• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the new Ultimate Spider-man CGC books...

59 posts in this topic

if cgc would let you in there presence take a cgc 9.8 out of the case get a sketch and sig and still be able to retain the 9.8 i would be all over that.i just doubt they would do that for some reason.the sigs bring some good money but if you can get a sketch and a 9.8 well you can take the cake.i also heard that ss can only get as high as a 9.8,but i saw a cgc 9.9 from paradise comics a while back.bob have you ever had any of yours grade out a 9.9? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, I just read this post. I am not going to take sides with anyone, but I will give you observations as to my dealings with the Signature Series books.

1.I originally got into it because I love autographs, and the owner of the store I shop at (Paradise Comics) offered up the idea of the SS to me as a way to get autographs from artists who have not made their way up to Toronto yet. At first my goal was to collect a few and sell a few to make up the costs, and build my collection from that.

2. Now don't quote me on this one, but it may have been Peter Dixon's (Paradise owner) idea to do the SS. Or it may have originated with Steve Borock. Not 100% sure who was the originator of the idea, but I believe it came from talks between the two.

3. The first signing, before the one that was open to the public in Pittisburg, was at the Orlando Comicon in 2002. I had 8 books signed:

Elektra #3 - Greg Horn CGC 9.6

Crisis #9 - George Perez CGC 9.8

Crisis #7 - George Perez CGC 9.4

Amazing Spider-Man #121 - John Romita Jr. CGC 7.0

Amazing Spider-Man #122 - John Romita Jr. CGC 7.5

Dawn #1 - Joe Linsner CGC 9.6

Punisher Vol. 3. #1 - Bernie Wrightson CGC 9.6

Kabuki Fan Edition - David Mack CGC 9.8

Each book cost me $23 to get slabbed, except for the ASM's which cost $28 (total $194). I have sold all of those books over the course of time for a total of $748.52. 893whatthe.gif

I have since gone on to purchase 150 ss books at an average price of $24.48. I have sold 96 books for an average price of $54.11. I also usually have reserves on my books, so if you look at my past auctions, you will notice that some did not sell yet. But eventually they do get sold. I have a solid collection of about 40 books that I will not sell, some that have never been offered for sale. For instance, I am not sure that I will offer up my Green Arrow #1 signed by Matt Wagner and Kevin Smith. But who knows, maybe I will put it up...

3. I have never had a 9.9 SS book. I think there have only ever been 2 or 3 to receive that amount. I doubt highly there will ever be a 10.0 SS book done. I am finding that I am getting more 9.6's on books, that I think should be getting 9.8's. Does that have something to do with the signature? I don't know. Am I just a little off with my grading? It's possible.

4. I have NEVER owned a Stan Lee signature series book. All of the file copies and SS books that were sold by Heritage were owned by Stan Lee. There have been no others...yet! grin.gif

5. The Stan Lee SS books have all received huge amounts from Heritage. With some getting several multiples of guide. Even in low grades, they are the hottest SS books by far.

*deleted*

6. The process that CGC uses is as follows:

- A representative (in my case Peter Dixon), goes to a convention with a # of books that have been given to him by his customers.

- He waits in line and has these books signed by the artists/creators/writers while a CGC rep witnesses the signature.

- The book is then given to CGC and sent for grading with the remarks that it was witnessed and should not be considered as Qualified.

7. If you cracked open a 9.8 in front of a CGC rep, at a show, to get the book signed...they would still have to re-grade it and charge you the full amount for grading of the SS books. That is just the way they do things.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to let me know.

Look, BOC, you've been nothing but nasty to me in EVERY reply you've ever made to me, and I've never been negative to you even once. Do you have some sort of problem that we should take to PM and resolve, or do I just need to avoid you? You've been rude, condescending, and downright surly to me from the start, and I've done NOTHING to instigate it.

Either stop it, explain it, or just keep away from me.

It all goes back to that time in the Australian Outback when you let a Dingo eat his baby.

