!) Every dog has his day. Plan accordingly! And buy Turtle, too. Theyre up next!!