He's never forgiven you for that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

They're serving babies at Outback now?!?!?!? I can order up a 7-month old with my Bloomin' Onion?!?!? WOO HOO! Take-out, here I come!

Look, BOC, you've been nothing but nasty to me in EVERY reply you've ever made to me, and I've never been negative to you even once. Do you have some sort of problem that we should take to PM and resolve, or do I just need to avoid you? You've been rude, condescending, and downright surly to me from the start, and I've done NOTHING to instigate it.

Either stop it, explain it, or just keep away from me.

It all goes back to that time in the Australian Outback when you let a Dingo eat his baby.

He's never forgiven you for that. 893naughty-thumb.gif

They're serving babies at Outback now?!?!?!? I can order up a 7-month old with my Bloomin' Onion?!?!? WOO HOO! Take-out, here I come!

Bwah-ha-ha-ha!!! 893Funny-thumb.gif

Thanks BOB for the info you have posted. I'm a new collector, this forum is like an encyclopedia for me, learning everyday by just reading your discussions. I extend my thanks to all experienced collectors that have contributed their knowledge on a variety of topics.

Thanks for the humor, fellas! It lightens the forum up. That's what I appreciate. I have NO idea why one certain member has, on more than one occasion, gone out of his way to be rude to me (my feelings aren't part opf this, I just don't think I should have to get hassled by Flash Thompson when I haven't brought it on myself). The levity and information the rest of you bring is very welcome.

Maybe it's just the inevitable tension that will always exist when an Indian and a Real Estate developer come together? wink.gif

Indian

That's not very politically correct. I thought you liked to be called "Redskins" or "Injuns"? tongue.gif

Chris

Hmmm...Let me run that question by the American Indian Movement...Or the National Congress of American Indians...

*grin!*

If I understand you correctly, you are stating your willingness to buy these comics at prices somewhat more than they sold for 1 to 2 years ago, and which have gone up considerably since then? Would that be the same as paying today's market prices? Or less?

Or are you offerring TOP prices for any and all copies available in your confidence that they are still "cheap"?

Ultimate Spiderman 1 CGC 9.8 White for $500

Red $350

Variant $350

Ultimate Spiderman 3 CGC 9.8 $225

Ultimate Spiderman 5 CGC 9.8 $300

These would be my buying prices too...because right now I can flip these on eBay fora couple hundred dollars more in these grades wink.gif

Hi Guys...Permit me to introduce my New Member. Er, I mean permit me to introduce myself as a new member. Sorry.

Anyway, I've come into possession of several highly graded Ulimate Spidey's (multiple # 1's) and was hoping some of you could share some of your strategies for selling these, or any books, on EBay. Do you use reserves? Or just put it up for the minimum you would take on the book?

I have a run of high grade USM's, multiples in many cases, and would like to flip some extras on EBay. Any input from you guys would be appreciated. Thanks.

Doubt you'd need to put reserves on the #1's. The bidding will go high on those, esp. if they are HG. What are the grades? # of copies you have? etc...

Welcome to the Boards! smile.gif

Chris

Thanks for the welcome Chris.

I've got about 5 copies each of the Red and White # 1 covers, graded 9.6 - 9.8. I also have a few more in transit to CGC. I've given some thought to holding onto them until Spidey 2 comes out, but taking into account what they're going for now, I figure it makes sense to cash out on some of them now, and reinvest in more inventory.

What books do you collect?

I'd sell a few, and keep a few. Sell the remaining one's during Spidey 2 movie hype. Wouldn't hold onto all of them until the next Spidey movie.

I can't remember what Batman books did at the time of the second movie, but I know there wasn't a price explosion like w/ the first one. I'd expect to see the same pattern w/ Spidey as w/ Batman.

I collect Fantastic Four, Ultimate Spidey, Vertigo Books, Daredevil, anything w/ Doc Doom on the cover, Horror titles, Orig. Art, whatever floats my boat at the time.

Chris